Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 05:44:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: The rooms and other suggestions  (Read 1194 times)

Elmberry

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
The rooms and other suggestions
« on: May 29, 2015, 05:40:27 AM »

I bought this game the other day as I thought it looked really great and I like sci-fi ascii games. It has great potential being something great. It was well worth the money I spent on it. :)

My suggestions:

1. Which room do I have in front of me? It would be great if you could identify some rooms you have in front of you with a glance. Right now you have no clue which room you have in front of you. Right now it feels maybe to lucky based regarding what you find vs what you need. I suggest that some rooms could at least have somekind of sign on one square (in the wall segment) which tells you if it's a storage, weapon, armor, fabricator, terminal room or whatever in front of you. Not all type of rooms needs to have it but at least some just to make it more interresting so you can plan some or calculate the risk vs reward to reach a certain room if enemy robots are nearby.

2. Replaces equipment very often? Maybe to often. It feels I need to replace all my equipment after every other battle more or less. They are so quickly broken maybe you could take slightly more damage toward your core instead. Items are to often dropped by mobs also. Tweak this please. Maybe your robot should have a small shield bubble or whatever which regenerates a little.

3. It would be great if there were other things than just robots all over the place. Why not humans or other living beings which you can stumble over from time to time. At least add some just for the variation.

4. The start plays the same each time. It feels kind of boring when you need to pick up different objects to customize your robot each time you play the game. Why don't we pick a startup robot before the game starts instead which is fully equipped with different objects and maybe one secret utility or weapon object.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:32:08 AM by Elmberry »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: The rooms and other suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »

Welcome, Elmberry and I'm very glad you think it's worth it!

1. Which room do I have in front of me? It would be great if you could identify some rooms you have in front of you with a glance. Right now you have no clue which room you have in front of you. Right now it feels maybe to lucky based regarding what you find vs what you need. I suggest that some rooms could at least have somekind of sign on one square (in the wall segment) which tells you if it's a storage, weapon, armor, fabricator, terminal room or whatever in front of you. Not all type of rooms needs to have it but at least some just to make it more interresting so you can plan some or calculate the risk vs reward to reach a certain room if enemy robots are nearby.
Information is an important "intangible resource" in Cogmind's design. You can obtain all those types of information you want via the various sensor parts, e.g. Sensor Arrays, Terrain Scanners, Structural Scanners, etc., but you must be willing to allocate slots in order to do that. This is by design, and I'll likely be adding another one or two types of scanners eventually, but even now there is quite a large array to choose from, and at your best you can even reveal all this information across a massive area.

2. Replaces equipment very often? Maybe to often. It feels I need to replace all my equipment after every other battle more or less. They are so quickly broken maybe you could take slightly more damage toward your core instead. Items are to often dropped by mobs also. Tweak this please. Maybe your robot should have a small shield bubble or whatever which regenerates a little.
That's a core aspect of the gameplay, though it is possible to avoid too much attrition if you're careful, something that will come gradually with experience. I know I often speak of my own experience and it's not to brag--I'm still the best player :P--but I must say that with the right knowledge you can go for a very long time losing little to nothing to destruction. The most common reason to swap out parts will end up being because you find something better.

If you're having trouble losing parts, make sure you understand the coverage system and try using armor (you can take it from Sentries).

3. It would be great if there were other things than just robots all over the place. Why not humans or other living beings which you can stumble over from time to time. At least add some just for the variation.
You'll be seeing more variation in the future. It's part of the lore, but the story aspects of the game are currently limited mostly to Terminal records.

4. The start plays the same each time. It feels kind of boring when you need to pick up different objects to customize your robot each time you play the game. Why don't we pick a startup robot before the game starts instead which is fully equipped with different objects and maybe one secret utility or weapon object.
I'm not sure if you've made it to your fourth run yet, but at that point the game will automatically switch out of tutorial mode and give you a one-room start with more random parts than you can attach and let you pick whatever you want. Startup will take less than a minute :) .(You can also manually deactivate tutorial mode in the options.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon