Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 11:12:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Looking for 7DRL Comparisons  (Read 2520 times)

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
Looking for 7DRL Comparisons
« on: May 22, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »

I've had a squabble with my bank and I'll probably be unable to get the game for another few days. My finances are fine, there was just a mix-up with my card.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping some people who've played the 7DRL can give me a rundown on how differently it plays while I twiddle my thumbs. I've read the blogs and whatnot, but some first hand accounts would be fabulous. I've played the 7DRL so using that as a reference point would be great.

Any new features that are particularly fun? Anything that still feels the same? Anything worse?
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 7DRL Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »

The new feature list is lengthy, but here are some that are fleshing out the Alpha nicely:

- Tiles - I'm not using them as I find parsing the information difficult. That said they look really good and I'm sure if I took the time to learn them they would be a joy to use.
 - Gear - The sheer amount is incredible!  In the earlier levels you'll see mostly familiar stuff from the 7DRL, but as you progress the possible combinations are huge.  The ASCII representations in the info panels are a nice touch too
 - Maps - These are huge!  Much bigger than the 7DRL by a massive margin.
 - Secrets - They are many and everywhere.  I'm still discovering new stuff in most play sessions.
 - Events - Certain levels have events which play out and can affect your strategies and were absent in the 7DRL.
 - Story line - I'm still discovering this one.  You access the Story line via Terminals dotted around the maps, however some information is difficult to access.  Each time you use a Terminal you risk being traced and after too many failed attempts it will shut down.
 - Hacking - Not something I've explored too much yet.  The more you use it the better you get, there's also gear that augments your success-rate.

Note: This is not an exhaustive list, there is MUCH more!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Looking for 7DRL Comparisons
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »

Anything worse?
Are you kidding?! ;)

And thanks so much for fielding questions on the forum for now jimmijamjams. I'm still so busy with external stuff that I've only been able to devote time to the most pressing needs like bugs, support, and marketing nonsense.

That's a nice overview. (And hey you're still using ASCII! I like how we have a really nice division of everyone enjoying what works for them--tiles vs ASCII, mouse vs keyboard...)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon