Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 08:56:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Option for making palette (like CTRL+SHIFT+E) but for a clipboard contents  (Read 1581 times)

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile

Hi Kyzrati,
Like in the title, this is just suggestion, low-priority, currently I simply copy-paste into new image then do the regular CTRL+SHIFT+E, usually using in combination with the killer 'D'-depth.

Fun fact, I run RP on ubuntu (with wine), there is a key-stroke collision with gnome's text input. By default pressing CTRL+SHIFT+E starts to produce emoticons. Remapping it to use <Super> modifier additionally fixes the problem.
gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey $'[\'<Control><Super><Shift>e\']'
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 02:37:52 AM by gumix »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Option for making palette (like CTRL+SHIFT+E) but for a clipboard contents
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 05:33:18 PM »

Hi Kyzrati,
Like in the title, this is just suggestion, low-priority, currently I simply copy-paste into new image then do the regular CTRL+SHIFT+E, usually using in combination with the killer 'D'-depth.
Hey gumix, so you're talking about making a palette from clipboard contents? I'd say that might be just a bit too specific for something I'd want to add as a feature, even in 2.0. Unless it turns out it's easy enough to add via a new menu system and doesn't add too much clutter, but in general I think it might have too few use cases and the alternative to achieve this effect isn't very onerous compared to how often anyone might use it (as you say, using an empty image as an intermediary).

I guess I could ask more about how this sort of need fits into your workflow, like how frequently and why you need to do this.

Fun fact, I run RP on ubuntu (with wine), there is a key-stroke collision with gnome's text input. By default pressing CTRL+SHIFT+E starts to produce emoticons. Remapping it to use <Super> modifier additionally fixes the problem.
gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey $'[\'<Control><Super><Shift>e\']'
Aw, too bad REXPaint doesn't have the same remapping support that I added for Cogmind, something I should do eventually... (pretty time-consuming and error-prone though, not a great solution)

At least 2.0 would likely have a more in-depth menu system that also allows people to have alternatives to so many hotkeys.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 02:47:14 AM »

Hi, yes your're probably right it is quite specific to my work flow. It turned to be very useful during retouching (refreshing) sprites though.
Eg, sprite makes use of many similar colors, 'violets' over its shoes and 'magentas' for the shirt. They are not easily distinguishable by eye especially over contrasting background but I would like not to mess them together. So while retouching one part, I select it, make palette for it retouch it using generated palette of a very few colors, then I can proceed to another part.

Forget it Kyzrati, it's so specific, but it took some time to realize that :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 02:57:46 AM »

Okay gotcha, was interesting in learning just what you were doing here. Reuse of the same colors is one reason I implemented (and love love love) the standard right-click dropper function to grab any glyph and/or foreground/background color, for when adjusting a piece but want to make sure it's using the same small set of colors.

So what I do in your case here would be to use my left hand to hit 'g' (and 'b' if necessary) to toggle off the bits I don't need, then can right-click on stuff and reuse it elsewhere. Very fast retouching that way, without having to move the cursor all the way over to the palette etc. The main drawback in comparison would be that you don't simultaneously see an organized representation of the limited range of palette options in a given sprite/area, but in my case they're pretty obvious anyway. I do a lot of grabbing and dropping colors (and glyphs) to make adjustments.

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 09:35:00 AM »

I do agree, this is also the primary weapon in my case.
The problem was with multi layered assets, where fg/bk colors are not so easy to pick without seeing it / knowing which layer that cells is located at.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 07:52:21 PM »

Ah right, forgot about your emphasis on multiple layers... that does indeed add more levels of inconvenience here (literally xD). Kinda makes me wonder whether the dropper itself (and drawing) could have a depth-like setting??? Seems like an interesting possibility, but also somewhat specific and perhaps confusing/not something most people would ever take advantage of...

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile

I think a simple tick-box in the options enabling picking actually visible glyph instead of glyph on the current layer could be very useful in general. Or maybe we could have a middle-mouse button for advanced picking with even more options?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

I think a simple tick-box in the options enabling picking actually visible glyph instead of glyph on the current layer could be very useful in general.
I agree! (Added this to my list for exploring as a near-term patch rather than waiting for an actual release, though I'm very busy for the next week as I'll actually be traveling abroad for a while soon, so not quite sure when I'll be able to get to that yet.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Okay so referring to my previous comment here, RE "picking actually visible glyph instead of glyph on the current layer," I went to look into this and... that's already a thing? It's Ctrl-RMB.

I had completely forgotten about this feature since I don't use it myself and added it many years ago, but it is indeed there and works (and is listed in the manual).

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile

Oh, my bad, I thought I know the manual by heart!
:o thanks so much for letting me know :) - truly useful thing!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 08:43:52 AM »

Yeah I assumed you knew the manual by heart and therefore wouldn't have brought it up if it was already a feature, heh. I have no doubt you're more familiar than I am at this point when it comes to esoteric RP features :P

To be honest that one is only in the command list, I believe, or at least a search of Ctrl-RMB didn't bring it up anywhere else, for example as part of the main text.