Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 08:23:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #30 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Curious Lifeforms]  (Read 5639 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #30 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Curious Lifeforms]
« on: March 03, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »

This week's seed: Curious Lifeforms

Curiosity killed the Cogmind

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Level -10 entry matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Curious Lifeforms] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #30 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Curious Lifeforms]
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:10:31 AM »

Seed translation: Go out there and explore some branches you've been avoiding! (of those that have been added, anyway... we'll get some new lifeforms next release :) )
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:27:56 PM »

Seed translation: Go out there and explore some branches you've been avoiding! (of those that have been added, anyway... we'll get some new lifeforms next release :) )

Is there a list of branches that are currently in the game?

Ones I know of:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did I miss any?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:15:39 PM by Shobalk »

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »

@Shobalk :
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:04:27 PM by Sherlockkat »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »

You can usually also learn a little more about those areas by hacking terminal records, too. (Though there are also records for some areas and other content that has not yet been added.)

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:18:35 PM »

I'm to attempt to stream as well as record this one. 

Twitch
Youtube Playlist (as episodes become available)

I'll usually play in the evenings as time permits (~9:00 - 10:00 p.m. CST), but I won't have a fixed schedule.

Stream Notifications

Episode 1 - already aired
Episode 2 - already aired
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:01:30 PM by Shobalk »

kumo

• Unaware
  • Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »

I hadn't played for ages and I haven't played alpha 6 yet, so I came across the Garrison and thought that I should visit it. This will probably be the lowest score of the Weekly Seed!

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 10:14:15 PM »

Well, that was pretty much one of the most disappointing games I've every played

Rant

Score

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »

I hadn't played for ages and I haven't played alpha 6 yet, so I came across the Garrison and thought that I should visit it. This will probably be the lowest score of the Weekly Seed!
Hehe, kumo learns a new rule: Never enter a Garrison on -10. And lucky you--there's only one per floor that early, and you go hacking the access point and making your way into it :P

Rant
Spoiler: Storage tips (click to show/hide)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »

Decent run, got to -4.  I experimented with running 3 large storage units early on, and with more weapon slots than normal with an emphasis on guns over cannons.  The former approach worked nicely.  I exited Materials with a ton of armor which lasted me until the end.  The latter approach was also fun, I always underestimate how effective massed guns are.  I'm beginning to gravitate towards a loadout of 1-2 EM cannons and 3-4 kinetic/thermal guns. 

Security level spiked by -4.  Death came when 2 ARCs landed on me at once, and my route of flight was blocked by swarmers, 2 programmers, and a behemoth. 

I found chute traps on both -5 and -4 but didn't go on.   I'm beginning to think that a visit to Waste is almost mandatory.

Score sheet:

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »

so my quest was to watch out for the archieves and explore them.
i tried a combat run on treads with many storage for backup-parts.
all was so good. in a few steps i was in -7 but then...
then came a infestigation-squad full packed with flamethrowers and i
was happy when i brought down a few of them...to see that more and more come.
finally my cogmind proudly can say that he killed all of them.
but that action costs a lot of  parts plus more enemies arrieved.
my quest totally failed in -6

Spoiler: scoresheet (click to show/hide)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 05:47:51 PM »

I tried another propulsion challenge, and failed miserably due to the derelict squad with flamethrowers that Enno mentioned. Both sides seemed happy to fire at me instead of each other. I didn't die to them, but I ran into further trouble near a garrison and that was the last nail in my coffin.

kumo

• Unaware
  • Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 12:36:39 AM »

Hehe, kumo learns a new rule: Never enter a Garrison on -10. And lucky you--there's only one per floor that early, and you go hacking the access point and making your way into it :P

I was surprised that it was so easy to hack into that access point, but I suppose they don't need protecting!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 08:35:19 PM »

Well, I decided not to stream (or play) this one since as we approach Alpha 7 it's more important that I put all my time into that. I can't wait to get back to playing, though--been enjoying the short bouts of testing I've been doing :P

But this means I can now catch up on what you Cogminds were doing here...

Looks like this would've been a fun one! I would have liked to have encountered what seems to have been an infested garrison. (Or did they emerge from traps?) Note that if there are multiple opposing factions in close proximity, they'll kill each other if you give them a chance to shoot at each other, so long as they deem you the lesser threat. So moving away, not firing, etc. will make you seem less aggressive. But yeah it can be hard to gauge that sometimes (and risky!).

I was surprised that it was so easy to hack into that access point, but I suppose they don't need protecting!
Unlocking a garrison is fairly easy, since yeah they don't really expect you'd do that :P. You generally won't need hacking gear to succeed, except maybe on the high-security variants.

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 06:51:32 AM »

i think these as(s)es^^ had used a ambush-trap.
found the log and that make it clear.
and look how many...

Spoiler: the ass-crew is comin' (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 06:55:35 AM »

Haha, yep that was it. Look at all those little guys... if you don't have the right gear, I'd say running is a good option ;)

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 07:08:03 AM »

i met these guys only two times out of the mines in round about 500 runs,
so it is really rare to meet them so fast again...but when i meet them again i will run :D
(sorry for my perfect english i have to laugh too^^)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 07:38:07 AM »

Looks like this would've been a fun one! I would have liked to have encountered what seems to have been an infested garrison. (Or did they emerge from traps?)

If this was the case, then that's crazy considering the seed!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »

Yes you named it well. These curious lifeforms killed more than one challenger :P

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »

This seed references a Death lyric :)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 06:42:16 AM »

Best song on Symbolic!

e: I assume the title for seed 29 was a reference to "Cold Steel For An Iron Age." 

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 06:42:42 PM »

Best song on Symbolic!

I would have a hard time picking a best song on Symbolic :P

e: I assume the title for seed 29 was a reference to "Cold Steel For An Iron Age." 

It can be if you want it to be :P but actually it was just random. Other references in previous seeds include Particle Ghost off the HL2 OST, and Explosive Holiday had Pantera's Psycho Holiday in mind.

It is a challenge coming up with seed names that can relate to Cogmind but don't all sound the same.