Grid Sage Forums

• April 30, 2024, 09:10:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Settings not saving..  (Read 4328 times)

MagicWalker

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Settings not saving..
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »

hello

As tittle says,my settings is not saving, i need to set my option again and again everytime i start cogmind...
Any ideas?

infectedm

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Re: Settings not saving..
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »

MagicWalker

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »

Thanks for reply :)

Well i dont have a antivirus...i Recently uninstaled bitdefender because it was slowing my computer too much... I dont have antispyware,firewall either...

infectedm

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »

Where did you install the game to? If I place it in my Program Files folder I'm getting the same behavior. Probably because you need administrator privileges in order to write to the Program Files directory.

@Kyzrati: I think on Windows all user-specific data should be written to %appdata%.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:30:11 AM by infectedm »

MagicWalker

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »

On another partition to my "games" folder...

edit: ok so i extracted archive to different folder (same partition) and it works now.. :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:46:23 PM by MagicWalker »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »

edit: ok so i extracted archive to different folder (same partition) and it works now.. :)
One of the requirements for installation is that it be somewhere you have admin privileges to allow for file saving to the local directories.

Thanks for helping me out infectedm!

@Kyzrati: I think on Windows all user-specific data should be written to %appdata%.
It's true that this is the "proper" way to do it, but I personally find it incredibly annoying when games do that. Most roguelikes store their files locally. But then of course most roguelikes are not commercial games...

If possible I'd like to keep it as is, but if it becomes a huge issue for a lot of people I could change it. (The funny thing is, once that changes we start getting queries about "where the heck is my config data?!" :P)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

MagicWalker

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 02:16:12 AM »

Many games offer when instaling to choose where you want to have your saves etc. stored...

infectedm

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 04:22:59 AM »

There is one drawback when you store your files in the installation folder: if there are two people playing the game on the same pc, they need to have separate copies of the game... Considered the size of the game this isn't too much of an issue though :)

As a workaround for the game being installed in the program files folder:
icacls "C:\Program Files\COGMIND" /grant %USERNAME%:(CI)(OI)F
This grants all full access to the current user. Needs to be executed with admin privileges: press Win+X -> Command prompt (admin).

(I think this issue should be gone when you release on Steam - some of my Steam games also seem to store their savegames locally)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »

Many games offer when instaling to choose where you want to have your saves etc. stored...
Interesting, I haven't encountered that before.

In any case, Cogmind doesn't have an installer (I hate them myself, but I should provide the option eventually when the potential audience grows).

There is one drawback when you store your files in the installation folder: if there are two people playing the game on the same pc, they need to have separate copies of the game... Considered the size of the game this isn't too much of an issue though :)
Haha, that is true, and another way to look at the benefit of user-relative data storage, which is why MS does it... but it's annoying for those who prefer having everything in one convenient place and not have to go find some differently named directory (or subdir, or subsubdir...) over in %appdata%.

As a workaround for the game being installed in the program files folder:
icacls "C:\Program Files\COGMIND" /grant %USERNAME%:(CI)(OI)F
This grants all full access to the current user. Needs to be executed with admin privileges: press Win+X -> Command prompt (admin).

(I think this issue should be gone when you release on Steam - some of my Steam games also seem to store their savegames locally)
I'm not too familiar with Steam, but I imaging it does handle local saving just fine since games are run under Steam's own privileges.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon