Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Allies  (Read 6283 times)

E.I.G.

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Allies
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »

So some discussion of allied robots.

The obvious ones are combat units to kill your enemies, and recyclers to carry stuff.

I just built a "M-13 Machinist" Mechanic class robot to see if it would repair me. It has an inventory of "Backup Power I", "Backup Propulsion I", and "Backup Laser I" parts, and has fit two of the propulsion units onto me. Going to the next floor it seems that it won't put a third on automatically.

Has anyone seen any other interesting uses of allied robots?

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Allies
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:18:15 PM »

I stumbled across about about 6 Drone Bays in a room while being chased and on my final legs by 15+ Hunters/Programmers/Sentries.  I ended up releasing about 10 drones which acted as a distraction so I could just make it to the stairs.  It was a pretty epic getaway :D

I think this was on level -5.

Draxis

• Unaware
  • Also known as Dessard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »

I stumbled across about about 6 Drone Bays in a room while being chased and on my final legs by 15+ Hunters/Programmers/Sentries.  I ended up releasing about 10 drones which acted as a distraction so I could just make it to the stairs.  It was a pretty epic getaway :D

I think this was on level -5.
Drone bays are always fun - I love running into them in the DSU vaults, because I can just hide in there while I release a bunch to go exploring for me, and by the time the last set is launched the first sets will have found something.

lordpolish

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:52:38 AM »

I built a mercenary or an enforcer (can't remember which). Was neat to have them fight for me but they didn't last long. Good distraction anyway. They followed me around until they died on combat. A repair bot would have been more interesting.

E.I.G.

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »

Building H-66 Slayers early on is interesting. Two of those can kill a lot of enemy robots, and when they get killed you get really nice parts.

... are these supposed to be build-able in a tier 1 fabricator?

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »

Haha, for some reason I doubt it. I think we're going to have to save a copy of this first version of Cogmind for hilarious hijinks like that :D

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 01:39:29 PM »

I actually think they're intended to be buildable at a level 1 fabricator. The fabricators have working rank locks. It's the terminals that are bugged, but even then since it's under the rank requirements it should work after the terminal thing is fixed.

Whether or not they SHOULD be is up for debate, but as far as I can tell that's working as intended.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »

Fortunately the enemy AI is flexible about reacting to what you're up to, so even with these OP allies you're still in for a fight ;D

But yeah this stuff needs to be tweaked. The hacking system went through minimal testing because I wanted to see what you guys would do with it at this stage before making changes.

Getting Slayers out of a tier 1 Fabricator is pretty OP. Commandos, sure, Slayers I will probably have to do something about ;)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 09:45:12 PM »

Fortunately the enemy AI is flexible about reacting to what you're up to, so even with these OP allies you're still in for a fight ;D

But yeah this stuff needs to be tweaked. The hacking system went through minimal testing because I wanted to see what you guys would do with it at this stage before making changes.

Getting Slayers out of a tier 1 Fabricator is pretty OP. Commandos, sure, Slayers I will probably have to do something about ;)

I literally spawned next to a fabricator and terminal in my current run. First try I got a slayer schematic xD Have not had a chance to build because I don't have enough matter, and I'm currently in the mines fighting for my life... But none the less, I'm looking forward to my OP allies.

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »

I literally spawned next to a fabricator and terminal in my current run. First try I got a slayer schematic xD Have not had a chance to build because I don't have enough matter, and I'm currently in the mines fighting for my life... But none the less, I'm looking forward to my OP allies.
Trust me, alert level 5 is more OP than slayers.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 10:17:27 PM »

If you get an opportunity, could you try and scan some of those unique enemies that show up when you cause too much trouble? I'm sure you've seen the Protectors and Saboteurs by now, and probably even something new I'm not aware of. If you get an Adv. Scan Processor, that is. I'll pay good karma for screenshots!

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 10:21:10 PM »

If you get an opportunity, could you try and scan some of those unique enemies that show up when you cause too much trouble? I'm sure you've seen the Protectors and Saboteurs by now, and probably even something new I'm not aware of. If you get an Adv. Scan Processor, that is. I'll pay good karma for screenshots!
Gah I ran into those earlier and was running for my life to the stairs! I had a regular scan processor at the time too... I'm still in the same run, got my slayers. Going to see what kind of havoc can be wreaked. I'm just going with 4-6 and having them follow my for protection, so we'll see what happens.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 10:57:52 PM »

Aight, sounds good! Just remember, I need Advanced scans - don't worry about basic or improved scans.

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »

I have a question regarding allies.

Do I have to keep them within visual range at all times?

I rewired an r and made it follow me, then I turned the corner and lost him from view, waited few moves for him to show up, but he did not, went back there was no ally to be seen.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »

In that case he was probably found and destroyed. Look for the tell-tale pile of scrap :P. Or... maybe nothing was left if the Recyclers got to him first. Allies don't need to stay in view, no, and they'll catch up to you whenever they're done doing what they're doing.

CormacMccarthy91

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 03:37:22 PM »

I enjoy the ability to use allies like in other roguelikes, but I'm not really a fan of depending upon them in later levels in order to have an easier time progressing, the lone wolf approach is more fun for me personally, which is why I love roguelikes. You can play how you want. I,m just saying I think it would be good if this didn't become a, "Well your not gunna get past level "x" unless you have "this or that" on your side." The ability to play how you want really appeals to me.

I know you dont HAVE to use allies now, I just dont want them to make the game so easy that "your doing it wrong" if you're not using them.

Having said all that, its your game and I'll love it either way I'm sure.
Just my thoughts.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:39:02 PM by CormacMccarthy91 »
“Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.”
-Judge

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »

I enjoy the ability to use allies like in other roguelikes, but I'm not really a fan of depending upon them in later levels in order to have an easier time progressing, the lone wolf approach is more fun for me personally, which is why I love roguelikes. You can play how you want. I,m just saying I think it would be good if this didn't become a, "Well your not gunna get past level "x" unless you have "this or that" on your side." The ability to play how you want really appeals to me.

I know you dont HAVE to use allies now, I just dont want them to make the game so easy that "your doing it wrong" if you're not using them.

Just my thoughts.  ;D
Army(buckets o allies) is hard mode. You'll hit Alert 5 within a floor or two and the game becomes hell. I'm not complaining, wading through hell makes you feel like a badass. But still, it's certainly not easy mode.

Allies(4 or less) are useful, but like any other part you pick up they're disposable. Rely on them too much without the availability of spares or backup and it will kill you.

If you want an easy mode to gripe about look at flight units. Or nudity.
-Somebody

CormacMccarthy91

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »

Just my thoughts.  ;D
Army(buckets o allies) is hard mode. You'll hit Alert 5 within a floor or two and the game becomes hell. I'm not complaining, wading through hell makes you feel like a badass. But still, it's certainly not easy mode.

Allies(4 or less) are useful, but like any other part you pick up they're disposable. Rely on them too much without the availability of spares or backup and it will kill you.

If you want an easy mode to gripe about look at flight units. Or nudity.

Yea I made a similar comment about flight in another thread, saying that you should be able to beat the game with treads, wheels, or legs. If flight is the best way to go, than whats the point of the other options.
-Judge

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »

Yea I made a similar comment about flight in another thread, saying that you should be able to beat the game with treads, wheels, or legs. If flight is the best way to go, than whats the point of the other options.
I'm generally alone in this regard, but I don't think singleplayer games need to be balanced. To an extent I look at multiplayer the same way, but that's a lot more muddy.

Things are allowed to just be better. ESPECIALLY in a roguelike, where you will be forced to take the less optimal choice from time to time. If something is too good, or not fun, just don't use it.

I'd go more in depth but I've already stretched the limits of "off-topic" for this thread.
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »

There is a large segment of roguelike players like Arseface who believe that single player games don't need perfect balance. That said, I do want there to always be multiple effective ways to approach the game and succeed, and I believe that to be the case, though some may be still harder than others.

Like Arseface says, having allies generally makes the game much more difficult, so you should be right at home with the desire to solo it; that's the safer strategy. Don't think that having friends would make things easier--unless you really know what you're doing, they cause more trouble than they're worth in the long term. (In the short term it's easy to feel like your little army is unstoppable, but that's before they start sending in assault squads to put you in your place. Try it and see =p)

Even more strategies will open up later as more maps are added! Some for those who prefer allies, and some for those who prefer solo runs.

CormacMccarthy91

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »

There is a large segment of roguelike players like Arseface who believe that single player games don't need perfect balance. That said, I do want there to always be multiple effective ways to approach the game and succeed, and I believe that to be the case, though some may be still harder than others.

Like Arseface says, having allies generally makes the game much more difficult, so you should be right at home with the desire to solo it; that's the safer strategy. Don't think that having friends would make things easier--unless you really know what you're doing, they cause more trouble than they're worth in the long term. (In the short term it's easy to feel like your little army is unstoppable, but that's before they start sending in assault squads to put you in your place. Try it and see =p)

Even more strategies will open up later as more maps are added! Some for those who prefer allies, and some for those who prefer solo runs.

You're the man, thanks for letting me know.
-Judge