Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 12:24:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Cogmind refuses to boot via Proton  (Read 1338 times)

JupiterSky

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Cogmind refuses to boot via Proton
« on: August 04, 2022, 05:59:28 PM »

Yep.  Just refuses to boot.
No log or anything is generated, and all I did was run Cogmind through Steam.  It responds by saying "Preparing to launch Cogmind ..." but never goes anywhere past that.

I've tried with various Proton builds, including ones that were reported to be functioning on ProtonDB.
Running Proton GE versions or Proton Experimental results with no hanging launch window, but also no boot.

I did run it via WINE and it did boot up, however I encountered some issues with display priority that were mentioned in another WINE related post.  It messed with stuff and turned one of my screens off somehow... but it did at least run.

I didn't see any other posts talking about Proton issues and the ProtonDB site hasn't been updated with similar reports.  Hopefully this is just a unique occurrence.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Cogmind refuses to boot via Proton
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 08:22:47 PM »

Hey JupiterSky, does sound like a unique/unusual thing since there shouldn't be any showstoppers on the part of Proton or the game itself, and plenty of others are using it normally, so it likely has something to do with your setup. Unfortunately I can't troubleshoot it myself since I'm not familiar with that sort of thing, though perhaps with more info others could offer advice? Like anything else that might be unique about your system. There are also likely going to be more people on the Discord than checking here, but I'll point out this thread and see if anyone has any input.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Cogmind refuses to boot via Proton
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 09:51:51 PM »

Hey again JupiterSky, I got some more input on this from other players, since again I was surprised seeing as others on Steam using Proton haven't been having trouble. They said it seems like it was probably updating your WINE config in the background at the time, which can sometimes take as long as 40-60 seconds depending on the situation, so make sure to let it play out and that should help? (Another player had this happen to them recently when they were updating to experimental Proton.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon