Grid Sage Forums

• April 26, 2024, 12:12:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Roguelike Development with REXPaint, a Guide  (Read 3090 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Roguelike Development with REXPaint, a Guide
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:24:56 AM »

I've posted an in-depth guide to how I use REXPaint for roguelike development--mockups, art, prefabs and more--including specific techniques and plenty of reference images. Check it out here.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

nullzero

• Unaware
  • Linux gamer
    • View Profile
    • Groupees Profile
Re: Roguelike Development with REXPaint, a Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:14:39 PM »

Reply, sweet! I'm specially found of the useful tips section.

I'm trying the editor again and I'm enjoying the autocomplete cell function, it makes it pretty easy to make a mockup.

By the way, is there any color that serves as a transparent background for the .png image export? At least I found out that it is easy to open the .png in another program (i.e. GIMP) select the empty black background and delete it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »

Yup, useful tips are useful :D. Certainly I've used this thing for a very long time for so many parts of game development, accumulating a number of good habits in the process.

By the way, is there any color that serves as a transparent background for the .png image export? At least I found out that it is easy to open the .png in another program (i.e. GIMP) select the empty black background and delete it.
Unfortunately, no. Even if I did set a color that could do this, I'm not really sure about adding transparency to a .png image, to be honest. For now I'd just say... use a supplementary program as you are :/. I'll add that to a list of things to look at at some point, but there are quite a few higher-priority items on that list already. (Technically we could just say that the hot pink transparency color on layer 0 becomes transparent in the final image, so we wouldn't need a second color.)

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »

Yup, useful tips are useful :D. Certainly I've used this thing for a very long time for so many parts of game development, accumulating a number of good habits in the process.

Unfortunately, no. Even if I did set a color that could do this, I'm not really sure about adding transparency to a .png image, to be honest. For now I'd just say... use a supplementary program as you are :/. I'll add that to a list of things to look at at some point, but there are quite a few higher-priority items on that list already. (Technically we could just say that the hot pink transparency color on layer 0 becomes transparent in the final image, so we wouldn't need a second color.)

Are you using SDL functions to save the images? Image formats aren't too terrible to write manually. Not that you have time for that, but just in case anyone else was interested.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:00:14 PM »

No SDL functions, no. It's a separate png write function. I did take note to at least investigate it in the future, but yeah, not enough time to work on REXPaint right now.