Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 04:52:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Change in proportion after txt export?  (Read 745 times)

oldboots

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Change in proportion after txt export?
« on: July 31, 2020, 02:27:42 AM »

Hi! I'm trying to start a small coding project that includes ASCII/ANSI art. So I was grateful when I stumbled upon REXPaint, which is literally what I've been looking for - a program where I can create pixel-like art, format it into a txt file, and then copy & paste the txt into my code. But I'm confused about why my drawings seem to get squished proportion-wise when going from the REXPaint program to the txt format? I'm not very familiar with coding so I wasn't sure if I should be using the xp format instead?

Thank you!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Change in proportion after txt export?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 03:29:59 AM »

Welcome oldboots, glad you've found the tool you need for the job :)

The results you're seeing are just "squished" because how an image appears in text is entirely a function of the font you use. By default REXPaint is using square fonts, but when you view the same thing in a text editor you're almost certainly not using a square font, but a rectangular one. What you can do in order to draw something that will look more like the final result is use a non-square font. The REXPaint ANSI download, as well as the Resources page on the website, both have a number of more typical vertical fonts that might suit your needs.

(And I'm not sure how pertinent it is, but maybe you could mention what your final goal is here.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon