Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 03:20:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #27 [Alpha 6] [Seed: EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE]  (Read 3896 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #27 [Alpha 6] [Seed: EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE]
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:26:16 AM »

Mind the caps in the seed! Kyzrati: it turns out caps-lock doesn't work for entering seeds :o

This week's seed: EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #27 [Alpha 6] [Seed: EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE]
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 10:44:21 PM »

Score Sheet

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I gave a shot at recording this run.  It was a lot of fun, so I'll probably end up doing some more.

- (around 53:50, things get really interesting)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:02:49 AM »

Almost won - died on Access after one too many firefights.  This is an amazing seed for terrain scanning - I found 2 advanced terrain scanners and 2 long range scanners.  Made getting through research much easier. 

On Access, I had the choice of going in two directions at the start.  I chose the wrong one which led to my death.  In retrospect, I should have been scrolling the map, since with my long range scanner I would've realized I was going the wrong way sooner once I saw the map edge.

Once I started going the right way the security level was too high for me to stand a chance.  During a fight with 2 programmers and 2 hunters I decided to drop everything except some bare essentials and make a run for it.  Lo and behold, I find the rear door of the exit.  As I rush the terminal to hack it open, I step on a trap (hellfire I believe) which blew up the terminal.  Hunters catch up with me, gg.

Also, first time exploring extension.

Scoresheet:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:53:11 AM »

*me not reading any other posts yet*

Dropping by to mention that I'll be streaming this one at the normal time this week, Tuesday 10:30 PM EST.

Edit: Okay, I at least read the OP, which isn't off limits, and see
Kyzrati: it turns out caps-lock doesn't work for entering seeds
to which I should mention yeah, it doesn't work anywhere in the game :). This was intentional because it's possible for the caps lock state to become reversed on Windows in programs if you change it in combination with Alt-Tabbing, and it's impossible to detect internally, so rather than allow that to happen and people complain about inexplicable bugs, I just decided to have it not work at all :/. Not a great solution, but oh well I blame Microsoft :P
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:58:16 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 04:16:11 PM »

sad to say that i not really found time for cogmind this week.
and i need time for a good run, so this seed  i'm not on board.

BUT ...
;D
greetz
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:57:40 AM by Enno »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »

Hey Enno you should spoiler tag stuff like that!

I finally got to this seed today in a stream, but ended up running from a Behemoth, which almost got build-caged inside a room--made it away only to reach a thoroughfare on that same floor (-5) where I had to fight endless squads of patrols passing through. What a terrible place for a fight. Eventually took down everyone but then while rebuilding for the last time a bunch of Swarmers showed up and finished me off :/

Spoiler: Score 7,177 (click to show/hide)

I didn't really have an aim for my build, just a walking combat-leaning Cogmind with more utilities than I'm used to these days. Had a mediocre loadout most of the time, actually... Still an entertaining run overall.

@Happylisk: Glad you found your ally helpful :). Aw come on you should check out the Extension branch--more interesting things await :P. Nice run to the end, though can't believe you ended up stepping on a trap that took out the terminal xD

@Shobalk: Wish I had time to watch more videos, it was fun to see you playing :D. You were in much better shape than I was in the late Factory; nice loadout. Got really messy there on -4, though you were really kicking butt with four cannons. Funny that Saboteur taking out both of your cooling systems :P. You could've really used some explosives. I only found one the entire run through -5...

That was brilliant that you ran naked at the perfect time and took that chute!

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 12:34:07 AM »

@Shobalk: Wish I had time to watch more videos, it was fun to see you playing :D. You were in much better shape than I was in the late Factory; nice loadout. Got really messy there on -4, though you were really kicking butt with four cannons. Funny that Saboteur taking out both of your cooling systems :P. You could've really used some explosives. I only found one the entire run through -5...

That was brilliant that you ran naked at the perfect time and took that chute!

Recording, as it turns out, is quite a good learning tool.  I saw more than a few things that I either missed or do differently.  Next week!

On a side note, the animation for that Micro-Nuke launcher is completely off the hook!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:39:18 AM »

That's definitely one of my favorite animations, though I think there are a few rarer ones which may be better :)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:29:39 AM »

@Happylisk: Glad you found your ally helpful :). Aw come on you should check out the Extension branch--more interesting things await :P. Nice run to the end, though can't believe you ended up stepping on a trap that took out the terminal xD

It was something straight out of Nethack or ADOM, to the point I was wondering whether there was a hardcoded chance to have traps in detonation range of that terminal.

PS, you should hardcode an array of armageddon traps or whatever they're called right next to that terminal.  Anyone who's too cowardly to fight their way out should have to deal with the consequences. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »

Haha hacking it's not always so easy, and there needs to be a fair way for non-combat Cogminds to escape, but certainly some of the special/optional branches won't be so balanced for everyone :). Even now I guess it's unlikely we'll see many speed demons braving the Cetus Guard!

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 12:02:16 PM »

Counterpoint: ninja'ing through 10 levels only to have the exit door blow up in your face is hysterical.

I'm of course kidding.  That moment though was why I love roguelikes so much.  Emergent gameplay makes for good narratives in the player's head. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 07:17:48 PM »

Heh, very true, that's why one of the essential parts of a major roguelike is as many potentially interrelated mechanics and systems as possible, otherwise this stuff just can't happen.

Spoiler: EM trap secret (click to show/hide)