• April 27, 2024, 01:04:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 113437 times)

mugsy

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2016, 06:27:53 PM »

Hi there,

Just dropping this post to say hello. I'm not usually much of a talker on community boards but if I get hooked on the content and the game i tend to lurk a lot, so hi to everybody who I end up forum stalking :)

I started to download all the ASCII games I could find after a passing obsession with dwarf fortress and ended up playing a reasonable amount of brogue due to its simplicity (even though I surprisingly never finished it) and a lot of dwarf fortress for... well... dwarf fortress! I very much enjoyed DiabloRL and AliensRL and i was pleasantly surprised when i found cogmind and how good the feature set was going to be.

I can't wait to dive in and give it a go as the game seems a perfect fit for what I was looking for in the others. Unfortunately I can't really afford the $43 price tag in my region at the moment and i can't get the 7DRL version to stop crashing (I have only managed to get it running long enough to die once, otherwise its just CTD 50 odd times) #Devastated :'( I am reading through the forums clawing my eyes out to get my hands on the game but will have to wait until it releases on GoG, which i suppose isn't the end of the world and it seems to be in a good state right now.

Other games (Favorites roughly in order):
Quake 2, Borderlands 2, Dark Reign, Unreal, Grand Prix Legends, Dawn of War, Race07, Powerslide, Skyrim, C&C Generals, Fallout 4, Fallout 3, League of Legends, Minecraft, Warcraft 3.

Edit: and how could I forget these!
Heavy gear, mech warrior 2, mech warrior 4, crimson skies, xwing vs tie fighter, xcom interceptor(thank goodness for the bug free GoG release!).

A good mix, I can find games i like in all genres...

I spent waaaaay too much time playing league of legends hahaha. Times have changes though, recent patches push the meta towards champs with broken kits and damage and games are less fun when that then requires to use of tanks who can't kill each other...

When not playing game. (not playing games?)
01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01110101 01110100 01100101

I have a young son now, he just went 9 months old and he is more important than all that rubbish anyway (and the reason i cant afford cogmind!) and when i am not working and not playing games i am spending time with him... as i bloody well should! He is a great little kid and is more than making up for the inconveniences of having children! He is currently 97th percentile for height and a little fatty, he is going to be so expensive to feed! At least his first word was dad, he can have anything after that <3

Can't wait to play cogmind!

Cheers,
mugsy
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:55:11 PM by mugsy »

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »

01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01110101 01110100 01100101

This is nasty! Forcing poor programmers to go through the hassle of translating this by exploiting their curiosity!

mugsy

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2016, 08:38:07 PM »

This is nasty! Forcing poor programmers to go through the hassle of translating this by exploiting their curiosity!

Yeah, i'm sorry... and i'm kinda not.
i was laughing the whole time trying to write it knowing some of you could not resist checking it, so troll.

should i edit it to show what it is?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2016, 12:47:58 AM »

Hi mugsy! Welcome to lurk, we have plenty of lurkers, some of whom have similarly announced they are lurking :P

And I admit I immediately went to translate that binary, too. In fact, there is one place in the game where you can find a similar text record ;). (And there will be more coming soon, though I do try to keep them short because I'm sure some players can't resist.)

No need to edit it!

Wow, someone who likes X-Com Interceptor. That's rare :P

At least his first word was dad, he can have anything after that <3
Haha, that's great. As a fellow dad with a young son (now 4), I can say time for games will definitely be reduced in the future!

Cogmind is overly expensive to buy through the site from outside the US. Darned taxes... Steam/GOG will be able to cover that.

About the 7DRL version, it's not buggy so it shouldn't be crashing. There must be something going on related to your particular system/setup (for example, it won't work properly in a directory path that uses non-English characters, and needs admin access, etc.). I can help you out with that if you give me the run.log file after it crashes.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

mugsy

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2016, 06:27:28 AM »

Wow, someone who likes X-Com Interceptor. That's rare :P

hey, now now... x-com interceptor was great :P

the way i took it, interceptor was a more action based style of approaching the same concept. and to be honest its the same difference that's drawing me towards cogmind... to your credit of course.

when playing any of the old x-com games, i always loved the macro management part of the game. in fact i enjoyed the macro so much that the micro in the tactical engagements started to get in the way of what i was enjoying and i started looking for ways to mod in an auto resolve into early versions of openxcom when that became available. to this day if i could get a version of those games with much quicker engagements then back to macro, maybe make the macro game longer and harder... i would play the crap out of it again.

enter x-com interceptor. the one everyone hated. my dark horse. the best thing ever!
it had everything i liked and nothing i didn't... the macro play was slightly more engaging to me and the engagements we fast a furious, and if you were tragic enough like me you bound the wingman speech controls to voice activated macros and controlled your squad with semi realistic speech with perfectly acceptable feedback... it lasted a minute or 2 and you get back to the real action!

but hey... that's just me.

I also had a crack at x@com today. pretty nice! there was something refreshing about the slightly different take on it. i didn't get much time to really get into it though.
after my rant about macro vs micro... i enjoyed having one without the other, if you know what i mean.

cheers,
mugsy

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »

Now I see!

I always loved both parts of the old X-Com games equally. I do hope to eventually fill in the other half of X@COM (and of course make the current half much, much better). I know what you mean about the "having one without the other," though. Certainly more focused. I was playing it for a bit yesterday, in order to get some screenshots for my latest FOV blog post, and that was pretty fun.

Cogmind is definitely taking the quicker action-oriented route.

Interesting to hear you were playing around with OXC. In fact, that code base had some influences on the architecture of my own X@COM engine many years ago. I used to hang out on the OXC forums while working on X@COM, too, and still visit almost every day, actually :). (That pirate conversion is looking awesome.)

GreyGoldFish

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Introducing myself
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »

Hello, I am GreyGoldFish, and I have known Cogmind for a long time. The concept always fascinated me, and I'd spend a long time reading some of the developer's posts. It was just now though, that I finally decided to purchase this game. I love playing rogue-like games, such as Dwarf Fortress and Cataclysm, and now I have Cogmind to play as well!

Just a short introduction, I wanted to get acquainted with some people of the forums.

Cheers!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2016, 08:35:35 PM »

Welcome GreyGoldFish! (I merged your thread with the self-intro thread we have for this sorta thing)

Thanks for joining us! We certainly have lots of players from different roguelike backgrounds--DF and CDDA are of course popular :). (Actually, Shobalk is looking for DCSS teammates right now if you're into DCSS, too! It's an excellent roguelike.)

The best way to get acquainted in the long term is to try out the weekly seeds, and eventually provide feedback on the releases and join any ongoing mechanics discussions.

mathSq

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »

Hey, everyone!

How did you learn about Cogmind?

I learned about it a while back, browsing some roguelike-related website (was it /r/roguelikes?). From there I casually kept up with the game's development. One day I got really interested in the game; from there I binge-read all of the devblog posts, watched a few video LPs, and finally couldn't resist buying it :)

What other roguelikes do you enjoy?

I'm pretty busy during the academic year, but I enjoy playing games when I get the chance.

On the more traditional side, I kinda hop between roguelikes; the ones I keep coming back to are DCSS (I play on akrasiac every so often) and Brogue. I think the farthest I've gotten in DCSS is to the bottom of Lair and Dungeon, but I don't recall ever having gotten a rune. I haven't played either of those in a while, though.

On the roguelite side, FTL has got to be my favorite. I've beaten it once or twice on Easy, but never on Normal.

What are your other favorite games?

Because of the whole "busy" thing, I keep on coming back to Super Hexagon, mostly because I can play it in a minute. I've beaten all six levels.

I used to play Minecraft (mostly PvP) and CS:GO when I had a better computer.

What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?

I study Computer Science, so that takes up a lot of my time. Other than that, I just watch people play games--or read about games. I usually know way too much about a game by the time I actually buy it ;D

Overall, I'm happy to join this community, and I'm pretty excited to launch into Cogmind for the first time! (And probably die in -10/Materials, but we'll see...)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »

Welcome, mathSq!

/r/roguelikes is one of the main communities where you might come across Cogmind in the wild, so that's likely :)

If you've gone back to read nearly three years of blog posts, you are very well versed in the history of the game! I'm curious if down the road you'll be able to do better at Cogmind than DCSS, but either way it usually takes a little getting used to at first.

mathSq

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2016, 11:31:45 PM »

Welcome, mathSq!

/r/roguelikes is one of the main communities where you might come across Cogmind in the wild, so that's likely :)

If you've gone back to read nearly three years of blog posts, you are very well versed in the history of the game! I'm curious if down the road you'll be able to do better at Cogmind than DCSS, but either way it usually takes a little getting used to at first.

Yeah, it probably was /r/roguelikes. I don't have a Reddit account, but I enjoy lurking there.

And let's hope that curiosity becomes reality... My first run just ended on -10/Materials after fending off an endless stream of hostiles and having no clue how the whole "positioning" thing works. My score: 620 :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:39 PM »

Haha, yeah, I was going to add a bit about that generally being the case, but having already read/seen a good bit before starting you probably knew that already ;).

Death will come swiftly for a little while until you've got the basics down and find your niche. Good luck!

rumpel

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2016, 09:00:47 AM »

Hey there! I finally got Cogmind too! :3

I learned about Cogmind back when the Bay12 thread was opened. I'm mostly playing DF, URW, Cataclysm:DDA and Caves of Qud in terms of roguelike(-ish) games. My other favorite games are Dota and CS:GO and the grand strategy stuff from Paradox. When I'm not playing any game, then I'm mostly watching stuff, sleep or eat. :p

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »

Oh hey rumpel! So you did take the dive, after all.

You've been following for quite a while then! The Bay 12 thread's been there since the beginning :)

Good selection of roguelikes there--the latest DF update looks especially cool.

So you're into Paradox, but not playing Stellaris yet? Or are you *also* playing that right now? :P Looks like a really neat game. I much prefer pure turn-based rather than the pauseable variety, but Stellaris looks like it does a lot of interesting new things, and I always used to love grand strategy... (haven't played much in the way of games for several years, though, being a dad and all!) Been thinking about trying that one if I ever do get a new computer.

rumpel

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2016, 11:01:59 AM »

Yeah, I'm finally in and learning the ropes of Cogmind.

Of course I am playing Stellaris, too! :D It really is a nice game I'm enjoying a lot. I'm really looking forward to all the mods/DLC that will be there in the future.

And yeah, I can imagine that having a family and making a game consumes a lot of time, but everything got its negatives and positives. :)

By the way, am I qualified to get that cool forum badge?  8)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:03:37 AM by rumpel »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2016, 08:30:10 PM »

Ah okay, so you are playing it :P

Eventually hopefully one of the positives is that I can also enjoy playing some games with my son, but it's still way too early for that!

Yup, got your badge. I checked yesterday and hadn't yet seen any new registrations--I update manually every so often since it's not an automated system.

rumpel

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »

Cool, thanks! :) I thought of something like that you checked for new registrations, but because I created my account back in June 2015 there wasn't any new registration. :D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »

Oh ha, that was back at the beginning :P. Yeah I just check form registrations, not forum registrations, since there are others who sign up without even having the game, or for REXPaint, for example.

sandersan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »

Hello! A newbie on Cogmind!
I just purchased the Alpha Tier last month! A totally new roguelike experience! But still, a lot of questions while playing the game. BTW, is there any active instant messaging group?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »

Hi sandersan! Thanks ;D

There were only a few interested in IRC, which was somewhat alive for a time last year, so chat-wise there aren't a lot of options right now. (I don't have time to keep the IRC channel alive myself since it's very distracting :P) The best way to get feedback is to post any specific questions on the forums, and there are of course lots of other resources out there already, including videos and text posts.

Another possibility is to stop by my stream, which is not very frequent or regular, but I'll be streaming this Friday EST, probably by 9:30 PM, for at least several hours. There will often be other players around who would be happy to answer your questions in chat (and I answer questions, too :) ), plus you can watch in real time to see how things work and ask any questions related to that.

sandersan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »

Thank you! However, I am the player in PRC, which is in +8:00 Time Zone. So unfortunately, I might not catch up with you. It doesn't matter. I could still follow the threads on the forum.
BTW, have you ever considered to add the function for live chatting in the final release? To be more detailed, each purchaser could login with their id and chat in an open chatting room or some private rooms set up by specific players?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2016, 08:48:30 PM »

You and I are in the same time zone ;)

I only report times in EST because the majority of players are in the US, or at least familiar with EST so it's a good reference point. The stream time is around 10:00 AM for us here on Saturday (tomorrow).

Chatting in game (like you see in ToME4) wouldn't really be feasible. Not impossible, I guess, but the architecture isn't really set up for it so it would be a massive undertaking (completely outside me realm of expertise, at that :P). In terms of the design it would also ruin the atmosphere I'm trying to create. In any case, I think later on it'll be easier to find other players in real time via other methods outside the game, once there are even more people playing.

sandersan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2016, 12:16:12 AM »

Are you also in Asia?!

But I found there are hunderds of players on the supporters list. It's not a tiny group now. However, it really does considering to be sell on steam.(But it is certain to develope a extremely bigger group when release on steam)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2016, 12:27:27 AM »

I'm in Taipei. Where you at in China? (I saw your IRC post.)

Yeah, the number of players will certainly go up once it reaches Steam, and while it's certainly not a tiny group right now, not everyone plays every version, and even some others bought to support the game but aren't actually playing, opting to wait for 1.0 instead. That and a lot of players will stop by here to get news and read other posts but aren't actually active in discussions. It is a single-player roguelike, after all :P

sandersan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2016, 12:41:35 AM »

I'm in Hebei, PRC. 你是臺灣朋友嗎?
Are you the member of the developers?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11