Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 08:18:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #28 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Creepy Cave]  (Read 2634 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #28 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Creepy Cave]
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »

Enter the creepy cave ???

This week's seed: Creepy Cave

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Creepy Cave] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #28 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Creepy Cave]
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »

I'll be streaming this one next week at the usual time, and because of the name I will take on the Mines aw yeah. (Since that's the closest thing we have to caves right now--the real caves are coming in Alpha 7 :D)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 10:19:06 PM »

Maybe I should've saved the name for Alpha 7 :P

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 09:48:26 PM »

Another fun run that included a visit to storage... eventually.  I did experience another crash on -5 after playing a large swath of the level.  After downloading the patched Cogmind.exe, I gave it another go.  The second run was much more difficult largely due to getting corrupted ~28%.  I started losing track of myself as map data vanished, and it took stumbling upon the starting area to figure out what was going one ;)

I did record this run again, so if you are so inclided, you can follow along here.  Watch me go bonkers as I step into a chute 1 space away from an Advance Hacking Suite!

Until next week.

Score Sheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 02:37:22 AM »

Well, this wins the spot for my most epic run ever :D

Unbelievably, I won. Several times I was almost about to die, then saved it one way or another. But the last comeback was the best.

This was a heavy combat run, with lotsa weapons, but for most of the game I was having trouble keeping that many weapons operational, or even having that many weapons :P. I spent a ton of time on -4, eventually even going through a chute and coming back again (alert was getting really bad), and almost died the second time through, escaping with only 4% core remaining.

The craziest came on -3, though, where I started out in Research with almost nothing, and somewhat rebuilt but got beat down again since I was still weak. I ended up streaking as a last option, then got cornered in a room with Hunters and a Behemoth chasing me, but my earlier partial terrain scans showed some kind of corridor likely on the other side of the wall, so I lined myself up in the corner and hoped the Behemoth would miss me--it did, and blew a hole in the wall through which I escaped and found some stairs to -2 not far away ;)

From there I started with a weaker hover build on -2, then quickly came across some legs and cannons--back in business. Basically annihilated everything beyond that point. Access was dangerous with lots of dead ends, but I eventually found the exit and while still in pretty good shape, too, despite all the fighting.

I streamed the whole run (vod), and highlighted the hour of the final -3/-2 comeback so it won't be deleted.

It was a loooong game overall--almost 5 hours.

Spoiler: Score: 25,749 (click to show/hide)

Oh yeah, I also visited the Mines like I promised I would, but it was uneventful so ended up just being a shortcut :P

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »

Won't even post my dump, -9 didn't go to well for me :(  Next seed!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »

-9?! Maybe you should've just taken the Mines--that's what I did at that depth right away, so I missed that floor ;)