Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 07:35:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Flying over allied/disabled bots  (Read 766 times)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Flying over allied/disabled bots
« on: December 29, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »

I contemplated adding this to already present thread in confirmed bugs board but after all you should decide whether this thread goes there, even if cause is very likely to be the same.

1) If you fly over some robots but an allied bot is part of the chain you will still swap with them, even if said ally has nonflight propulsion. I am okay with being unable to fly over an adjacent ally for game simlicity.

2) There is no way to rewire disabled bots while you are flying. I avoid the problem by turning my propulsion off but this deprives me of avoidance benefits granted by flying. Same for maneuvering thrusters.

The flying over robots seems to just do a move to remote square with all its consequences. If so, this would benefit from being thought over.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Flying over allied/disabled bots
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:12:14 AM »

Maybe my brain is playing tricks on me, but I can't find the thread you're referring to under Confirmed Bugs. Could you point it out? (And while I recall having addressed a related issue, I don't see it anywhere for some reason, not in my TODO list nor in my changelog. Strange, maybe my search terms are incorrect...)

For #1 I guess the code will have to get yet more complicated, then, because technically you should still be able to clear the whole group. Fliers will get mad if it's not possible as expected, but yeah swapping with non-adjacent non-fliers does seem awkward and unrealistic. Widmo, finding the obscure stuff :P

#2 I don't mind as is, however. I think it makes sense to require that fliers get down and stop zipping around for a turn to attempt the rewiring (rewiring is also intended to be a dangerous thing to do in combat, whereas out of combat you have all the time you need). To keep the UI interaction simple, rewiring is purely a bump action, so with fliers it has to be a choice between one effect or the other, and jumping is the safer preference here. Note that to compensate, it is likely that in a future release any Datajack (remote or melee) will be able to automatically rewire bots on the first hit, if you have one.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »

Maybe my brain is playing tricks on me, but I can't find the thread you're referring to under Confirmed Bugs. Could you point it out? (And while I recall having addressed a related issue, I don't see it anywhere for some reason, not in my TODO list nor in my changelog. Strange, maybe my search terms are incorrect...)
The thread is here. It was named "Interacting with machines remotely". The name was not as precise as it could be since it hid itself from you, so I edited it and added "by flying over a line of bots".

Widmo, finding the obscure stuff :P
Hope next release is not going to be delayed too much by having all found bugs or inconsistencies piled on you like that. Considering currently confirmed bugs are full of threads started by me the time you spent fixing those likely has cost you more than I have paid for Alpha already. :P

#2 I don't mind as is, however. I think it makes sense to require that fliers get down and stop zipping around for a turn to attempt the rewiring (rewiring is also intended to be a dangerous thing to do in combat, whereas out of combat you have all the time you need).
Aha! Then may I suggest something along those lines be entered as a disadvantage into the manual?

Note that to compensate, it is likely that in a future release any Datajack (remote or melee) will be able to automatically rewire bots on the first hit, if you have one.
Nice, although flying is definitely the most powerful mobility option for stealth/hacker builds already. I personally think it does not need buffing.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 03:54:59 AM »

It was named "Interacting with machines remotely". The name was not as precise as it could be since it hid itself from you, so I edited it and added "by flying over a line of bots".
Oh right, that one, hehe. I had thought it was a dedicated thread and didn't recall that the interactive one was caused by jumping! (I only marked it down to fix, rather than actually fixing it yet, and it was filed under "flight + interactive machines" rather than jumping, so my searches weren't pulling it up :P)

Hope next release is not going to be delayed too much by having all found bugs or inconsistencies piled on you like that. Considering currently confirmed bugs are full of threads started by me the time you spent fixing those likely has cost you more than I have paid for Alpha already. :P
Oh not at all! And besides, all of this stuff needs to be fixed/addressed anyway, so better to get it out of the way as soon as possible (to make room for whatever pops up next release xD). And while you're the one doing most of the recent Alpha 12 reporting on the forums, I've received even more reports of different issues over other channels. There's plenty more than just this board--could be at least two dozen fixes in Alpha 13 (generally for small stuff, though, as usual).

In all bugs occupy only a small fraction of a single release's dev time, as most are easy to track down and fix. It's the new content and feature requests which take up most of the time.

#2 I don't mind as is, however. I think it makes sense to require that fliers get down and stop zipping around for a turn to attempt the rewiring (rewiring is also intended to be a dangerous thing to do in combat, whereas out of combat you have all the time you need).
Aha! Then may I suggest something along those lines be entered as a disadvantage into the manual?
Good suggestion :)

Note that to compensate, it is likely that in a future release any Datajack (remote or melee) will be able to automatically rewire bots on the first hit, if you have one.
Nice, although flying is definitely the most powerful mobility option for stealth/hacker builds already. I personally think it does not need buffing.
Quite true. It's definitely already the easiest, although while here I've used the word "compensate," it's not really intended only for fliers anyway, just anyone who might be able to take advantage of it. I'm most interested in this mechanic potentially giving combat bots another good reason to carry around a Remote Datajack.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon