Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 07:12:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 11.2, volatile] 0b10 Swarmers ignoring player-affiliated Watcher  (Read 1688 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile

While playing volatile mode, i entered my seventh garrison. At some point, i hacked a Watcher (formatsys) after waking them up.
Later, i set them up in a corridor for a Swarmer squad to effectively blow themselves up.
When the Swarmer squad passed by, i thought the Watcher had been destroyed without causing a big explosion, but after destroying the watcher squad, i found out my Watcher friend was still alive!
And they didn't flee or anything. They were just standing there.
See attached screenshot for more information.

Seed : BackupPulsePlating
Beta 11.2, volatile
RIF abilities : Threat Obfuscation (1), Signal Jamming, Watcher Feeds, Patrol Navigation, Alert ID Control, Program Shield.
I had the same couplers equipped when the Swarmers passed by the Watcher.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 11.2, volatile] 0b10 Swarmers ignoring player-affiliated Watcher
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 06:31:59 AM »

I don't think it's likely there was a bug here, but there's not enough information to really discern what actually happened, or what the AIs were doing. Whatever happened is probably not going to be as simple as "they didn't even notice an obvious hostile Watcher along their route," for example. I can envision some scenarios where this result could theoretically occur, but would have to ask a lot more questions to get anywhere with it.

Can leave this around in case it provides insight into some future issue, but whatever did happen wouldn't be unique to Volatile mode.

Neat strategy to get squads to blow themselves up using RIF strategies combined with Volatile mode, though!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 07:36:05 AM »

Neat strategy to get squads to blow themselves up using RIF strategies combined with Volatile mode, though!
Thanks. A shame it didn't work with that watcher, though. I tried it again with another squad; Still nothing!

I don't think it's likely there was a bug here, but there's not enough information to really discern what actually happened, or what the AIs were doing.
If it's useful, i do have a screenshot of a moment where the Swarmers are directly in line of sight of the Watcher, and a save file of such a moment, both attached to this post.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 07:49:03 AM by R-26 Lightspeed »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 07:11:38 PM »

Thanks for the save! That allowed me to explore this in more detail, and indeed you found a new bug :)

It has to do with specifically your Watcher Feeds RIF ability, and an exception that was added for AI treatment of Watchers when you have that (under certain conditions). It was being extended to 0b10 AI here! Fixed in Beta 12.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 07:15:02 PM by Kyzrati »

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile

Does that exception for AI treatment of Watchers mean that my watcher is effectively immune to ob10 bots, or is there still a way i could use them to cause 0b10 bots to effectively self-destruct?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

No it was a bug, like I mentioned above already fixed in Beta 12.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile

Yes, but my run is still ongoing in beta 11.2, which doesn't have the fix, so i'm wondering if the bug means attempts at causing bots to blow up watchers friendly to me are completely useless, or if there's some way i can have my watcher friends still be attacked by 0b10 bots.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Oh, in that run... yeah once you have Watcher Feeds it won't work.