Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 03:46:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #49 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Lone Warrior]  (Read 1814 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #49 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Lone Warrior]
« on: July 16, 2016, 09:14:11 AM »

This week's seed: Lone Warrior

Unless you can find some hunks of metal that'll willingly follow you into the meat grinder...

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Lone Warrior] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Ved

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #49 [Alpha 9] [Seed: Lone Warrior]
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »

Ouh, I'm really weak player. Altought... It was my ~10 (edit: 6th) run and I was able to reach -5. So I'm a bit proud of me ;)

In scrapyard, I took aluminium legs, small lasers and pulse gun. Go to first material, then, I suppose, mines (long, narrow corridors and some cave-like rooms). Two first evolves: propulsion and utility. Nice shooting in Materials -8, I was swarmed once, and lost few important parts (including storage unit).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entering Factory I took power and utility. I was a bit scared and excited because it was my first time in Factory ever. But, huh, first level was really peaceful and I just gather some items and entered lower caves. It was too easy until I discovered stairs... The same situation on second level of lower caves.

I left caves naked and factory -6 was just running for life. It was going bad at the beginning

but I managed to survive and 'reconstruct' myself eventually. In the meantime, I fall into chute and land in Wastes. Looks nice and went full of allies.

But just after that things went worst. Enemies with launchers destroyed walls which were my covers and swarmed me. I was barely alive.

I managed to reach next stairs, but this time it was end of my life.

En generalement, it was my best run so far. I discovered caves (nice map generation) and factory (huh, pretty big). I tried to play stealthy but probably I don't know how to make it in proper way yet :)

Score: 4383

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 03:05:00 AM »

Aw yeah, won :)

I also streamed it (the video should be available here for a while--several hours long!). Not a lot of people showed up because it was somewhat later than usual, and on an odd day of the week for me, but I was going to play the seed anyway and felt like streaming it since it's been a while. zxc and Sherlockkat were there, along with a few faces new to the game.

I was aiming to win, so I'm glad it turned out that way :P

It was a really exciting run.

The first half was a pretty standard combat run, and when I reached -5 I ended up taking the caves again (not intentionally since I was in a hurry), but that turned out to be my saving move. I was in plenty good shape, so

Then later in -3/Research I was apparently heading through a main thoroughfare on my way to the exit I'd already discovered via an earlier Derelict Log. The exit was waaay in the far corner of the map, and not only were squad after squad coming at me, but a nearby garrison was repeatedly dispatching reinforcements. Not a good place to be fighting!

Early on I recognized things were going to get bad real fast, and the alert level was rising rapidly with assaults coming after me, but I had a pretty defensible position so I didn't want to retreat.

But things started to get bad.

And then worse.

I fought in that corridor for ages, retreating at one point and advancing again, and eventually started to push past everything but didn't have enough spare parts to finish off the last of them--towards the end I'd taken care of all but a few Sentries, which I couldn't do much against since all I had left were mini-nukes.

So it was time to run smart, and that's what I did, picking up a single prototype flight unit to speed up the process (and carried an inventory full of nukes, which would come in real handy later on). My flight unit was blown off by a Sentry, but at least there were no Swarmers following me so I kept hovering away taking some fire. I reached a dead end between me and the exit, so I nuked through the walls and made it out naked with only 100 core remaining :D

The next floor I knew would be comeback time, because

Spoiler: Score: 21,705 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 03:09:17 AM »

Ouh, I'm really weak player. Altought... It was my ~10 (edit: 6th) run and I was able to reach -5. So I'm a bit proud of me ;)
Nice run, Ved! Having only just recently started that's a good pace of improvement.

I tried to play stealthy but probably I don't know how to make it in proper way yet :)
But yeah stealth play can be pretty tough before you're armed with all the right knowledge. Well, I guess the same sorta goes for combat runs, too :P

I can tell you'll be reliably hanging out in the Factory in no time.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Ved

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:20:27 PM »

Having only just recently started that's a good pace of improvement.
Thanks :) Cogmind is really easy to dive into, it is one of the major causes I think. Easy to pick up and play.

But yeah stealth play can be pretty tough before you're armed with all the right knowledge. Well, I guess the same sorta goes for combat runs, too
Knowledge about mechanics for sure. But I feel that preparing to stealth run is harder task than creating combat-oriented cogmind. Essential stealth parts are rarer than decent weapons.