Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 07:11:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Acquiring Pest Schematic @ Terminal = Friendly Pests Immediately Spawn  (Read 840 times)

MJWkr

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

The subject pretty much says it all...

I hacked a Terminal, and it gave me the option to get a Pest schematic. So, I got that.  And then immediately when I shut down the hacking UI I found myself accompanied by 3 allied pests. 

This was most definitely a 'regular' green Terminal, not a Fabricator.  The option was to get the schematic, not build anything...which I'm pretty sure cannot be done at a Terminal, right?

Screenshot attached. I opened the log so you can see the record...'connect with terminal...' where I picked up the schematic. You can see the pests that spawned after it was done with.

-MJWkr

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Acquiring Pest Schematic @ Terminal = Friendly Pests Immediately Spawn
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »

Correct, this isn't supposed to happen at a terminal, and honestly tons of people hack schematics but we've never seen anything like this :P. It's literally impossible because the schematic retrieval and fabrication code aren't event connected to one another in any way in the code. So this is really baffling and there must be some other explanation. Like, those Swarmers came from somewhere else? I notice you're not standing right next to the terminal anymore, and they could've arrived through other means? When you closed the UI and hadn't moved at all, they had immediately appeared just then?

Actually notice that those Pests are purple instead of blue, which indicates you don't have direct control over them (and that they weren't fabricated). They are just allies that happen to be following you. Allies like that can come from other sources, like compromised ambush traps, and a few other possibilities. But normally that would be accompanied by a log message, and we don't see one here... so there seems to be more to this than the schematic hack.

Thanks for the report. This is weird. All we can do for now is see if it happens again. I just tried to repeat it by hacking tons of robot schematics all over the place, and (as expected) this was never the result. There must have been other factors involved.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

MJWkr

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 07:47:53 PM »

Do pests emerge from Garrisons?

Because, in handsight, I am pretty sure that the Garrison I had connected with prior to the terminal allowed me to use Trojan(reprogram) successfully. 

I loaded the same seed to find the location again (OCD!! :) ) and it seems to me that the Garrison is close enough, and pests are fast enough, that they probably emerged from the Garrison immediately after I was done with the Terminal. There doesn't appear to be ambush traps around.

Having acquired the pest schematic would have therefore been a funny coincidence.

Mystery solved, I think. Unless you tell me that pests aren't supposed to come from Garrisons. :) (I don't recall if I've seen that or not.) Thanks for humoring me.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »

Okay yeah that's definitely how it happened. Pests can emerge from garrisons, sure, and having reprogrammed it would mean they'd come out purple and follow you--and yeah they're quite fast so they just rounded the corner quickly. Thanks for going back to solve the mystery, otherwise it would seem like an unconfirmed bug with no reasonable explanation :P

Pretty funny coincidence that you'd just gotten the schematic and then a squad of them showed up for you, though!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon