Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 03:53:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Challenges  (Read 2263 times)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
Challenges
« on: March 13, 2016, 08:20:17 PM »

Propulsion challenge: completed!

At long last! I was very lucky to find a Mini Fusion Reactor (+30 power) which helped a lot with my power issues. I managed to fly at speed 26 eventually. I had the power for a bit more but not the thermal headroom.

Sensors + interpreter make for a minimal but functional stealth build. The biggest challenge was -5, unexpectedly. I had to go through 5 chutes as I kept stumbling on 2 locked branches or Extension.

I tested the outer barrier on Access.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

End picture.

Score.

I expect the all-utility challenge will be quite a bit harder. All-weapon or all-power look nearly impossible.

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Challenges
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 09:05:54 PM »

That is a really clever build, decker!!

I assume the philosophy behind it is that you tank damage using the spare propulsion while remaining speedy converting pretty much a fairly common item type into armor. During my recent flirtation with speed runs, one thing I noticed is that such builds require a really small core of items to get started. A couple of flight units and a decent sensor/hacking setup will take you a long way. If you can protect that core set of items indefinitely with those spare propulsion slots, that's a whole different game right there..

In theory, if you can get your hands on a good sensor setup (lrn sensors with signal interpreters is quite good), this could serve as a blueprint for a really simple build/plan which requires fairly high skill to execute. Pretty cool!! Gonna try it next time I play.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:47:24 PM by Sherlockkat »

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »

I assume the philosophy behind it is that you tank damage using the spare propulsion while remaining speedy converting pretty much a fairly common item type into armor.

Yep!

If you can protect that core set of items indefinitely with those spare propulsion slots, that's a whole different game right there..

"If" being the operative keyword :) The problem with stealth builds in general is they are a few unlucky shots away from disaster due to low inventory. This is magnified with this crazy build. I carry a spare power supply just in case. But if I lose my scanner/interpreter, I'm SOL.

Obtaining a new scanner/intrepreter is surprisingly difficult. Watchers have high core integrity, they're hard to hit, fly away rapidly, call reinforcements, send distress signals, leave the wrong item on death or destroy it before they die...I hate those assholes!

Congrats for your first win BTW!

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 09:30:24 PM »

That's nuts :)  Congratulations.  I'm a ways off from attempting that.

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 09:42:42 PM »

"If" being the operative keyword :) The problem with stealth builds in general is they are a few unlucky shots away from disaster due to low inventory. This is magnified with this crazy build. I carry a spare power supply just in case. But if I lose my scanner/interpreter, I'm SOL.

Interesting. I can see that it is absolutely necessary that you have a backup power source. I think if the fabrication mechanics are improved, they can be a good support tool for builds like these. All you need to do is dedicate one of your inventory slots to a matter storage unit. Pretty low price to pay for the flexibility that comes with it.

Obtaining a new scanner/intrepreter is surprisingly difficult. Watchers have high core integrity, they're hard to hit, fly away rapidly, call reinforcements, send distress signals, leave the wrong item on death or destroy it before they die...I hate those assholes!

Congrats for your first win BTW!
:) Watchers ARE little sh*ts. I have never been able to get them to drop what I want either. But yes. A good sensor setup is hard to get going with speed builds. I have similar problems with heat dissipation. Can never find good heat sinks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:46:32 PM by Sherlockkat »

Decker

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:53:36 PM »

I have similar problems with heat dissipation. Can never find good heat sinks.

Yes -- the only reliable source is to take a grunt/programmer/sentry/(hunter) head-on. Which is kind of anticlimatic for a stealth build. Fortunately, you don't need heat dissipation if you don't go too fast. The built-in dissipator gets fairly good.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:18:08 AM »

Haha, congratulations Decker.

Regarding challenges, I do hope that one day we'll have support for things like this and others built into the game (would probably go well with Steam achievements).

And about slot distribution, just yesterday while chatting with someone I had the idea to include a special game mode in which you can't select your slots on evolution--they're chosen randomly for you and you just have to deal with it :D. Of course like other challenges you could self impose this one (pick randomly on your own) and try it out.

I think if the fabrication mechanics are improved, they can be a good support tool for builds like these. All you need to do is dedicate one of your inventory slots to a matter storage unit. Pretty low price to pay for the flexibility that comes with it.
That's my hope (and plan). I was going to try to start including these improvements in Alpha 7, but I'm not sure if there'll be enough time. It's high on the list, though, because it will contribute to new play styles.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon