Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 12:44:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Allow examine outside of keyboard mode?  (Read 2359 times)

Elronnd

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
Allow examine outside of keyboard mode?
« on: August 11, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »

Pressing "x" while not in keyboard mode gives a message, "Examine only necessary in keyboard mode."  I don't quite see the reasoning behind this, though.  Since the key doesn't do anything else while in mouse mode, why not let people use examine while in mouse mode?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Allow examine outside of keyboard mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »

If you're trying to examine what's at your current position, you can use the 'd' key directly without keyboard/examine mode, but if you're clicking around with the mouse anyway, examine mode is going to be slower--could you explain what you're trying to do with it? (just to look at your own position?)

One reason is that examine moves the cursor automatically. The other is that it was easier to divide the input into two modes in order make some internal assumptions regarding input intent, of which there are many.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

UnprovedLamppost

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 07:45:01 AM »

Sorry for necroing this topic. But I'm having a similar issue even though I'm quite a newbie.

I mainly play in keyboard mode (vi-movement ftw) but sometimes disable it to look at some items with the mouse. Now what happens to me somethimes is that I forget that I disabled keyboard mode after a while and want to look at something again and quickly type xyyyd for instance. But instead of looking at the item cogmind walked over there because x only resulted in a warning.

What could help me prevent this and might even improve QoL for others was an option to make x switch to keyboard mode automatically. Would that be something you might consider?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 08:49:10 PM »

Quote from: UnprovedLamppost link=topic=540.msg9554#msg9554
What could help me prevent this and might even improve QoL for others was an option to make [i
x[/i] switch to keyboard mode automatically. Would that be something you might consider?
Hm, interesting idea. I could add this, although it would have to be deactivated by default and you'd need to set it in the advanced options, because otherwise we have a bunch of newer players accidentally getting themselves into keyboard mode and not knowing what's going on :P

Also welcome :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 05:25:50 PM »

Alrighty, for Beta 11 I've added two new advanced.cfg options to enable control over this behavior: examineEntersKeyboardMode / autoExitKeyboardMode :)