• April 26, 2024, 04:30:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Alpha 7/7b Discussions [SPOILER VERSION]  (Read 15852 times)

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Alpha 7/7b Discussions [SPOILER VERSION]
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:59:26 PM »

Note by Kyzrati:

Here's the place for feedback and discussion about the most recent releases, if you want to talk about something that doesn't really warrant a dedicated thread.

This is the open spoiler version, for discussions where you plan to talk about spoilery content and don't want to bother with spoiler tagging. Do not read this thread if you want to avoid spoilers! For non-spoiler discussion, feel free to use the non-spoiler discussion thread here.

Alpha 7 release notes and changelog.

(Plus the little 7b hotfix.)

Sorry for the confusion; back to the actual thread...

Ok. Revised opinion on alpha 7b:

Alien artifact : I went in with sensors and found the alien artifact, thanks for the hint. I was looking for things hiding in the walls, similar to the derelict army in wastes. Free slot evolution is always welcome. I assume, in the end, you get only one slot evolution instead of two when you ascend into access/-1. Ok. Back to alien artifacts. Are they all core expanders? Will we find any in the main complex?

Derelict logs: These are super useful. I found quite a few in my recent run. They revealed all the machine locations, a branch exit, security status and trap locations. It seems like derelict logs are consumable random hacks. I think it is a nice way to teach players the value of certain hacks that they will almost never attempt. For instance, inventory(components) is not worth burning a hacking attempt around late mid-game. But, if you can get it for free from a derelict log...

Derelict terminals: They seem to open doors. That's all I got. I did find a new item behind one of those doors. Tactical Co-ordination Suite.

Caves outposts: I had been relatively unlucky here. I saw a outpost with a reinforced blue wall thingy. But, I was running a speed build and the game crashed (alpha 7) and I died in my next attempt trying to get in there. I haven't been able to find that outpost again. I am guessing there is just loot/friends behind those walls? I found other outposts with a terminal with a bunch of grunts and swarmers guarding them. The terminal records were interesting. I suppose this is how we learn about recycling codes and such? I don't think those outposts are worth taking on if they don't give us any other advantage.

Caves difficulty : Caves does feel a bit like mines. So, not exactly easy mode all the time. The achilles heel for a combat cogmind seems to be propulsion. I don't usually carry a lot of backup propulsion. So, if you run out of those and if your salvage is going to self-destruct...that could be a problem. On other hand, the reason I got so much trouble was I just wouldn't leave until I had explored the entire place. I was always able to find the exit with ease. I am going to wait until alpha 8 before I form an opinion on this. It's really hard to judge as it is. I still love the self-destructing loot idea :).

Caves is also more tactically challenging. I am starting to feel that explosives are a must if you are going down there.

Other stuff:
Hunters are back to being scary. I think I am going to start running purely thermal/em builds from now on. Fighting against hunters with kinetics is just hopeless and I have lost a lot of good runs to them.

There is a weird bug(?) in the score sheet. It adds a extra zero after the last entry in Turns passed section. Right above prototype ids.

Extension: Is there a critical mass of allies to which the AI just responds by going nuts? My first alpha 7 run ended when I freed all the allies in the extension branch and the AI just sent demolishers and marksmen after me. My alert level wasn't that high and that kind of response was surprising. There is just no good way to protect your allies against demolishers and I just lost all of them. Poor 07.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:12:54 PM by Kyzrati »

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha 7/7b Discussions [SPOILER VERSION]
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:39:09 PM »

Caves is also more tactically challenging. I am starting to feel that explosives are a must if you are going down there.

I've only had 1 Cave run, so take this analysis with a grain of salt.  Both lower/upper cave entrances spawned with a welcoming party of 3 or 4 combots.  Without a launcher, I would have taken a lot of damage.  For me, a launcher seems to be pretty vital as well.

Caves difficulty : Caves does feel a bit like mines. So, not exactly easy mode all the time.

I ended up fleeing the upper caves stark naked.  Granted I poked my head just about everywhere I could.  There was even a behemoth in my cave, although I managed to not engage. 

The expiring loot mechanic is the root of this I think.  If I could replenish parts, I don't think I would have had as much of an issue.  As it stands, I think there is little chance that an experienced player will actually die here.  If you shed all of your equipment, it's pretty easy to use the cave layout to avoid your would be attackers.  You'll just die when you get back to factory ;)

With knowledge of how loot expiration works down there, I think you can go into battle in such a way that you can snatch stuff up before it fizzles.  I'll have to see.

Other stuff:
Hunters are back to being scary. I think I am going to start running purely thermal/em builds from now on. Fighting against hunters with kinetics is just hopeless and I have lost a lot of good runs to them.

Yeah, I hate these guys.  I had a run where I was deck(er)ed out with 7-8 slots of high quality armor and kinetic weapons.  An arc of these guys unloaded on me (-2) and just tore me to sheds.  And that was before the buff!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:13:11 PM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:01:41 PM »

I think from now on it might be a good idea to have two separate discussion threads for a new release, one that is clearly marked SPOILERS and we don't have to bother using tags in there, and another for anything obviously non-spoilery that anyone can read. Would make commenting and reading a bit easier!

(Actually, I'm going to do this right now and split this conversation.)

I assume, in the end, you get only one slot evolution instead of two when you ascend into access/-1. Ok. Back to alien artifacts. Are they all core expanders? Will we find any in the main complex?
The Core Expander is only one type among many, but it's the only one in the game right now. Others will be found in other parts of the world, including mostly MAIN.C-controlled areas, but pretty much always in branches.

You actually get all the normal evolution slots, even through Access. Notice that 7 + 9*2 = 25, and A~Z is 26, so this is how you can fill that extra slot :).

Derelict terminals: They seem to open doors. That's all I got. I did find a new item behind one of those doors. Tactical Co-ordination Suite.
Ooh, you found one of those. Nice.

There are other terminals out there; you'll find them. They're not incredibly common yet, though; they'll be used a lot more in other cave areas.

The terminal records were interesting. I suppose this is how we learn about recycling codes and such? I don't think those outposts are worth taking on if they don't give us any other advantage.
Yeah there is a lot of lore in there, though what's accessible in Alpha 7 is just a bit of fluff, while much much more that is going into Alpha 8 as hints and tips, to be found not in outposts but in other areas you'll find. That will be one method of learning the Recycling code. The currently available method is actually in a special location--you'll see what I mean.

Outposts are mostly dangerous, yes, although there are other reasons taking them on can be advantageous. (And of course sometimes they're there simply to be annoying if you're spotted and they're alerted when you'd rather just slip by.)

Caves difficulty : Caves does feel a bit like mines. So, not exactly easy mode all the time. The achilles heel for a combat cogmind seems to be propulsion. I don't usually carry a lot of backup propulsion. So, if you run out of those and if your salvage is going to self-destruct...that could be a problem. On other hand, the reason I got so much trouble was I just wouldn't leave until I had explored the entire place. I was always able to find the exit with ease. I am going to wait until alpha 8 before I form an opinion on this. It's really hard to judge as it is. I still love the self-destructing loot idea :).
Part of the purpose behind the caves is that they lead further away to other areas, even though you can find an exit back to the main complex sooner, so eventually you'll want to travel further into the caves for the benefits. That will change the calculus. (Remember that one of these areas exists already!)

Those guys are hard to balance. They were far too easy in Alpha 6, and now I probably made them a bit too difficult again xD. It's tough because I really want them to be scary, but doing so means they can be downright game-stopping if you're unlucky! I'll have to see for myself how they're faring in Alpha 7.

There is a weird bug(?) in the score sheet. It adds a extra zero after the last entry in Turns passed section. Right above prototype ids.
Huh, I'll look into it, thanks. Always something going wrong with the score sheet...

Extension: Is there a critical mass of allies to which the AI just responds by going nuts? My first alpha 7 run ended when I freed all the allies in the extension branch and the AI just sent demolishers and marksmen after me. My alert level wasn't that high and that kind of response was surprising. There is just no good way to protect your allies against demolishers and I just lost all of them. Poor 07.
There is one good way to protect allies from Demolishers, but it involves using both shields and point defense, which is too big of an investment right now. I imagine it will become more viable later once you can more easily get (and maintain) allies. We'll see!

If you have many allies and the AI is responding with an assault squad, it may be accompanied by a Demolisher. What they respond with depends partially on what's happening :). Alert level rises pretty quickly when you have allies shooting up everything.

As it stands, I think there is little chance that an experienced player will actually die here. If you shed all of your equipment, it's pretty easy to use the cave layout to avoid your would be attackers.  You'll just die when you get back to factory ;)
Hehe, that's part of the design, yes :). By taking branches, you will be under somewhat less pressure than the main complex, but it's possible you'll end up in a worse situation by the time you return, and then you have to attempt a comeback.

The caves are somewhat random, though, as you're both finding. Sometimes you can be ambushed right away, or run into other types of dangerous situations. And sometimes you'll just get a lucky cake walk, albeit possibly without many benefits to show for it by the time you leave.

The balance will continue to shift around as I add new encounters. There are plenty more to come!

Yeah, I hate these guys.  I had a run where I was deck(er)ed out with 7-8 slots of high quality armor and kinetic weapons.  An arc of these guys unloaded on me (-2) and just tore me to sheds.  And that was before the buff!
Hunters might be balanced just about right for their frequency in the mid-game, but I'm guessing end-game Terminators are probably really nasty again. I'll see how we all fare against them :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:49:05 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »

Hey,Guess where I am :).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am not spoiler tagging anything. Hope it's ok since we are in the spoiler section. Lore spoilers below. Probably too late if you are at this point.

The lore just got super interesting. I am very much a story nerd and I must say that the lore is really cool.
So, is God Mode already in game? The data miner told me to have a word with it. Also, where is this warlord nerd I keep hearing about? is he a physical robot? Is he a AI like MAIN.C? Is section 7 going to be a branch? Do we ascend into section 7 in the end? Is that were Leapord is located?

I think there is something going on in proximity caves. I didn't get the chance to fully explore it. I had to leg it due to the state of my build, as you can see in the image. I must say speed builds are much better if you are into sight seeing, atleast as far as the caves are concerned.

The data miner dialogue when you are about to leave: I think "..so, if you see an opportunity hack...." should be "..so, if you see an opportunity, hack...". It was a bit difficult to parse with out the comma. Also, is that hack the secret behind making the game harder in the second half? Are the derelict looking for a new leader? Why would they think that I can make better use of the god mode than the warlord?

edit: There is a serious bug in the upper caves. The exit tile wouldn't render even though I got a popup with ?? indicating that it is a exit. I wasn't able to use it as a exit. I also found a derelict log which indicated that that was the exit. I died due to that :(. Picture below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:54:55 PM by Sherlockkat »

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »

Re : The bug. If it would help. that tile was initailly covered by # which I blew up with an ion cannon. It might be the case that an exit got generated and the overwritten by something else.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:58:25 PM »

Yeah, I made this thread so that spoiler tagging is unnecessary for those of us talking about spoilers, since we were tagging the whole other thread, making it kinda pointless :P

Speed builds probably have a much easier time in the caves, though I think it could also get hairy if you run into an ambush. There are more dangerous things to come. You look to be in pretty bad shape in the Data Miner shot :)

Obviously I won't answer the detailed lore questions; you'll just have to find out ;). I can tell you that God Mode hasn't been added yet, no. I'd like to get that part in there sometime within the next two releases.

And I'm happy to hear you're getting into the story. There's a lot of stuff going on, and much of it will raise questions throughout a lot of the game until you can reach all these new areas (and meet new NPCs) coming to future versions. There is one major NPC added back in Alpha 5 that still no one has reported meeting, but the chance of meeting them is rather low right now, anyway. They're more likely to be met in another location that hasn't been added yet.

I haven't read the weekly seed thread yet since I want to play it myself, but I presumed Enno destroyed the conduit because I saw his death location on the leaderboards ;). However, that's not how you make the latter half of the game harder--it just triggers the local guards (who some of you might recognize). Hint: The way you "make the game harder" is in the Data Miner's cave, though...

edit: There is a serious bug in the upper caves. The exit tile wouldn't render even though I got a popup with ?? indicating that it is a exit. I wasn't able to use it as a exit. I also found a derelict log which indicated that that was the exit. I died due to that :(. Picture below.
Wow, that is pretty serious. I hadn't seen that before. Uh oh. I guess we'll need a 7c because I don't want to be killing anyone. Sorry! That means you'll get all the new updates I made in the past few days :).

I'll track it down soon.

(You wouldn't happen to have the save file from that game, would you? That would help immensely here.)

Never mind--your added message there already tells me what it is, a freaking feature I added right before release that can overwrite locations with collapsed cave to make the terrain more interesting in some places, but I forgot to have it avoid stairs xD. Oops. Thanks for the clarification!

I'll fix that dialogue comma, too, thanks. I sometimes try to avoid semi-optional commas because I otherwise tend to use so many of them, but this one should be put back if it leads to confusion :P

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »

Re the bug: Glad to have helped. Happy bug fixing.

And I'm happy to hear you're getting into the story. There's a lot of stuff going on, and much of it will raise questions throughout a lot of the game until you can reach all these new areas (and meet new NPCs) coming to future versions. There is one major NPC added back in Alpha 5 that still no one has reported meeting, but the chance of meeting them is rather low right now, anyway. They're more likely to be met in another location that hasn't been added yet.

Like I said, very much a story nerd. I like to know how things came to be the way they are. Partly why I got into research :).

I haven't read the weekly seed thread yet since I want to play it myself, but I presumed Enno destroyed the conduit because I saw his death location on the leaderboards ;). However, that's not how you make the latter half of the game harder--it just triggers the local guards (who some of you might recognize). Hint: The way you "make the game harder" is in the Data Miner's cave, though...

Ah hah. So, if it's not blowing up the data conduit...There is nothing down there except the terminals. The hack is irrelevant if God Mode is not in the game yet.Aaah...You kill the data miner? Will do that next time and see what happens.

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 01:43:49 PM »

Speaking of spoilery story stuff...

Does the mainframe in Cetus do anything?  It seems too central a prop piece to be inconsequential.  I blew it up and it didn't seem to do anything perceptible outside of sending a lot of guys at me.

There is a terminal near the mainframe that doesn't seem to do anything besides allowing a manual hack.  That might be a key to something.  Is that active, or the key to something interesting?  ;) [See here]

Can you use the Data Miner's hack yet?  Ie., is it defiantly "irrelevant if God Mode is not in the game yet".

Do the spotters in Recycling do anything?  Cool animation, but I did seem to realize anything beyond that.

Quote from: Kyzrati
I haven't read the weekly seed thread yet since I want to play it myself, but I presumed Enno destroyed the conduit because I saw his death location on the leaderboards ;).

That's pretty funny.  I got into Data Miner after I saw that on the score board.  I was thinking how on earth did he die there?  So, I shot the conduit while standing next to the stairs and found out how ;).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:09:23 PM by Shobalk »

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 02:16:08 PM »

in a stream of kyzrati on twitch he talks about the cetus maybe it helps...
https://www.twitch.tv/kyzrati/v/31388326

...jump to 20min and look how he get the code to hack the cetus.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:27:02 PM by Enno »

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »

Speaking of spoilery story stuff...

Does the mainframe in Cetus do anything?  It seems too central a prop piece to be inconsequential.  I blew it up and it didn't seem to do anything perceptible outside of sending a lot of guys at me.

I am not sure. Once, I had 07 with me. But, I wasn't able to hack the door. I had enough fire power to just blow through it. I did that and damaged the machine in the process and 07 said something regarding the mainframe. But, nothing came out of it and I assume it's because I damaged the machine. Another time, I managed to hack it open but didn't have 07 with me. The key might be to have 07 with you AND hack the door. Btw, I saw your playthrough thro extension. You can blow through those prison doors if the hacks fail. Be careful though. They send demolishers after you if your army gets too big. I have had 15+ allies and they weren't too happy with me. You also don't have to engage the behemoths along that narrow 1-tile corridor. It might be worth it go back to the start of the level and take the long corridor heading east. That takes you to the behemoths and you can engage in a wider space along with your allies instead of having to shoot through them in that tight corridor. I also think that it is better to take those behemoths out before free you any of the allies. This is because I like to keep 07 alive in Cetus and you need a considerable force of allies in order to protect 07 from the Cetus guards. Better not to lose them to those behemoths and sentries.

There is a terminal near the mainframe that doesn't seem to do anything besides allowing a manual hack.  That might be a key to something.  Is that active, or the key to something interesting?  ;) [See here]

Hmm. Bring 07 with you into Cetus and listen to him. Also, try not to damage the machinery in that room. It's...useful  ;).

Do the spotters in Recycling do anything?  Cool animation, but I did seem to realize anything beyond that.

I think they spike up the alert level and nothing else. I need to go down there with a speed build and sneak through the place and see if there is any upside to avoiding them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:04:35 PM by Sherlockkat »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 07:40:07 PM »

Can you use the Data Miner's hack yet?  Ie., is it defiantly "irrelevant if God Mode is not in the game yet".
Right, it's not usable. It's in there now just so you know that's how you can get it, one of the issues with putting content in the world that isn't yet linked to its other content :/. There is another instance of this, here:
So yeah there is a way to get something out of it, but it won't help you at this point. Those are currently the two main links to non-existing content. I'll mention in the changelog when they start to matter.

I also think I'm going to need to increase the effect of spotters ::)

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:57:30 PM »

Btw, I saw your playthrough thro extension. You can blow through those prison doors if the hacks fail. Be careful though. They send demolishers after you if your army gets too big. I have had 15+ allies and they weren't too happy with me. You also don't have to engage the behemoths along that narrow 1-tile corridor. It might be worth it go back to the start of the level and take the long corridor heading east. That takes you to the behemoths and you can engage in a wider space along with your allies instead of having to shoot through them in that tight corridor. I also think that it is better to take those behemoths out before free you any of the allies. This is because I like to keep 07 alive in Cetus and you need a considerable force of allies in order to protect 07 from the Cetus guards. Better not to lose them to those behemoths and sentries.

Good advice.  I shall try it out on my next trip there.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:40:43 PM by Shobalk »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »

Fixed as per the latest update. Protect yourself today! Get the patch! :P

It was a single line of missing code :/

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 07:01:54 PM »

I finally got home and installed 7b.  I figured I'd do a naked run to see if I could get to caves.  I got to -7 in about 3 min and found caves soon thereafter.  Zipped through two levels of caves and found the data miner... and tons of cool lore... and schematics for light regenerative armor hell yes.  I pop out into -6 Factory but I'm totally naked.  I sprint around until I find a chute trap and luck into one with a derelict army.  Now I'm on -6 with a full combat loadout, 0 security level, and the schematic for my favor armor.

7b owns bones. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 08:58:19 PM »

Hehe, awesome. I was thinking about you when I added that schematic ;)

Too bad I haven't yet updated the Fabrication system to go with it. I plan to make it somewhat easier to build stuff by removing most restrictions on where you can fabricate a given schematic, with time being the primary variable factor. Or something :P

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 06:41:35 AM »

Run ended on Research.  I was doing ok, but new hunters do not mess around.

I fully explored the upper caves, making for 4 cave levels this run.  Upper caves were rough - lots of ARCs patrolling around, explosive weapons are really nice here. 

I love the new maps so much.  The game feels roguelike-ier now, if that makes sense.  It's also nice to have zones with no programmer clock (but with their own pressures).

Speaking of which, the item disintegration mechanic in caves is pretty cool.  Flavorful, and has an anti-farming mechanic to it that I like.  I've also found a a way around: EM weapons can disable the mechanic so you can still loot guns and engines (processors and heat sinks will likely be fried by the EM).

Found the Warlord's sealed staircase.  Pity we can't pay him a visit yet.  I'll just have to settle for killing data miner and seeing what happens. 

Re fabrication overhaul: I wouldn't mind if you got rid of the matter container requirement.  If I have 300 matter in my core but no matter storage unit, it's kind of annoying that I can't fabricate anything.  Matter storage units are already great items - it's good to have one in your inventory in case you run out of matter in a long firefight, and I've successfully experimented with pure kinetic builds where I constantly have one equipped to expand my matter storage to 700 so that I can really dish it out.  They're already useful items without being necessary to fabrication, so I'd suggest cutting that tedium out.   (yes I am salty because my one attempt to fabricate my beautiful regen armors failed because I didn't have a storage container). 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »

Glad you're loving them--they are certainly there to add a more roguelike feel, and not just because they're "caves" :P, but because they're a lot more random and there's less of an ecosystem like the alert-fueled rush that is 0b10.

There is the chance for occasional patrols over time so you can't hang around forever (but they don't target you directly), and certainly the challenges are quite different, while there's also still plenty to do with the caves, so they'll continue to improve over the next couple releases. Warlord is planning to open for business in Alpha 9--there are a couple other maps to do before that one :). It won't be too long though, since now that Alpha 7 has laid the foundation work for all the new environments and mechanics, we're back to our more brisk release schedule of about one per month.

The new Hunters are probably going to end it for me, too. (I plan to stream my seed run tomorrow, so we'll see!) They were always my worst enemy, but noticeably too weak in Alpha 6 and a lot of players ascended over that period :P. I'll continue to adjust them if and as necessary, though the next might be to their frequency rather than stats. In a way I'm also waiting until we have late-game branches in, and I introduce all the robots which are more powerful than your main line fare, as some of those may make appearances in 0b10 and they'll need to be balanced into the mix. At that point maybe having slightly weaker Hunters will make more sense ;). (We'll see, because you'll also be capable of deadlier feats, too!)

Re Fabrication: Part of why I introduced the matter storage requirement was to give them an extra important use since I felt they weren't useful enough in the 7DRL (of course lots has changed since then...). On top of that I didn't want fabrication to be too simple, as it's potentially easy to make it the "safe but boring" way to play.

Right now there are too many roadblocks, though--it's rarely cost-worthy--so I'm looking to simplify the system somewhat and will take your suggestion under consideration.

That said, matter storage is quite easy to find, at least in the smaller capacities suitable for fabrication, since you can take them from Workers.

That said, I did always intend to analyze and overhaul fabrication after seeing how it did or didn't fit into the overall gameplay, to the point that I never fully prototyped it during pre-alpha :P. Fabrication is certainly overly involved compared to the rest of the game.

So we're getting to that soon. I may do another easier machine first, like Repair Stations.

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:02 AM »

I'd like to chime in about fabrication. I propose to get rid of matter containers AND time-to-build. These are just annoyances. It seems to me that the simple "tracing" mechanic is sufficient to prevent overuses. Maybe a ticket system of some sort could be used too, so that there are more meaninful strategic considerations.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »

Well, the hacking game has changed significantly from what fabrication was balanced against. The original idea was that you could in theory, once good enough, hack a single machine virtually forever. That is no longer the case, so yeah it's time to reconsider the mechanics against that.

Time-to-build is a pretty meaningful strategic consideration, since it ties into the hunger clock. Right now it's less of an issue because I shortened the times from what they were originally, but one of the new ideas would be to probably allow you to build almost anything anywhere (no floor/rating restrictions), but the length of time required would be the primary variable, and you have to weigh that against how long you are willing to, or think you can, hang around the same area.

Instant building? Maybe, we'll see what else works.

Still, there needs to be something to differentiate the creation of mundane parts vs. amazing parts--if not matter, then time. In my opinion matter is the less strategically interesting of the two. Alternatives would require adding something new to the system.

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »

I'll throw my 2 cents in on the fabrication front.

Right now I think it is too difficult to be worth the trouble.

• You have to acquire a schematic worth building.
  • You have to get a storage unit full of matter.
  • You have to load the schematic.  This can fail.
  • You have to build the part.  This can fail.
  • Your machine may not be advanced enough to build the part.
  • You have to wait until the part is complete.

Thoughts:

Does loading/building need to be 2 separate hack attempts? 

I personally kind of like the concept of needing a matter storage unit.  I think it makes thematic sense and requires the player to make a conscience effort to become a builder.

I love the idea of removing the machine capability check.  That would be a huge step I think.  This has stuffed me on many occasions.

Waiting is a pain, but I can see how it's important in terms of game mechanics.  I'm not really sure how to address that.  Maybe auto-advance the clock instead of making the player wait.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »

Thanks for the input!

Yep, too many steps compared to... every other mechanic :P. This is why I never build anything, either, but with better schematics coming into the game about now, it's time to change that.

It was important to wait on it, but my goal is to modify the system until 1) I'm willing to at least sometimes build stuff, and 2) could also see someone else building a lot of stuff (without headaches) if they wanted to do that as part of their strategy.

The "making it a part of your strategy thing" is one thing I like about the matter storage, too.

The reasoning for two separate hacks was because under the initial system you could reset a terminal by waiting, therefore hack it forever, and more important it took at least two fails to get both a trace and lockdown. Now that we've gotten rid of that annoyance there's more room to change other factors.

I love the idea of removing the machine capability check.  That would be a huge step I think.  This has stuffed me on many occasions.
Definitely my number one priority here. It's an opaque system (as with the similar restrictions at other machines, which also need to be modified).

Maybe auto-advance the clock instead of making the player wait.
This has been on the backburner for a very long time, but yeah if time is going to be a factor I will implement the (long-waitlisted :P) auto-wait feature.

Also, for step #1, schematics worth building will be easier to acquire with the future Scanalyzer updates. Plus of course some of the stuff that's really worth building, things you don't find lying around, will have their schematics found in certain places, as Happylisk has discovered :)

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »

I like the instant build idea. Here is a balance suggestion. Retain the matter costs and scale it according to the rarity of items. Let the fabricators build stuff instantly. But, have fabrication not only require matter storage containers, but also consume it. That way, we can't just farm items without sacrificing inventory space. Time also plays a factor here. If we spend time farming matter storage units and filling it up, the food clock naturally kicks in anyway. This way, the cogmind has to be more proactive instead of just waiting around the fab unit getting bored. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:49:44 AM by Sherlockkat »

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »

I'm in favor of removing the two step hack and the container requirement - however I am strongly against removing the time requirement.  If there is no time constraint, I promise you people are going to get the best schematics in branches, find a quiet fabricator in the factory, and crank out tons of high tier items like regen armor and what have you.  It'll be grindy as all hell. 

If you had to remove time cost, I think you need to add a new drawback.  Maybe a slight security level rise for fabricating higher tier items / fabricating items that can't normally be found in the main complex. 

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 03:15:13 PM »

@Happylisk: I have mixed feelings about the time requirement. I can see its value as a anti-grind mechanic. But, waiting around for X turns is not fun and discourages some people (i.e me :) ) from using the fabricators in the first place. That's why I suggested that fabricators destroy the matter storage units that we supply for item construction. Fabricating high-tier items en-masse can be discouraged by upping their matter costs to the point you need to carry multiple large matter storage units which are not easily to replace. Replacing and filling those matter containers will take time bringing the food clock back into play.

Simply put, I definitely agree that there needs to be some kind of time investment for fabrication. I just don't think it should be in the form of waiting around.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:38:14 PM by Sherlockkat »

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 06:52:15 PM »

Ensuring that each fab has a limited number of uses would prevent abuses.

The time constraint is also good, but it should be implemented properly. Waiting around doing nothing is boring. Instead, modify the food clock directly.

Wiiiiggghssst! Regenerating armor produced! Investigation team dispatched.
Wiiiiggghssst! Second regenerating armor produced! Programmer squad dispatched.

Now that's a lot of fun heading the player's way!
Pages: [1] 2 3