Grid Sage Forums

• May 06, 2024, 02:19:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Double Size Tileset and UI Color  (Read 1206 times)

anthonysavatar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Double Size Tileset and UI Color
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »

Thanks for the great game! I really enjoy the dense UI aesthetic and gameplay. Thanks so much for including the Terminus font! Very nice option and quite readable for me. I'm on a 14" laptop screen at 1080p. Apologies in advance if you've already been asked these questions, the forum search is failing me.

2x2 Tiles
Would having a double character/tile size for the map be a viable option? I can read the UI text alright but the map not being zoom-able is a challenge. For now I'm just using the windows magnifier at 2x which illustrates what I'm thinking (screenshot attached).

You wouldn't be able to see as far with this feature but the map is scrollable so it's not really a loss. I'm not suggesting you create a totally new tileset, just allow for drawing the map cells at twice their normal size. If your implementation uses something like libtcod I can see how that might be a difficult feature to add without making new artwork or custom characters.

UI Coloring
Is there a way to set your preferred UI color? I'm hoping for amber or white text for the UI. This would help a lot with accessibility.

Keybinds

Is setting custom keybinds possible? I'm not seeing an option anywhere.

Thanks for creating Cogmind!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Double Size Tileset and UI Color
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »

Hi anthonysavatar!

Yeah I've answered these questions many times, although not necessarily on the forums :P (the community is split up all over the place...)

2x2 Tiles
Would having a double character/tile size for the map be a viable option? I can read the UI text alright but the map not being zoom-able is a challenge. For now I'm just using the windows magnifier at 2x which illustrates what I'm thinking (screenshot attached).

You wouldn't be able to see as far with this feature but the map is scrollable so it's not really a loss. I'm not suggesting you create a totally new tileset, just allow for drawing the map cells at twice their normal size. If your implementation uses something like libtcod I can see how that might be a difficult feature to add without making new artwork or custom characters.
Nope, not possible, as an emulated terminal the engine isn't capable of that. And 14" is quite small! Asset wise as you can see there are plenty of larger hand-scaled tiles for huge sizes, but they aren't used unless at a higher resolution. But that doesn't really matter, because all you really need is a physically larger screen to have everything show larger. Emulated terminals divide the screen into X rows and Y columns, creating a grid which can't be distorted like you're thinking (gameplay and UI issues aside!), but the set number of rows means that regardless of your screen size there will always be 60, so big screen = tall 60 rows, small screen= short 60 rows...

UI Coloring
Is there a way to set your preferred UI color? I'm hoping for amber or white text for the UI. This would help a lot with accessibility.
There are a lot of customization options for visual accessibility depending on what you need. There's a colorblind option, and also lots of filters for tweaking colors, brightness, contrast, etc. These are described in the manual under the Color Customization section.

Keybinds
Is setting custom keybinds possible? I'm not seeing an option anywhere.
This is in the manual, too. You can search for keybind. It's not a really great system, however--what are you looking to do with it?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

anthonysavatar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »

Ah thanks, I should have checked through the manual for colors and keybinds. I use the colemak keyboard layout and wanted to make a few changes. I see the colemak preset in the rex folder now but will probably just make a couple changes to the default qwerty preset. For some reason I'm used to hl for left right and ne for up down (hu and jk in qwerty).

Re the larger tiles: That all makes sense! I work on a terminal for a living and get that you need to stick to a fixed row/col size. In case my original description wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting changing the row/column width or height. Just drawing each map element as a 2x2 character made up of 4 standard sized characters.

So @ would become:
@@
@@
And the images tiles would have to be drawn as 4 separate images to make a whole. Granted, that's a hacky way of getting a "zoomed-in" map.

I still want to be able to play cogmind on the go with the laptop but I can live with using the magnifier when needed :-)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 05:36:53 AM »

Ah yeah, there is definitely a Colemak preset already in there you can take advantage of--pretty easy to turn on the keybinds and just drop in :)

Oh man, doubling the ASCII? That is... indeed an interesting idea. Very hacky, wouldn't really work too nicely with the UI and would be a source of endless bugs xD. Does sound like the kind of thing I'd be interested in toying with if I had a lot of free time... (sadly a non-existent if, but anyway :P)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon