Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 10:16:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #29 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Cold Steel]  (Read 2422 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #29 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Cold Steel]
« on: February 24, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »

License to use katanas

This week's seed: Cold Steel

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Cold Steel] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #29 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Cold Steel]
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:29:43 AM »

Pro tip,  Do not play late at night ;)

I debated whether or not to post the recording, but I went ahead and did it anyways.  It cuts off a little abruptly at the end because I snipped out some commentary about not bothering to post it.

The short run..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:56:41 AM »

i have good runs and i have bad runs.
the bad runs you can see in my weekly-seed-runs  :D
i take my time but right after 16min i failed again..in -9.

Spoiler: scoresheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:58:19 AM by Enno »

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:47:19 AM »

i take my time but right after 16min i failed again..in -9.

Still in the lead! Lol ;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:36:45 AM »

Well, wish I could've joined in this one to focus on katana-enabled slicing and dicing! (Also, the momentum bonus on melee damage is going up in Alpha 7, by the way :D)

How do you guys still manage these early deaths? Well, Shobalk recorded his so let's see... :P

@10:30 when you were getting trashed, you were in a fine position and had the inventory to come out of that much better than you did. Certainly you never want to end up losing your weapons, and before that point you'd lost your Hover Units but had a pair of treads doing nothing! If you'd equipped the treads they would've served as armor to soak up shots (they're some of the best early-game protection in a pinch) and you wouldn't have been disarmed. An important rule of Cogmind: Don't worry about spending time to re-equip during a firefight if the end result is likely to be better for you. Heck I'll race across an entire room taking fire if what I can pick up at the other side will allow me to better fight off whoever is shooting at me. Shooting takes a lot longer than picking things up (and moving, assuming you're not overweight).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »

Well, wish I could've joined in this one to focus on katana-enabled slicing and dicing! (Also, the momentum bonus on melee damage is going up in Alpha 7, by the way :D)

How do you guys still manage these early deaths? Well, Shobalk recorded his so let's see... :P

@10:30 when you were getting trashed, you were in a fine position and had the inventory to come out of that much better than you did. Certainly you never want to end up losing your weapons, and before that point you'd lost your Hover Units but had a pair of treads doing nothing! If you'd equipped the treads they would've served as armor to soak up shots (they're some of the best early-game protection in a pinch) and you wouldn't have been disarmed.

Not sure I can argue this very much.  Pretty much spot on ;) 

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:30:06 PM »

I came really close to winning my all-propulsion challenge. I used a scanner + interpreter in my two utility slots. Everything went well up to Access.

I had a lot of trouble finding the exit. I unlocked the "locked branch" using the terminals. I didn't know if this was the new way to exit. It wasn't.

When I finally found the real exit, I didn't have Nova cannons anymore. The back terminal didn't open the door. My fusion bomb launcher did nothing against the glass barrier. I tried using the behemoths and terminators against the barrier, but that didn't work either.

I think I could have won if I had been wiser.

Picture in Access.

Score.