Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 07:03:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #33 [Alpha 7b] [Seed: Auspicious Adventure]  (Read 3945 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #33 [Alpha 7b] [Seed: Auspicious Adventure]
« on: March 24, 2016, 07:42:57 AM »

This week's seed: Auspicious Adventure

Today adventures begin anew

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Auspicious Adventure] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #33 [Alpha 7b] [Seed: Auspicious Adventure]
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:48:06 AM »

I'll definitely be streaming this one. Just have to decide when... I'll announce on Twitter and /r/Cogmind. I want to jump into the new stuff, too :). My goal will of course be to look for and talk about new content. Maybe I'll wait until after the weekend so that others have had more of an opportunity to find stuff first.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:02:46 PM »

what a trip...sad to say that one of my good old friends stopped me.
hunters...but i really like them in any way^^

Spoiler: scoresheet (click to show/hide)

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 12:45:24 AM »

Here we go again!  Into the Caves.

Weekly Seed #33 Playlist

So far, I'd say my ideal kit for jumping into the caves is:
  • 1x/2x Large Storage Units.  Need to bring in replacement parts to handle the fizzling part mechanic.
  • Launcher.  Absolutely required.  The combination of large enemy groups and wide open spaces makes a launched imperative.
  • Sensor Array + Signal Interpreter (optional).  Helps avoid unnecessary large scale confrontations.  Also has a supplemental use ;)
  • 3x weapon slots.  I feel that this is a good number of weapons to handle the resistance I've found so far.

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »

...i came till to the surprise at the end of the caves. defenitiv vistit again.
and yes sensor arrays and singnal interpreters but both improved does a good job here.
plus improved terrain scanners not bad at all in here imo.

kyzrati please look in my scoresheet at prototypes. it says prototypes(23).
now scroll and look at the prototype-list. when you count manual you can only
count 21!? not important but a littlebit wierd..bug ?

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 10:27:52 AM »

From the scoreboard:

Enno   -7/Data Miner 9887

Hmmmmm.. ;)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »

Short little run for me.

I wanted to explore as much of the caves as possible this time around. I hacked the factory exit on -7, but on my way toward the exit, I found the caves and went for it.

I stumbled upon and destroyed a few outposts. I wonder what the rules are for the robots to become active. I also destroyed machinery to increase my score, until I realized that it was already disabled so it doesn't count. Dang!

I eventually found the "Data miner" branch. I had about 300 integrity left upon entry. Immediately I noticed a long power conduit. Of course, I was curious and blew it right away. It turns out it's a doorbell system. The summoned grunts arrived and I noticed they dropped prototypes. I took my sweet time to collect them, taking shots. But these guys pack more hurt than I anticipated. I could have easily dispatched them with my 4 launchers, but I reacted too late. Curiosity killed the cat!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:57:21 PM by Enno »

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »

Quit a long circuitous run, but in the end, Researched™.

I'd love to see somebody post a YouTube video of a winning combat play through.  For me, Research (in combat mode) seems almost impossible to get through without entering "run for your life" mode.  The difficulty feels like 3x the Factory levels.

Other than that, the new content feels really interesting.  I had to leave the Proximity Caves early, so I'll have to revisit that again. 

Additionally, I acquired plans to build a combat drone bay along with some other cool stuff in Data Miner.  I couldn't find a Fabricator capable of building it until it was too late, so I'll have to try to get it again.  I want to see that thing in action.  Regenerative armor!  I'm not sure if that stuff is new, but it certainly is awesome.

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »

:o crazy...really goood run shobalk.
great that we can see the route of the others in the scoresheet now.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 01:41:30 AM »

I'm a tiny bit late to this one--couldn't stream until today, and it's good to do the seed after others anyway :). Now I can finally see what you all were up to!

But first, my own death came at -3/Research, and quite suddenly, too. An absolutely ridiculous number of Programmers converged on me, followed by more and more others units.

I got unlucky with the local layout since I figured my only hope was to overload one of the nearby Fabricators and was trying to get there, but I couldn't reach them, even starting with full integrity. Would have made it if I was flying...

I even knew where the Research exit was (further to the east), having learned it from a Derelict Log. I went through several caves on my way up, passing by the Data Miner to show it to those in the stream. Shobalk wanted me to attack the Miner but I didn't take the bait ;). Seriously by that time my core was in pretty bad shape because I insisted on exploring the Factory until I found a confirmed Lower Caves exit so I wouldn't miss the Data Miner. I didn't meet a whole lot of unexpected events in the caves, but it was quite interesting to travel through them. I like how they've turned out so far! This was my first real run through the caves, so it was new to me, too :P

Spoiler: Score: 11,539 (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 02:08:17 AM »

what a trip...sad to say that one of my good old friends stopped me.
hunters...but i really like them in any way^^
I fully expected them to be my demise, so I was surprised when it was mostly Programmers that did me in. All the Hunters I met were dispatched quickly enough. I'm sure if I'd survived -3 I would've again met with their true wrath.

I really liked having sensors in the caves, as recommended. I could tell it made them easier by avoiding some confrontations, but not too easy since they're semi-linear. I don't normally use sensors so much, but I can see them as being even more useful there than in the main complex.

kyzrati please look in my scoresheet at prototypes. it says prototypes(23).
now scroll and look at the prototype-list. when you count manual you can only
count 21!? not important but a littlebit wierd..bug ?
You can relearn the same prototype multiple times if you were corrupted and lost the information, so you still get points for it each time, but it will only be listed once at the bottom. That's likely what happened here.

From the scoreboard:

Enno   -7/Data Miner 9887

Hmmmmm.. ;)
It was funny updating the leaderboards and seeing Enno having died there--obvious what happened :)

@Decker: Hm, wow you found lots of launchers. I only found Mni. and Imp. Grenades, but not the Rockets and Missiles. It was enough, but I felt underpowered against larger squads later on since that's all I had to rely on.

It turns out it's a doorbell system.
Ha!

...oh nice, Enno looks to be the first to discover the secret thing you can do in the Data Miner's hideout. (I'd keep that spoilered anywhere it's mentioned--right now Enno's the only one and he hasn't said how he did it. It's really kind of obvious, perhaps depending on what kind of player you are ::) )

Quit a long circuitous run, but in the end, Researched™.

I'd love to see somebody post a YouTube video of a winning combat play through. For me, Research (in combat mode) seems almost impossible to get through without entering "run for your life" mode.  The difficulty feels like 3x the Factory levels.
Definitely harder, yep.

Too bad you missed my couple of winning combat streams for the Alpha 6 seeds--I can't promise I'd be able to do that in Alpha 7 :P. I did save the "epic comeback" stretch of my latter win, recording from -4 to the Access entrance, so mostly through Research. Probably not a great example since I got beat to hell a few times, but I still won ;)

Regenerative armor!  I'm not sure if that stuff is new, but it certainly is awesome.
The armor has been in the game (Happylisk found it before), but it's not a normal drop. I think the only other place you can find it right now is Storage.

That's one hell of a score there. You topped the charts. Really heavy on the EM (look out for Programmers!). I see you passed through the Cetus--for the gear?

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 08:51:28 AM »

That's one hell of a score there. You topped the charts. Really heavy on the EM (look out for Programmers!). I see you passed through the Cetus--for the gear?

I think this clip explains the EM.  Had 0 weapons and ran into a run filled with them ;).  It got so bad that I was running around with auto-guns on sections of -4 and -3.

Cetus supplied a bit of the gear.  Nice place to get armor from the guards.  I launched them in my run, so I probably didn't get as much as I could, but then again, they didn't pound me as much as they could.  Being my second time there, I accidentally took an exit out, otherwise I would have explored it further.

I think I actually manufactured a set of the regenerative armor.  I was trying to do the same with the combat drone, but couldn't find a fab that was fab enough to build it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 09:41:28 AM »

Yeah, I've had runs like that where I got my weapons shot off and have no choice but take what the Programmers deliver to me ;). But that's a real problem when yet more Programmers show up!

Looking at the Combat Drone Bay stats, it might be unreasonably hard to fabricate under the current system :/. Yeah, kinda stupid since I gave you the schematic in Alpha 7 before lifting the fab restrictions :P. I'd say don't put too much effort into that until the update. (It's possible now, but you'd need to be either a pretty good hacker or at a late-game Fabricator.)

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 02:10:41 PM »

Quote from: Kyzrati
You can relearn the same prototype multiple times if you were corrupted and lost the information
ahh great that makes totally sense..thanks

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 11:32:22 PM »

Well put ;D