Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 03:09:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: One-Click Equip  (Read 870 times)

JonnyCog

• Unaware
    • View Profile
One-Click Equip
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »

Okay, I read through the controls / looked up the manual for this one  :P

One major thing occurred to me today, given Cogmind's mouse-driven interface, was the lack of context-sensitive menus. I saw this being discussed in an earlier thread, and I disagree with the notion of 'keyboard as king' - (for hardcore roguelike players, sure, but not for wider audiences.)

Here's the scenario I had in mind:

A player has two wheels, one moderately damaged, one heavily damaged.

Player mouses over a nearby, new wheel -> right-clicks (or left-click hold) -> selects 'Equip' -> Cogmind moves to wheel, collects wheel, removes heavily damaged wheel, equips new wheel, activates wheel. (Depending on player preferences, heavily damaged wheel remains in inventory or is dropped.)

All actions taking the same number of moves/turns as they would normally.

Thoughts?

A brief aside: This is my feedback as a new player getting introduced to the mechanics - I've got a ton of observations from a 'newbie' standpoint, but if you feel it's preferable to complete a run first and better understand Cogmind as a whole before spouting off, I'll do so :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: One-Click Equip
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 08:08:48 AM »

Your opinions as a beginner are valuable in their own way, yes. Though I'm sure you'll come to a different understanding of many features as you play more :)

I wouldn't say* keyboard is king at all (except for the hardcore :P), nor was that the intention--that's why the mouse is so useful! It even got drag-drop, which is the most intuitive for mouse players to interact with the inventory.

Assuming you first click on a destination to path there, the 'a' key does what you are talking about (and more! all automatically!), though the mouse is only so capable without context menus.

But I would never add context menus. That is a very conscious decision with regard to the control scheme. I agree they have their benefits, which is why they are so popular in games, but they also create an extra layer of abstraction between the player and the main interface which I don't want to see in Cogmind.

(*Data point: Two-thirds of current players use the mouse.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon