Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 04:53:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Utility to Reduce Swap/Attach time unit  (Read 1294 times)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Utility to Reduce Swap/Attach time unit
« on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »

The game uses time unit (TU) system for actions such as attaching or swapping parts. For example, it takes 100 TU to attach and 150 TU to swap. This means by the time you finish swapping, one turn has passed, possibly even 2 turns depending on previous action. This is important to remember when you need to start fighting but aren't fully ready with your choice of weapons and utilities stuffed in your inventory. So by the time you swap out a gun for missile (against swarmers) or a valuable sensor for armor, you would be taking a bit too much damage than you would like. Sure, evolving helps a lot to add more slots, but sometimes it doesn't seem enough (or maybe I'm not that efficient).

We've already seen a way to reduce TU for movement (stacking flying propulsion), and eventually we'll have a way to reduce volley time as well (one of the upcoming Cogmind features). So here I'm thinking if there can also be a utility to reduce TU for swapping parts (and possibly attaching, detaching, dropping, and picking up parts as well), maybe cutting the TU by half so a full turn wouldn't have passed before you can start shooting (150 to 75 TU). Would that be too powerful? If so, you can also add extra cost for fast swapping such as more matter, energy, or heat.

I'm not sure how useful this will be for stealth Cogmind, but it seems useful for combat ones. Let me know if this is a good idea, or if skill can easily replace this utility. Thanks!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Utility to Reduce Swap/Attach time unit
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »

Welcome, DDarkray!

A utility of this nature is definitely already on the list for consideration. The possibility was mentioned in some discussions last year, but it has been gradually pushed downwards on the TODO list by higher priorities. Without a closer analysis I can't be sure, but this does sound like something worth trying to see what players do with it.

As mentioned more recently, additional utilities (and modifications to some existing lesser-used utilities) will be coming in future releases, especially around 1.0 as we work towards further expanding player strategical options, which utilities excel at :)

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll be referencing your comments when I get back to this.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 07:21:53 AM »

Thanks for your response! I'm not sure if there's a public TODO list, but if there is, I'll definitely check it out. There are definitely a lot more important things, so I can wait.

Also, another suggestion relating to TU, is there a way to show available TU left to spend this turn? For example, it would be nice to see if I can cross the corridor without being detected by a patrol, or if I can go peek around a corner and run back to hiding if I see an enemy. I assume using the 'wait' button will automatically pass a turn and reset TU back to 100, but I like to not waste a turn if I need to be efficient. (I'm sure this has been suggested already, but I'm just checking.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »

No, I keep the TODO list private (except for the major stuff you can see listed on the FAQ). This particular idea will likely make it in when I get to adding future batches of utilities, though there are already plenty enough new ones for Alpha 11 :)

Regarding detailed subturn time info, it's been suggested and discussed a few times, but I don't really want to open the door to micromanagement of that type. This information is also less valuable than one would imagine, since you would have to combine it with knowledge of when each other robots' turns will occur, since they, too, are not generally acting on turn boundaries.

Kalkkis

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 07:34:42 AM »

You could simply add the TU reduction for swapping items in existing item, integration mediator and such that already recude the matter cost of attaching items. So you wouldn't have two very specialized items, just one still quite specialized one.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 07:45:25 AM »

Utilities are generally designed to provide a single benefit, and scale that benefit so that it is worthwhile for the slot(s) it requires. This makes comparison of items somewhat easier, which is important in a game with so much inventory management and item swapping.

Combined effects aren't impossible, and certainly some items are less worthwhile than others in almost all cases (since they might be intended more for other robots rather than yourself), but I try to stick to that theme in the design. We'll see!