Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 07:15:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: UI quality of life improvements  (Read 1166 times)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
UI quality of life improvements
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »

Two suggestions to make the UI more user-friendly.

Do not switch my propulsion type when I equip a new part (e.g. switch to legs if I was using flight).

Do not auto-scroll my part list when I equip/remove an item. Maintain my last position in the list.

Thanks!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: UI quality of life improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »

Do not switch my propulsion type when I equip a new part (e.g. switch to legs if I was using flight).
This is caused by part autoactivation. You can press 'p' to temporarily deactivate it if you're going to attach an extra unused form of propulsion, but in a majority of cases players attaching propulsion intend for it to be activated like other parts (even in some cases where it will turn off existing propulsion, so that wins out in terms of default behavior). (Also, you probably know about this but there's the ';' key for propulsion cycling.)

That said, I can easily add an override option for you in the .cfg. Expect it in Alpha 12.

Do not auto-scroll my part list when I equip/remove an item. Maintain my last position in the list.
It would've been this way from the beginning if it weren't somewhat problematic :P. I want that, too! There are some special cases that could cause inconsistent behavior (without a lot of work to take different possibilities into account), but I'll look into it. I very much prefer consistency when it comes to UI design.

And at least this is a less significant issue than prior to Alpha 11 since there is now slot-based item attachment/swapping.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »

I've desired these two things as well, though they're not a big deal (we've come a long way!). Perhaps the propulsion can auto-activate only if it's of the same type as the currently active propulsion, or if there's no active propulsion?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »

I would prefer to add that as an option (that's the override I was talking about), because for a beginner the inconsistent behavior would be confusing.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 10:47:43 PM »

So there's a new option to address the first OP request in Alpha 12, which was released today. It's in the user/cogmind.cfg file as "disableSecondPropulsionAutoactivate"

Ran out of time to look into the second request, but it's still up for consideration.