Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 10:03:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Let's Look at REXpaint YouTube video session  (Read 1450 times)

grymmjack

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Let's Look at REXpaint YouTube video session
« on: September 26, 2018, 06:32:48 AM »

Hi!

First time user of REXpaint and really like it. Recorded my self using it for an hour and a half and there is some value here. I figured out how to load custom fonts, how to determine why the program crashed, and explored the manual learning it.

I'm a text mode artist from the ANSI text scene, and was looking at this as a new way to express myself using text mode. What a kick ass program. Thanks for making it.

Here is the link to my YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/l1Rtb-d3ZM0

Feel free to check it out or not :)

Also, wanted to ask a question - if we develop using a custom font, does the REXpaint SDK for programming languages also include instructions on that, or is it left as an exercise to us as programmers to figure that out?

I want to create a gamemaker loader for this and use gamemaker potentially, or at the very least use REXpaint to do some really cute lo-fi graphics. I'm not sure. I think my first project might be creating an Apple ][ MouseText font (the one on the 80 column Apple ][s) and making something using that.

Didn't see any PETscii fonts in the resources section are there any? Been using and liking Playscii too.

Anyway, thank you for making the program. I'll buy your game once it's out or if it's already out, to support ya.

Cheers!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Let's Look at REXpaint YouTube video session
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »

Hey grymmjack! There are no PETSCII fonts in my own collection--everything I've got is on the website. I know others have created some, or at least partial sets as they need, but haven't shared them with me.

Not sure what you mean about the custom font. There are instructions in the manual for everything REXPaint can do, including the specifications for custom fonts, palettes, reading and writing the .xp format, etc. Based on what you said afterwards though, it seems you probably mean specifically how to create an .xp file reader for an external program. This is unrelated to custom fonts, which are simply tile-based "bitmap fonts."

If you end up just wanting to use it for art, you can export REXPaint files as PNGs instead and just display them as regular images. If you want to display them character by character, however, that's a bit more complicated and you'll need to read the characters into your own data structure and reference your font bitmap to display each to an onscreen grid. You can find lots of examples of readers in various languages on the Resources page, and via some of those projects can also find how they created their "tile engine" for terminal display (or you can look up this info elsewhere--some roguelikes have used GM in the past).

(And yeah Cogmind has been out for several years now :D)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

iLKke

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 07:06:07 AM »

Here's an uppercase PETSCII font, in case it is still needed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fnj7m5x21m24ck/PETSCII%20charset.png?dl=0

Note that it uses the default character order and wasn't reshuffled to make rexpaint GUI look good

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »

Awesome, thanks for providing it! I've added it to the resources page as well.

Note that it's not necessary to reshuffle a font for the REXPaint GUI, since the config allows you to specify separate fonts for the GUI and art. So for example you can use PETSCII for art and the CP437 default for the interface.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon