Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 04:55:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #26 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Lady Luck]  (Read 5387 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #26 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Lady Luck]
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:14:38 AM »

Will she smile on you?

This week's seed: Lady Luck

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Lady Luck] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:16:24 AM by zxc »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #26 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Lady Luck]
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:22:48 AM »

Haha, Xom. (I see you edited your post after originally alluding to DCSS. It was funny!)

I'm not sure whether I should do this seed for my stream. I imagine it kinda keeps some people from watching if I stream the seed not long after it's posted, eh?

I could instead do a random seed, and do this one at the end of its cycle instead (so, stream it next week).

Either way, I'll be streaming Feb. 2, 10:30 PM EST, i.e. the regular time.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:36:22 AM »

Haha, Xom. (I see you edited your post after originally alluding to DCSS. It was funny!)

Couldn't decide for a minute there!

I'm not sure whether I should do this seed for my stream. I imagine it kinda keeps some people from watching if I stream the seed not long after it's posted, eh?

I could instead do a random seed, and do this one at the end of its cycle instead (so, stream it next week).

Either way, I'll be streaming Feb. 2, 10:30 PM EST, i.e. the regular time.
That's reasonable, yeah.

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:33:18 PM »

I was lucky enough to find chute traps on -4. I made it to Access in good shape. I found an exp terrain processor, 2 advanced terrain processors, plus a long-range scanner. This maps fast! As for hackware, I only got a few standard hacking suites from operators.

I was caught in the open (on tracks) in a secret passage joining two big rooms, near a garrison. I retreated into one of these rooms, only to find a bunch of grunts coming from the other side. Virus, ARCs and programmers soon joined the party. I didn't make it. I probably should have dug in a wall to shield myself somewhat in the narrow secret passage.

I used armor a bit this time; nothing very conclusive. I didn't find enough to restock. Eventually I wore 7 heat sinks.

I went with a record low 5 propulsion units, with 3 power sources and five weapons. The 3 power sources gained me nothing since I didn't find good force fields. My low amount of integrity was a significant factor in losing that final big fight. Consequently, I will go back to 2 power sources and more propulsion as usual. Speed really matters when the alert level starts to build and when you need to take a hike. 4-5 weapons is probably the sweet spot for my play style in Access. The heat build-up is already formidable at 4.

I'll use armor again when I find it -- but the main protection for my processors will be Lady Luck herself, along with hoarding as much as possible up to Research.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:27 PM »

Fighting anywhere near a garrison is reeeeaaally dangerous :). Heat sinks are nice because they're easy to find, but they won't protect you for long if battles drag on. 7?! :P

I haven't had serious heat problems with 7-9 weapons, but then I also prefer ballistics and only switch to thermal when I have a cooling system or something more effective than regular heat sinks. It also helps if you use careful positioning to make sure every shot counts by one-shotting targets, or more importantly lining up enemies to take advantage of large volleys punching through rows/groups.

That's definitely some nice scanning you've got there.

I like going with three power sources myself, if only because I may need them all at some point, and then I can carry one less backup and even lose one during battle and not worry about it.

Brynath

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:05:31 PM »

Well here goes, I haven't really played much, and I barely know what I should be doing but here is my entry:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 07:36:09 PM »

Welcome! Looking at the top I thought wow, that's a pretty high score for the first floor how'd you manage that... WHOA you went into a garrison :P

Those are quite dangerous in the very early game while you still have low integrity, better to just look out for the real stairs up. (That's a pretty good peak state there for the beginning, though!)

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 10:31:05 PM »

I'm getting back on the horse after a little time off between builds.  I'm finding the changes to be quite nice!  It seems that duking it out is a viable option now.  I'm also loving the new hacks.

All in all, a pretty decent run.  I had a crash on -5 or -6, so I did replay a portion of that level, but I don't think it mattered much.

I got lucky with a drone bay somewhere in there that mapped out a huge portion of the level.  As a result, I was able to cherry pick some excellent gear and make for the exit rather easily.  Additionally, I got to essentially skip -4 due to the stairs being super close to the spawn point.

I made it to -2 and got pumped when I found a security 1 terminal with some hackware.  Unfortunately I mistakenly (add successfully!) ran access(branch) thinking it was access(main).  Eventually the onslaught became too much and I was streaking the complex in hopes of finding my way to access for the first time.  Maybe next time ;)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:11:51 PM by Shobalk »

Brynath

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 10:32:06 PM »

Well then it seems that I probably doubled down on the Stupid. Seeing as I found the stairs in the Garrison... I then said "Nahhh I think I'll explore here some more."

Eh you die and then you learn.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 01:50:53 AM »

Lady Luck wasn't with me this time. I made it to Access in very poor shape but I lasted long enough that I would've been able to win had I been able to find the exit, but this Access was really weird. It seems like a large chunk of it must've been accessible only by a single chokepoint or something, and I ended up going in circles trying to map out what ended up being a fairly isolated chunk of the map. I reasoned that a particular spot which looked promising couldn't have been the exit, but as I mapped out almost everything else I figured I must've been wrong and went for it. I reached it in bad condition only to find that the exit wasn't there, as I initially thought. By then it was too late to go anywhere else.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:52:59 AM by zxc »

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 04:58:13 PM »

...failed again at -6 ::)

Spoiler: scoresheet (click to show/hide)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »

Ho hum run.  Got to -3 in very good shape, including an advanced terrain scanner and 2 advanced terrain scan processors.  Unfortunately, I had too many EM weapons and not enough of everything else.  A programmer dispatch dumped 3 or 4 of them on me, my too few kinetics all got blown off, and as I tried to flee I got stuck in a stasis array and died horribly.  Womp.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 05:00:38 AM »

Sounds like a tough -1 this time. Lady luck was so not smiling on me this time that I hurt my back pretty bad and was in no position to play or stream this week. That's what I get for walking around with my son on my shoulders for a couple hours. Both he and I are getting too old for that kind of thing :P

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 05:05:37 AM »

Sounds like a tough -1 this time. Lady luck was so not smiling on me this time that I hurt my back pretty bad and was in no position to play or stream this week. That's what I get for walking around with my son on my shoulders for a couple hours. Both he and I are getting too old for that kind of thing :P

Oh no :(

Hope you're recovering rapidly.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 05:16:54 AM »

Yeah, it's been a slow week but it's getting better. Didn't sleep well for the first two days, and maybe still have another day or two to go before I can at least turn over without pain (that'll be nice!), but at least during the daytime it's not a huge hindrance anymore!

Ended up spending more time thinking and planning than doing, and now I'm all planned up and ready to go! That's good because this next update is going into a whole new area of the game, which breaks the molds (at least internally) and needs a good bit of new architecture... Lots of far-reaching preparatory work that needs to be done correctly the first time.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 08:07:29 PM »

Yeah, it's been a slow week but it's getting better. Didn't sleep well for the first two days, and maybe still have another day or two to go before I can at least turn over without pain (that'll be nice!), but at least during the daytime it's not a huge hindrance anymore!

Ended up spending more time thinking and planning than doing, and now I'm all planned up and ready to go! That's good because this next update is going into a whole new area of the game, which breaks the molds (at least internally) and needs a good bit of new architecture... Lots of far-reaching preparatory work that needs to be done correctly the first time.

:o

Just how heavy is this son of yours? :P

It sounds like you made good use of your time under the circumstances. We could all learn a lesson or two from this.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:59 PM »

Heh, something like 19 kg last I checked. And he's not exactly ergonomic like a backpack or anything, plus the squirming adds to the pressure :P

But yeah we still came out with some decent dev progress, although moving house soon is also putting a different kind of pressure on me :/