Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 01:31:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Graphics settings - Borderless window  (Read 2052 times)

mugsy

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Graphics settings - Borderless window
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »

coming from one of the people who has discovered how fantastic it is to use remote desktop applications to a dedicated server computer for your VM's and some games... please can we have a borderless window option.

this feature prevents the remote desktop application from detecting a change in screen resolution when you tab to another program.

particularly useful for users of chrome remote desktop software as this program puts a popup right in front of you when a screen change is detected and when you move it out of the way in fullscreen applications it tabs out, then when you go back to the game it detects the change and puts the popup back essentially preventing the programs use.

also makes life much easier for people with laptops that have odd resolutions and regularly tab out to web browsers and wikis :)

Ordinarily i would circumvent this issue by using software that changes always on top flags and forced window position but in the case of cogmind for some reason it always sits under the windows taskbar when i force the window position to create fake fullscreen and i dont normally fancy disabling the taskbar in case i have difficulties turning it back on!

personally, i get around it at the moment by simply using a different RDP software but teamviewer is too slow and RealVNC (which i have at the moment but it expires very soon) requires payment to enable encryption so options are limited.

just for some context... i'm using this to play on my android tablet using my dedicated server computer at home.
I will experiment with the built in windows RDP in the mean time but a borderless window option make the issue go away xD

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Graphics settings - Borderless window
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »

Playing on your tablet?! Oh my :P

Yep, I do plan to look into a borderless window option. It's been requested a couple times before and is on my (still very long) list of things to do! I've just moved it to the top of that list. I'm not sure if or how well the engine supports it, since I haven't done it before, but if it's possible it will be a thing.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

mugsy

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:15:18 PM »

Playing on your tablet?! Oh my :P

it actually works surprisingly well as long as you use a bluetooth keyboard or something, i normally use a mouse too.
and if you cant really see something you just pinch zoom.

I do it all the time when i goto lunch at my fav cafe and they let me use the wifi! Dwarf Fortress, DCSS, HoMM3, SotS FreeCol and cogmind have all have been extremely fun to play on the go! :D
I also like to run many other games the same way whether it be from my tablet/laptop/main computer.

I have just fallen into the habit of using it RDP a lot... obviously only for turn based and some adventure games,
with the right setup you even get the sound... but it slows things down depending on the connection.
dwarf fortress breaks the rules here slightly because you do everything in a pause state... that and my laptop is so crap it cant really run it so i just use the laptop like a terminal into a much more powerful computer.

Anyway, I have gone off track.

Borderless window has proven to be more compatible with many hardware configurations too (at least in my experience), reducing screen tearing and often eliminating it without vsync (not that your game needs vsync). also helps with artifacting issues and failing hardware. in short if your engine supports it its a good idea. and if it works with no issues, given the type of game that we have here... borderless should be the default and the native fullscreen should be the troubleshooting mode if something goes pear shaped.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:20:12 PM by mugsy »

mugsy

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »

my (still very long) list of things to do!

So when are you getting around to finishing x@com !! :P

I can't wait to see you bring back the macro part of the game.
don't forget to code some sort of auto resolve mechanic for me!

you need a clone...

huehuehue

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:56:07 PM »

So when are you getting around to finishing x@com !! :P
So mean!

I do need a clone. I'm raising one right now, but he's not interested in computers yet, and is only 4 years old :P

mugsy

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 03:07:12 AM »

So mean!

They may be crude... but at least you know you have people here that are ready and waiting to buy your next project!

8)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 03:18:29 AM »

Always much appreciated :)