Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 04:28:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Ramming caused character glyphs to disappear  (Read 1771 times)

Karlito

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Ramming caused character glyphs to disappear
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:09:26 PM »

Trapped by several dangerous bots, I attempted to ram my free through an enemy filled hallway, and then this happened:

The issue persists on saving and reloading. From the intro animation, I know that the Cogmind is actually at the north end of that hallway, though the LOS calculation stopped updating.

I had about 9% system corruption at this point, if that's at all a relevant detail.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Ramming caused character glyphs to disappear
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »

Definitely a bug, thanks for reporting in. This is caused because the game doesn't actually update FOV during Cogmind displacement, so you managed to ram your way all the way outside your own FOV where the game no longer lets you move :'(. I'll have this fixed for the next release!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:44:21 AM »

Definitely a bug, thanks for reporting in. This is caused because the game doesn't actually update FOV during Cogmind displacement, so you managed to ram your way all the way outside your own FOV where the game no longer lets you move :'(. I'll have this fixed for the next release!
Just another tidbit, in case it helps. I was ramming my way through some bots and my camera was stuck in position. My player was moving, but not centered in the window. It went like that for a couple of turns, then something kicked in and the view reset to normal. I don't know if it was lag or if there's some bugs with the way bumping works.

Reproducing bugs is hard man, I need to spend some more time testing these sort of things.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »

Nah, usually a basic description is accurate enough . Reproduceability is only absolutely necessary if there was no obvious explainable cause and no crash log (in the case of a crash).

What you describe here is all part of the same bug--the view doesn't recenter until FOV is calculated. It finally snapped back into place because some other factor triggered a recalculation.

Honestly I knew about this issue before release, but didn't anticipate players endlessly ramming bots because it sure as hell is bad for you! Obviously I was wrong :P. This'll be fixed together with the other issue, thanks!

endlessblaze

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • FIRE THE EM CANNONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 06:50:02 AM »

Never underestimate a desperate player.

I have gotten into ramming fights with full health mercenary and rammed them to death. Then take there stuff so I don't have to ram Anymore.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 07:26:07 AM »

Certainly the mechanic was added for those desperate moments, and a lot of beginners seem to be relying on it! Today I fixed this bug, so in the next release you can ram to your heart's content... (or until you explode, whichever comes first :P)

It's much better than the 7DRL, in which there were no ramming mechanics and you were essentially dead if you had no weapon and couldn't find free matter to attach another.

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »

Nah, usually a basic description is accurate enough . Reproduceability is only absolutely necessary if there was no obvious explainable cause and no crash log (in the case of a crash).

What you describe here is all part of the same bug--the view doesn't recenter until FOV is calculated. It finally snapped back into place because some other factor triggered a recalculation.

Honestly I knew about this issue before release, but didn't anticipate players endlessly ramming bots because it sure as hell is bad for you! Obviously I was wrong :P. This'll be fixed together with the other issue, thanks!
When you're out of items, low on health, and swarmed. It's your last chance to flee to safety. It almost never ends well though.