Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 08:43:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #25 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Emergency Access]  (Read 4832 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #25 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Emergency Access]
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »

I have started omitting the scrapyard screenshot as it wasn't interesting or necessary, but let me know if it actually was. May you find many secret passages in this seed!

This week's seed: Emergency Access

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Emergency Access] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #25 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Emergency Access]
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:40:03 PM »

Hm, I would argue that the only shot necessary is the Scrapyard, because you can tell from the labeled parts whether or not it's the right seed. I normally just look at one or two of the northernmost parts (and/or the matter numbers) to make sure they match.

As we saw last time, showing the Materials entrance area (which being more immediately recognizable for its shape) can give you extra information like that Operator that was going to report you as soon as you entered. In fact, on seeing that I couldn't resist equipping treads while still in the Scrapyard since it would give me extra starting protection armor for the inevitable confrontation, which might (and did!) compound into multiple confrontations in quick succession.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:22 PM »

Going to stream this one in 10 minutes. (Hopefully this time with more hacking!)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 11:59:42 PM »

Well, I feel confident I could've crushed this seed had I gone with my familiar strategies, but I was branching out and playing around with hacking, and made one wrong decision when I came up against a Behemoth in an area I had to pass through.

It happened right as I was in the middle of transitioning to a full hacker build, already with tons and tons of hacking gear. I owned those terminals. But I still wasn't fast enough, and lacked sensors, so when I was forced into a battle with a ton of guys they eventually ripped me apart. I almost survived that confrontation, but not quite... Went down on -4/Factory.

My defensive plan would've gone perfectly had I not made it so that overloaded Fabricator attacks have an EM spectrum, which in this case almost immediately took out a robot and destroyed the Fabricator itself. Overloading isn't as reliable as I thought because it might detonate power sources which are close enough to shut down the Fabricator.

This is a pretty good seed for hacking, actually, I just should've started off with faster propulsion from the start and gotten into that groove early. I'm not used to doing that xD

Spoiler: Score: 8,558 (click to show/hide)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 12:08:57 AM »

Hm, I would argue that the only shot necessary is the Scrapyard, because you can tell from the labeled parts whether or not it's the right seed. I normally just look at one or two of the northernmost parts (and/or the matter numbers) to make sure they match.

As we saw last time, showing the Materials entrance area (which being more immediately recognizable for its shape) can give you extra information like that Operator that was going to report you as soon as you entered. In fact, on seeing that I couldn't resist equipping treads while still in the Scrapyard since it would give me extra starting protection armor for the inevitable confrontation, which might (and did!) compound into multiple confrontations in quick succession.

Darn... Well I will argue that neither of the screenshots are necessary since it tells you what seed was entered. At least the second shot I think is an interesting 'draw' to the seed. I just run out of the scrapyard naked to take a screenshot before suicide quitting!

I haven't changed my starting loadout based on the entrance. I always just grab all weapons, engines, equip legs, and stash treads.

Interesting that you always upgrade weapon slots even with a hacking focus K! Will you ever go with a somewhat pacifistic (perhaps flying) hacker?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »

Darn... Well I will argue that neither of the screenshots are necessary since it tells you what seed was entered. At least the second shot I think is an interesting 'draw' to the seed. I just run out of the scrapyard naked to take a screenshot before suicide quitting!
Yeah, I would agree there that neither shot is really necessary, though it helps to be able to visually confirm that you're in the right place, since slight spelling errors/typos are more likely to go unnoticed than a complete picture. Still, maybe cut out the images entirely then? I guess players wanting to participate should be vigilant in confirming that the seed has been entered correctly.

Interesting that you always upgrade weapon slots even with a hacking focus K! Will you ever go with a somewhat pacifistic (perhaps flying) hacker?
Yes, honestly I am handicapping myself there. It was mostly because I felt uncertain of a hacking run due to the problems I had obtaining hackware last week. This time I had plenty of hackware, but I found that my slot distribution was pretty messed up later on...

I really need to not do that next time, and instead build a real hacker from the start.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »

Not the best run, but I saw some new things.  Spoiler heavy, so I'll just spoiler the entire summary:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The scoresheet:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:43:02 PM »

You spent a good part of the game on fairly high alert! A combination of both your intentional detour and large number of friends ;).

Allies can surely be a double-edged sword you may not always want. Working with them requires a different play style, but in most cases you'll need to be ready for the security spike. That said, there is an ever-increasing number of sources of allies, and eventually getting through much of the game with them should be a possibility.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 06:50:17 AM »

In other news, the nerf to tunneling is palpable.  In  a separate game, I hacked the stairs on -5 and made a beeline to them.  The path I was going down turned out to be a dead end, but I was maybe 10 tiles away from the stairs.  I began burrowing towards it with a matter neutralizer, forgetting about the change.  This prompted at least 3 cave-ins on me.  Ouch. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:21:19 AM »

Ah, you're the first to comment on it. I was waiting for Decker to get himself killed :P

So yeah, the new lesson is: don't do that. There are still multiple ways to tunnel effectively, but firing a cannon in a fresh tunnel is not one of them, heh.

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 07:47:03 AM »

Do melee weapons trigger cave ins?  I wonder if it's still possible to make a kill hole a la DCSS, and then using melee weapons to chop up enemies one on one. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 08:07:07 AM »

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 04:17:58 PM »

this run with my brand new mini-maschine. again i'am so happy about all these controll-options.
because i really need the vi-keys here and yeah works great...on my big maschienes i play with numpad.
have to run with text-font-size of 12 and it's total ok for me...but i know most of the parts.
but smaller i think it is a torture for your eyes if you want to start a serious run...

miss my singnal-interpreter :/
have i start a pedition or something to get my good old signal-interpreters back ?^^
don't like these 'use-me-one-time' new ones. but ok better then no interpreters at all.

in the run self i saved a lot because of the fear of the 'rare'-bug who happend to me more then three-times since last release on different maschienes

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 01:55:50 AM »

Interesting build with that walking hacker Cogmind laden with cannons. Similar in nature to what I was running.

miss my singnal-interpreter :/
have i start a pedition or something to get my good old signal-interpreters back ?^^
don't like these 'use-me-one-time' new ones. but ok better then no interpreters at all.
But but you still have signal interpreters! They're not "single use" if you just protect them :)

Good thing at least you have many control options ;). And I'm thinking about looking into a new default font as well, though it probably won't be better than Terminus in terms of readability, which is already available as an option and preferred on smaller screens.

in the run self i saved a lot because of the fear of the 'rare'-bug who happend to me more then three-times since last release on different maschienes
Yeah, I just had a look at the records and the bug that got you (and a couple other people) is the one that crashed my game during the stream, which I've fixed but it's waiting until the next release. The cause is very specific and I've detailed it here. So just don't do that and you'll be fine :P

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 06:57:27 AM »

Almost forgot to mention, there's a bug in my scoresheet:

Total Allies               0
  Largest Group            0
  Highest-Rated Group      0
  Highest-Rated Ally       0

I wish that had been true!

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 07:02:18 AM »

I just finished my run. I recorded it (no commentary) and am uploading it to youtube right now. Extraordinary ending...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 07:18:32 AM »

Almost forgot to mention, there's a bug in my scoresheet:

Total Allies               0
  Largest Group            0
  Highest-Rated Group      0
  Highest-Rated Ally       0

I wish that had been true!
Hm, actually not a bug, just unclear what "allies" means here. "Allies" are those which appear in your list of allies (F6), i.e. the controllable ones. So really all the records are for allies you actually control, not other robots that happen to be just "friendly," and in some cases may even leave.

This is true for every use of the word "ally" in the score sheet (there are many others). Part of the reason is that there's a length limit on the score sheet entry names, so adding in "Controllable" everywhere takes up too much space.

One reason I don't expand it to include all friendlies is that not all friendlies actually follow you around, and might be doing things elsewhere on the map so they shouldn't really be tallied into your stats.

I could have all these different instances check to make sure they are allies and/or friendlies that are actually following you, though that's a lot more calculations :/. I took the simple way for now, even though it's a bit misleading...

Extraordinary ending...
o_O

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »

My run:

Spoilers for everyone that isn't Kyzrati.

Insanity begins around 2:12:34 and doesn't let up until the end, 11 minutes later. And again, spoilers spoilers spoilers...

Morgue

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »

The last leg of that run is simply epic.  I wonder if anyone's ever escaped with less core remaining.  Amazing job dude. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »

Wow, when you run you really run ;). Epic escape through the back wall of that room--yay for terrain scanners!

And so lucky you ran across that Cycler placement. Really tough decision when you found the front door first and had to head around the back side, eh? I wonder if you could have survived by charging the Behemoths.

That worker blocking you in the last tunnel must've been annoying, and then you got totally surrounded by Programmers and blocked by a narrow tunnel filled with other service bots.

Of course, the luckiest part here would be that shot that opened the shell. I guess it was a Behemoth that was alerted and penetrated through the main doors? Couldn't have come from anywhere else... That's a heck of a lot of programmers there watching your departure :P

Brilliant run, thanks for sharing!

The last leg of that run is simply epic.  I wonder if anyone's ever escaped with less core remaining.  Amazing job dude. 
I'm not sure if anyone's won with less remaining core, but certainly there have been plenty of floor exits with only 1-10 integrity :)

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 08:51:10 PM »

I got lucky in so many ways. Of course, I also got unlucky too, particularly with the -4 map and the enemy placement on -1. After rewatching it several times, I've noticed many mistakes, in all parts of the run, and also in that final segment. I've had a lot of close wins and near wins, but that one was in a different category altogether.

At the end I assumed it was a programmer that somehow breached the shell. Nothing else seemed to be around. I don't think anything else would've been near at that point except maybe those swarmers, but if they were, then they were out of LOS and wouldn't have fired. The turn I gave up hope, my fortune turned around.

edit: going frame by frame it really looks as though one of the programmer shots breached the shell to me. Before it happened I assumed that was impossible, and I was trying to circle back around to the front so that maybe something else would attempt to fire at me and breach it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:24:55 AM by zxc »