• May 16, 2024, 01:33:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #19 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Happy Miner]  (Read 7368 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #19 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Happy Miner]
« on: December 08, 2015, 07:26:15 AM »

Go dig :)

This week's seed: Happy Miner

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Happy Miner] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #19 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Happy Miner]
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 07:33:48 AM »

I won't be doing any intentional mining--that's up to Decker, I believe--but I will be streaming this week's seed @ Wednesday 12/9, 10:30 PM EST.

I'm out of practice (again...) but I swear there will be revenge for last time!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:35:36 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »

Noooooooo...

The stream went extremely smoothly, and then shortly after entering -4/Factory I got completely surrounded by quite a few hostiles and had to drop everything and run (all because I didn't have any AOE, to be honest).

I managed to escape several times, and found lots of gear but nothing worth taking a stand with considering what was tracking me. And I was so busy talking about dying that I missed the fact that I was quite close to a chute :/. Argh. (Happylisk kindly screamed at me to point it out, but by then I was already game over!) I would've had to drop down at 80 integrity, but it would've been better than nothing :P

This time I was a five-legged beast. Next time I think I'll do a true heavy run instead.

Spoiler: Score 9,240 (click to show/hide)

karlnp

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
  • autosurgery enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »

eugh. got surrounded really early by mercenaries - maybe stepped on an alarm trap or something that I didn't notice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tried to use the pile of Datajacks to hack some robots, but I had a really low percentage... I suppose the idea is to find hacking ware and then hack garrison units (or what have you), but the percentages are so low I don't know how it's doable. I did just start playing yesterday, though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:25:18 PM by karlnp »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 11:33:50 PM »

Datajack hacking of robots is tough without any additional supporting gear, especially so at the very beginning. Not really recommended. And certainly with aid from a Garrison it can become quite easy, so much so that you can own nearly everyone you meet, but it's not easy to achieve that.

It's more possible around the mid-game, and in the future will probably be a more viable strategy overall once we overhaul the hacking gear using one of the methods being discussed.

And we should all be using the tt BBCode to format our scores so nicely like you :P

karlnp

• Unaware
  • autosurgery enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:47:44 PM »

Yeah, it was more out of desperation rather than a real attempt - but it was disheartening nonetheless, as it feels like it should function as a last-ditch gambit or backstab and I'm not sure where its place is in the playstyle spectrum currently. It seems like it should be a 'controller' or pet player tool, or an applicator for debuffs (and indeed rebooting was very useful and kept me alive a few turns longer than it would have otherwise.)

But it's also an alpha, so I'm hesitant to speculate too much.

And we should all be using the tt BBCode to format our scores so nicely like you :P

Yeah, I'm a trendsetter.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »

Simple things like rebooting are just about all you'll be able to manage at that point.

By comparison, turning a hostile into an ally, or outright destroying them, are both extremely powerful, so they'll always be tough unless you are dedicated / built for it. In theory you can be more effective--it depends on whether you find the right parts (but good hacking parts are tough to come by, which is why we sorta need to change something to retain their long-term effectiveness, otherwise you're likely to lose them before long).

While it would be beneficial to beginners to remove some items that aren't as easy to use without more experience, this would negatively affect the experienced players :/. For example, I'll sometimes carry around a Datajack found in the early game for a while, in case it comes in handy in later areas (so I don't have to go looking for one).

And don't forget they also have other important uses, like disabling traps!

karlnp

• Unaware
  • autosurgery enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 12:02:28 AM »

Yeah, certainly. I might try this seed again while waiting for Clion to fix itself.

SquigglyJ

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 03:04:05 PM »

Description:

Score log:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »

Tried an all-propulsion challenge: only propulsion slots can be added. Died in -4 after getting surrounded. Surprisingly, one power source is enough. Heat is a problem when shooting.

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 09:39:52 PM »

Tried an all-propulsion challenge: only propulsion slots can be added. Died in -4 after getting surrounded. Surprisingly, one power source is enough. Heat is a problem when shooting.

You're crazy.

Also, we'll extend this seed a few days to give time for Alpha 5 to come out before the next weekly seed.

zill

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 03:01:45 AM »

My score was 35. 

I AM THE COGMIND!!!!!!!

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 03:06:41 AM »

My score was 35. 

I AM THE COGMIND!!!!!!!

Just have another go then :P

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 07:17:33 AM »

...sick and tired this week, so after 5min i lost all my weapons and died happy.

Spoiler: scoresheet (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 10:00:33 AM »

Anyone who doesn't make it out of the first floor can really just try again; no one will complain if you go for a regular play through :).

Enno: But if you're not feeling well you should probably just rest do something less intensive than tackle a horde of robots =p

Crazy, but it's probably the most viable "all of one slot" possibility. That's pretty far under such a restriction. Next up is an all-weapon attempt in Alpha 5--it's going to be much more possible with the incoming changes :)

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »

ok here it is... my first second weekly-seed in my weekly-seed-history.
all was fine, i was the king and than he came...a hunter at work who spotted me.
normaly hunters are not a big deal for me but this one know his job. and he know it good.
so i lost more and more parts, beautiful parts...and decide to run, cause the hunter was still alive.
found some new flight units and power sources...fast enough to escape from that gruesome hunter.
anyway, doors later five or six grunts and some pests built me up a nice resting place...
Spoiler: scoresheet (click to show/hide)

zill

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 05:14:11 PM »

I retried the seed, and ended up speed/stealth.  I had good scanning/sensing equipment and adv. ecm suite, but I could never find any good power sources.  I had a power amplifier for a short while, but this only allowed either three flight units and no utilities, or two flight units plus utilities.  On -4 I had all my parts shot off, found some treads for armour on -3, and ran into lots of dead ends on -2.  High Density Centrium Heavy Treads make great armour.  I also found my supporter item, Advanced Powered Armour, but had no power source to make use of it.  I think if I could have found a good light power source, or weight distribution, I may have been fast enough and gotten all my scanners into -3, maybe next time.

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »

You're crazy.

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

Next up is an all-weapon attempt in Alpha 5--it's going to be much more possible with the incoming changes :)

Since you bring up that topic...

Cogmind has a complex model. Finding out the optimal offensive loadout is fun but non-trivial. I tried doing the math by hand, using negative binomial distributions and the like, and I didn't like my approximations. So, I did what a good programmer should do and simulated the hell out of it.

The result is a Python script (work in progress, I'm halfway through the implementation, but busy ATM) that analyzes 10000 encounters with a list of enemies. The loadout (weapons + utilities) matches the in-game mechanics, accounting for hit chances, crit rates, etc. Enemies are described by a list of parts and resistances, along with a user-specified base hit chance that accounts for distance/size/heat/cloaking.
By default the script displays the final statistics: average number of volleys (with standard deviation), average time to kill, and cause of death (core busted, core critted, corrupted, disabled). You can also activate verbose mode if you want to see what happens in a sample run (1 encounter).

Some limitations & assumptions apply. Kyzrati, could you confirm that I got this right?

For launchers, the usual hit chance is ignored. Instead, the hit probabilities are given by distance in the weapon descriptor, e.g. [30, 40, 10, 20] means 30% point-blank, 40% dist 1, 10% dist 2, 20% miss.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »

i was the king and than he came...a hunter at work who spotted me.
Hunters generally scare me more than anything. If not handled properly they can really single-handedly ruin a run.

@zill: Way to switch out towards the end there, and yeah it always sucks to have Powered Armor without the power to operate it!

Since you bring up that topic...
O_o

Sooo many variables to consider--but wow you are really into this :). My desire is to have a system in which you can't say with absolute certainty that X, Y and Z are always better than A, B, C. We want to have many unique strategies with roughly equal validity, and the huge number of parts on top of a flexible slot distribution are ways to achieve this. For Cogmind it's akin to the differences in class found in other roguelikes, only you're not locked into any one play style for the duration of a run.

I wrote a similar script to help determine reasonable numbers, but mine is far far simpler than what you're doing here!

karlnp

• Unaware
  • autosurgery enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 02:18:54 AM »

I made some decent progress on my roguelike engine, so I'll try this again before the next seed goes up.

karlnp

• Unaware
  • autosurgery enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 02:50:41 AM »

Whoof. Finally got a decent run with my score >50. Had to self-destruct because I ran into two Y-type units surrounded by pests, and they took away all my parts. Is there any way to tell where a given exit will go in the Caves? I'd never run into Assembled before and that seems interesting/weird.

karlnp

• Unaware
  • autosurgery enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 02:52:33 AM »

also, how do you drop things in keyboard mode

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 02:59:52 AM »

@karlnp : When you say caves, do you mean mines? Typically, if you see a bunch of med matter storage units and mining lasers around the staircase, then you can safely assume that the staircase will take you to mines. Also, you drop stuff from your inventory by press Alt + (inventory id). So, if you want to drop the first inventory item, press Alt + 1. I don't think you can drop the parts that are attached you directly. I am not sure, though.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 03:04:04 AM »

I don't think you can drop the parts that are attached you directly. I am not sure, though.
If your inventory is full, they'll bypass the inventory and auto-drop to the ground, and yeah it was originally not possible to force skip a non-full inventory in keyboard mode, but I added that in Alpha 4: Press ',' before doing the normal kb detach and it will drop to the ground instead. (That and other related commands are all listed in the advanced commands: F1 > 2.)
Pages: [1] 2