Grid Sage Forums

• April 20, 2024, 06:48:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: DCSS .18 Tournament  (Read 3640 times)

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
DCSS .18 Tournament
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »

I've been participating in the DCSS bi-annual tournament for a few years now.  It's been quite a bit of fun.

This year, my normal team has a bit of overflow, and I'm thinking of setting up a supplemental team with Cogminders.

Would anybody be interested?  You can find more information here.

I know zxc has played a little  ;D

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: DCSS .18 Tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 03:33:38 AM »

I had intended on playing in the next tournament from a while back, but I can't now for several reasons, including the fact that I've been very busy. I've had very little time for games of late which is a shame. I am however working on a DCSS scoreboard project with a friend. Maybe in the next few weeks/months you'll hear about it some more. :)

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »

I was working on a DCSS ladder project a while back, but lost steam.  It was pretty awesome.  I should revisit it ;)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 11:21:08 AM »

Interested to learn what you mean by ladder project. Some sort of competitive league?

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 09:43:32 PM »

Interested to learn what you mean by ladder project. Some sort of competitive league?

Boy, you're going to make me jog my memory here.  I think it worked something like this.
  • It was tiered by experience level (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, master) something like that.
  • You could join any level (except master) that you thought matched your ability.
  • You'd get to play 1 game per week for as long a season lasted.  That game would be scored and count toward your ladder ranking.  If you died early on.  Too bad.  Wait until the next week.  You could play a game that spanned multiple weeks if you wanted, but you'd only get credit for the week you started in, and you'd miss out on the weeks you overran.
  • Games would be scored on a variety of things.  Somewhat similar to the tournament scene.
  • After the season ended it would run some calculations and possibly move you up or down a league based on your performance.  Master level was only attainable by being slotted up from platinum.

Edit:  https://github.com/jrmitch120/CrawlLeague.  Looks like this is it ;)  Been a while though...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:47:15 PM by Shobalk »

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 12:51:28 AM »

That sounds a lot like the sudden death tournament they used to run on https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=f137278ad27e4f5672e03aa9e79b6a29 aka CSDC. They had different player groups based on skill and a round each week.

With the scoreboard we're planning on eventually having seasons and essentially 'ladder resets' of highscores etc. which hopefully will spur on more competition. There's a lot of stuff in the works and in planning. Maybe a week by week competition like that could be incorporated.

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:08 AM »

Let me know when you have something going.  I'll guinea pig it.