Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 05:39:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: What NOT to do, or: Learning from each other's mistakes  (Read 4319 times)

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
What NOT to do, or: Learning from each other's mistakes
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:19:35 AM »

Yo. I'm creating this thread as an outlet for everyone to share tips they've learned the hard way. I'm not picky, just throw shit down as you come across it :P

I'm starting:
Impact weapons are the melee-equivalent of rocket launchers. They are really good at damaging small parts on enemies, so I thought to myself, "Hey! I'll use this POWER MAUL to really show those Programmers a thing or two!" Got in a scrap with 6 Sages, came out on top minus a few power cores, but... There was no salvage. There was nothing but matter and two unusable reactors. I laughed. I cried. And then I died.

E.I.G.

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: What NOT to do, or: Learning from each other's mistakes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:31:17 AM »

Don't continue hacking past 50% trace. It will most likely lock out the machine, and you might get a point of corruption.

One point of corruption is enough to make leaving the floor a priority as it could cause you to randomly drop your power core.
In the middle of a fight. When you have low energy so you can't just put a new one in.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:35:19 AM »

I could change this opinion in time, but in the last few runs I wished I had matter storage units... Oh the things I could have built... And I left them every time :(

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:43:45 AM »

I could change this opinion in time, but in the last few runs I wished I had matter storage units... Oh the things I could have built... And I left them every time :(
Yo dawg, pro tip: The Serfs in the Scrapyard carry Medium Matter Storage Units. Don't leave until you've got a full one in your inventory. I almost always carry it all the way through Materials, building if I have the opportunity. It loses its luster when you hit Factory though, because then you start getting really good items.

E.I.G.

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:48:09 AM »

Yo dawg, pro tip: The Serfs in the Scrapyard carry Medium Matter Storage Units. Don't leave until you've got a full one in your inventory. I almost always carry it all the way through Materials, building if I have the opportunity. It loses its luster when you hit Factory though, because then you start getting really good items.
I have seen those Serfs drop Small or Medium units, but at least the lower rating parts can be built with a small. The first pair appears on turn 100.

Also it is possible to run out of matter with full storage units in your inventory. So then you cannot attach the units to use the matter in them.

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »

Why does fab require storage unit? Why cannot it subtract matter from Cogmind's store?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »

One point of corruption is enough to make leaving the floor a priority as it could cause you to randomly drop your power core.
In the middle of a fight. When you have low energy so you can't just put a new one in.
I seriously LOL'd at this. What are the chances of that? Pretty low...

Why does fab require storage unit? Why cannot it subtract matter from Cogmind's store?
It's partially a thematic decision, and partially a mechanics thing to prevent fabrication from being too easy.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

E.I.G.

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »

I seriously LOL'd at this. What are the chances of that? Pretty low...
Probably not that long actually, I was still pretty early in the game and under fire so there were only so many options that it could eject. Not to mention that having energy weapons and/or other high consumption items can make it really bad to not pay attention to a suddenly draining energy supply because you are out of engines, no matter how you lost them.