Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 12:44:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Slots in scorehistory.txt  (Read 1392 times)

lord

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Slots in scorehistory.txt
« on: October 13, 2016, 01:28:21 AM »

Greetings 2 supreme C[og]reator.

Now we see quantity of slots which have been occupied by some hardware before the shutdown.
It wouldn't be more useful to see the number of evolutions instead? Then it would be possible to draw more conclusions, looking at the general statistics when direct influence of set of evolutions to location or/end score.

lord

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Re: Slots in scorehistory.txt
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 01:30:35 AM »

Oh, wrong forum branch. My fail. Sorry about that.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 01:42:22 AM »

(No problem, moved it for ya :) )

I was trying to keep the scorehistory file as simple as possible, and technically both slot counts and the location carry the same info as an evolution counter.

Certainly with slots you have to add them up and subtract out 7 (for the starting number), which isn't immediately obvious, but the location column already shows your depth, which directly correlates to the number of times you evolved (unless you died in the Proximity Caves, but that's a special case). I think location and that depth number are going to be more telling than evolutions itself in terms of progress, no?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

lord

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 02:06:46 AM »

the location column already shows your depth, which directly correlates to the number of times you evolved
Yes. But what evolutions I have made? It is very important.
Example. My scorehistory and Parts from last run:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
P  P  U  W
1  0  5  2
What information I could gather from the fact that I have zero Propulsion? :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:25:10 AM »

Ah, I thought you were referring to adding the number from the score sheet, the total number of evolutions, not evolutions per slot :P

Well, in this case you can still simply subtract out the number of starting slots, yeah? Like if it shows 3 final propulsion slots, you know you added 1. To me the actual number is somewhat more informative than only showing what was evolved, since that's what you had to work with at the time. Unless of course we actually showed what you evolved at each depth which would be nice and useful but will probably only come with a planned future update to the score sheet itself, not scorehistory.

All that said, based on the information you've shown above, it looks like your totals are referring to how many actual parts you have attached (?) at death/win, not slots (but you're referring to evolutions and slots, so I'm only guessing here). That's even less useful as a general metric since most Cogminds die mostly naked. (Yes, so sad...) Seems like you're implying the lack of propulsion was what caused the death? That's a fairly interesting way to look at it now, though won't altogether be incredibly useful in the data since you are more often than not stripped of other parts as well before actually falling to core destruction.

(On a related note, I view scorehistory as a summary of the most crucial information which can always lead you to more details if necessary by checking out the date stamp and opening the full score sheet.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 08:26:25 PM »

Hey lord, to get back to you on this, I only more recently realized we had a total disconnect on this issue! What you found was actually a bug I didn't know about, but based on your wording I'd assumed you were talking about something else--that you want to exclude the starting number of slots from the total record. What you were apparently asking for, however, was precisely what was intended by the system, but that early on I didn't realize the new scorehistory.txt has a couple bugs in it, like that one.

It is fixed and will behave as you (and I :P) originally wanted come Alpha 12!

lord

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 04:47:49 AM »

Thanks a lot! :)

The main problem in this situation - my nasty English. I am similar to a dog - understand everything, but itself I can't explain anything :D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 05:43:53 AM »

Hehe, no problem, it would've helped if I'd fully tested the history before releasing it, but it was a quick job done in response to a feature request which I'd quickly edged into an already overflowing feature list for Alpha 11, so there wasn't enough time... Ended up having two bugs in that little thing xD

Glad it finally worked out, though!