Grid Sage Forums

• April 30, 2024, 05:16:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Wishful Thinking: Multi-Window Support  (Read 1242 times)

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
Wishful Thinking: Multi-Window Support
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »

Angband and its variants have multi-window support.

And it's godly. Holy hell is it glorious. You can customize the font size on each individual window, you can resize them, you can pick which ones you want there, you can go completely without them. They're an optional feature that makes life easier for people who know it's there prefer them.

I think Cogmind would benefit by having something similar available. It'd allow for more(or less) space to be taken up by the map depending on your tastes. It'd allow multi-monitor setups to feel like massive robot access terminals. Most of all, it'd allow my ally and calc windows up simultaneously.

I have no idea if it's even remotely feasible without a massive rewrite, and I doubt it'd be doable within any sort of shortish timeframe. Like the thread title says, this is entirely wishful thinking.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Wishful Thinking: Multi-Window Support
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:40:11 AM »

Yeah, it's not feasible because it would require a complete move to another engine. The engine sitting under mine doesn't do multiple screens. I played Angband before and honestly I really thought that was cool. So customizable...

As for your other windows, if you don't have multiple monitors you can always use windowed mode. I actually enjoy playing in a 720p window which only takes up a small part of my main monitor. It's easier to "see everything at once" in a smaller window, too.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon