Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 08:53:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Interface / kb (alpha vs num)  (Read 1232 times)

qalnor

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Interface / kb (alpha vs num)
« on: November 27, 2016, 07:31:43 AM »

When you do:
/-Number: it provides you with prompting to help you pick the right choice from the currently lettered items in your inventory.

When you do:
/-Alpha: it creates a new list of alphas from your inventory that has nothing to do with their current labels.

I like the way /-Number works a lot better, and if it's possible to extend this functionality to /-Alpha I think it would be good as an option if there's a reason for the current functionality or, if not, the only method.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Interface / kb (alpha vs num)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:38:45 AM »

Hm, I don't understand what you're suggesting. Part swapping does what makes the most sense when working from either direction--if swapping in an item from the inventory, you want to know what slots are valid for it, whereas if swapping out an item from a slot, you want to know what inventory items are valid for that slot.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

qalnor

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:53:55 PM »

Hm, I don't understand what you're suggesting. Part swapping does what makes the most sense when working from either direction--if swapping in an item from the inventory, you want to know what slots are valid for it, whereas if swapping out an item from a slot, you want to know what inventory items are valid for that slot.

http://imgur.com/a/ES0PB

Ok, so my point here is that these things already have labels.

If I look at the screen and decide, 'ok I want to swap I and 2' then I can press / and then 2I and it will work, but I can't press I2 and have it work.

The current functionality may be useful if you decide 'I really want to swap out I.. for something, but I'm not sure what' or 'I'd like to compare each of my equipped items with potential upgrades', but personally (and admittedly from a new player standpoint) I more often want to reference the labels that already exist on the screen.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 06:04:11 PM »

Ah okay, now I get it, thanks for the example. Yeah that's not possible because the inventory can only show up to 10 items at once, i.e. the digits 1~0, and therefore many of your items won't even have a number associated with them. The swapping feature is also at its most useful when the inventory is beyond 10 items, e.g. many combat-oriented Cogminds are carrying 15-25 items by the mid game, and therefore many of them won't be listed without scrolling. (If it helps, notice that the items are not only reduced to a single category, but also alphabetized as listed for the swap.)

Also, you can already do keyboard-based swapping directly using only visible "labels" (reference numbers/letters), via the original method we've had since the 7DRL: Hold Ctrl-Shift and press the letter you want to swap out, followed by the number you want to swap into its place. That does exactly what you're looking for. So for example:
If I look at the screen and decide, 'ok I want to swap I and 2' then I can press / and then 2I and it will work, but I can't press I2 and have it work.
In the above scenario, hold Ctrl-Shift and press 'i' followed by '2' and it will swap those two. No modal '/' necessary.

Beginners will mostly be using the mouse, in which case drag-drop is the easiest way to swap parts, while keyboard players have more than one option available depending on what's most convenient at the time.

qalnor

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »

In the above scenario, hold Ctrl-Shift and press 'i' followed by '2' and it will swap those two. No modal '/' necessary.

Damn don't know how I missed that. Been doing it with the / the entire time.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »

Hehe, interesting because that was the only way to do it purely via keyboard until the latest release, Alpha 12 :P. Now throughout the control scheme we have so many methods to do a lot of the same things (since players have different preferences) that not all players will be familiar with all methods, or newer players might assume the way they know is the only way!