Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 03:27:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #38 [Alpha 8] [Seed: Dark Depths]  (Read 2151 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #38 [Alpha 8] [Seed: Dark Depths]
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:57:46 AM »

This week's seed: Dark Depths

They're still dark depths even if you're ascending from the bottom, right?

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Dark Depths] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #38 [Alpha 8] [Seed: Dark Depths]
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:29:59 AM »

I'm taking my notes as I go. (And I didn't end up doing anything spoilery this run...)

Quite an excellent start, this seed. There's immediate access to a cannon, grenades, and storage, then I took out an Operator for some hackware.

Treads just inside -9/MAT. I think I'll go super-heavy combat this round...

Once in the Factory, ran across this crazy huge reactor array... yeah it'll spike the alert level, but I can't resist blowing up *all* of them while taking out this squad :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Was doing just great, until I didn't pay attention to my matter and it dropped to zero just before I got surrounded!

I really need to carry matter storage (loved having that on my last combat run).

Had ONE good shot left on my grenade launcher and took most of them out at point blank, then dropped my storage unit so I could move again, picked up enough matter to attach a heavy laser, and finished the last three off :D. That was close.

Ended up having to fly away like this.

But matter is obviously still a huge issue. Then I got an assault force dispatched on me not 50 turns after that :(. I figure my best option is to hole up next to a Fabricator and see if I can overload it and zap them to death. It worked :D (Of course in doing so my own corruption jumped from 1% to 16%, ha.)

But it wasn't done with me yet ::). When I left the room another squad I couldn't handle passed by, and the Fabricator was still operational so I snuck back in and let it deal with them. Now I'm 28% corrupted! Corrupted but alive! This is a pretty bad way to start the mid-game...

Then I found this exit. Sorta scary since I only have a single crappy power source and am pretty beat up, and it could be the caves (as much as I'd like toe explore them), but I'll try it out anyway :)... it's -5/Factory.

Cannot for the life of me find a power source. One was dropped right when I needed it, but a Recycler got to it before I could stop it :/. Did find an exit, which again would be dangerous if it were the caves, not having a power source...

Yep, it's the caves (yay!), and it's is not the kind of start I was hoping for (uh oh). Surrounded by a pair of grunts and a duelist.

Actually didn't turn out too bad since they were right in my face and all three dropped their power sources as I took them out. Heh. We're in businesses! But I wonder where these particular dark depths lead... Time to attach the sensor array I've been carrying around so I don't run into an ambush.

Made it through the first cave without too much trouble, and in the second while exploring deeper I came across a base and wasn't sure what it was. I was going to walk by, then noticed an innocent Samaritan coming along. He treaded right by the door, which opened next to him and--BLAM--a ton of fire exploded out from the doorway. Okay yeah let's not go that way :P

Too late though, the hornet's nest was awoken and they spotted me as I tried to leave the area :/ (they even came out the hidden back door to cut me off)

From there I had no choice but to streak in the hopes of meeting a friendly force that could help out. That's when I ran straight into a lone Programmer... Someone will avenge me, yes? :P

Spoiler: Score: 6,967 (click to show/hide)

Man, a far cry from my kick-butt run earlier in the week :(. Next time need to play smarter. I could've made it further since I'd already discovered the Factory exit, but against my better judgement I wanted to go deeper into the caves. Always a gamble in such a bad state to begin with!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »

I explored both the lower caves and the upper caves in this run. I met Zhirov again.

I wasn't in great shape after Zhirov due to limited storage units. After getting stripped in Research and wandering about quite a bit, I died due to core attrition.

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »

I had planned on heading into the caves with a combat build, but I made a critical mistake.  I didn't find the storage unit cache, and as a result I was stuck with an inventory of 4 for the entire run.

I made the decision to forgo the caves because I knew I wouldn't be able to survive the part attrition. 

As I continued on, I still didn't find a storage unit and was too committed to combat to effectively switch to stealth.  I died eventually due to the lack of spare parts.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 07:53:02 PM »

Inventory size can be overrated. In the best combat run I've ever had I spent almost the entire time with an inventory of size 6. That run also went through about four caves.

In the caves the key to surviving with a low inventory is to force close-range combat, snatching parts mid-battle when they're vital. (Well, Interrupters are a great option, too, but you have to find one first :P) But yeah it's still quite dangerous!

If you pass up the storage caches, the next best thing is to at least take a smaller unit from one of the non-combat bots. Fairly easy to acquire, and by the time you reach the mid-game, Haulers even have Lrg. Storage.

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 09:08:58 PM »

Inventory size can be overrated. In the best combat run I've ever had I spent almost the entire time with an inventory of size 6. That run also went through about four caves.

Heresy! Burn the disbelievers!

Joking aside, I find that keeping a large inventory at all times is the best protection you can get. Since the coverage of storage units was halved, they last a lot longer and shortages of storage units are less frequent, though still common. My combat build includes 3 large storage units, and I carry 3+ spares for the rainy days. Given that branches are more common, the alert level in Factory in less problematic. You can afford staying on treads permanently while you wreck everything in sight. The low speed and the high weight are less of an issue than in previous versions.

The large storage capacity lets you carry the second most useful item: the explosive launcher. I used to carry 2, now I carry 4 and I'm seriously considering hoarding more of them. It's the best weapon in the game when you get into trouble. Just like a "get out of jail free" card in Monopoly. Your core integrity is high enough to survive a lot of 1-vs-1 encounter, but it goes down quickly when you get surrounded. It's also the best way to run out of spare parts. So you can't really afford to let the enemy gang up on you. However, tracing ARCs, secret doors, slow treads and rotten luck mean that you'll be caught out in the open at least some of the times.

My rule of thumb is that if 3+ enemies are shooting at me, it's time to swap in the launcher. This holds even if I have to shoot point-blank. Somewhat counter-intuitively, the damage you'll receive is still less than allowing the enemy to shoot back at you at close range. A full volley has speed 350+, while a launcher has speed 200. So you cut the enemy damage dramatically. You also don't risk running into thermal and power issues due to busted parts.

When you lose all your launchers or expand all your spare matter, that's when you really are in trouble.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 09:24:08 PM »

Oh look, I didn't even have to explicitly say "Decker" and it's known who I was implying ;)

I like having the extra capabilities afforded by using only one storage rather than three. That's two slots that can be put to pretty amazing use with other utilities. I do consider doubling up on storage depending on the conditions, though--depends on the build.

And I did lower their coverage to make them last even longer, yep. The main reason behind that was they already have ridiculous amounts of integrity (to mitigate the serious annoyance of losing one and giving ample time to replace it), so I didn't want them acting as makeshift armor as well.

Decker

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »

I like having the extra capabilities afforded by using only one storage rather than three. That's two slots that can be put to pretty amazing use with other utilities.

Yes, however, when you hit Research and Access, the value of those 2 slots become relatively less valuable given that you have so many slots by this time. Having a high inventory in Research/Access is invaluable when you hit alert level 5. You can usually restock on average, but it can take a while when you have to clear a horde of ARCs, programmers and patrols. When you get stripped those empty slots do nothing for you.

In my last game (not this seed), I carried a high stock of launchers at all time and it saved my skin in Access. I couldn't locate the exit and the alert level was soaring, so I went through a garrisson, found a pack of Ragnarok launchers, and it allowed me to clear ARC after ARC in Access. I almost died due to low core integrity. I believe that's a new high score (52995).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »

That is an impressive run, just beat my previous record :P. Ragnaroks are awesome (I was using them that run, too).

I think the other good use for additional slots at the end is to start stacking effects. Giving all your weapons a near-perfect hit chance in every situation, for example, means you can use distance from targets to avoid being hit, but still core one of them with every volley even without any explosives (dangerous because they don't leave much/anything to salvage, so you can't rely on them indefinitely). I see you were stacking target analyzers in your peak state.

And you went through a garrison in Access while the alert level was already high?! Truly insane 8D. Yeah I guess it has the advantage of reducing squad sizes, but it also ensures you're going to have frequent visits from angry robots. I should try more garrison tactics...

Interesting that towards the end you were down to relying on Med. Storage.

In any case, I can see how playing at alert level 5 is going to be safer with a part-heavy strategy, given the frequency of encounters exceeding normal play and therefore the balance of spare parts you might normally find, etc. Exciting :)