Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 04:23:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: How much of an end game is currently in place?  (Read 3573 times)

underthemilkyway

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
How much of an end game is currently in place?
« on: February 16, 2016, 10:36:15 PM »

I'm sorry if this is asked often, but I'm wonder how much of a "goal" is currently in place.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: How much of an end game is currently in place?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:46:46 AM »

Nah only been asked once or twice so far that I can remember :)

Ever since the first release last year the game has had a complete beginning-to-end route. You can make it all the way to the surface and win (though the current post-win ending itself is a placeholder). Development since then has focused on tweaking the mechanics, adding side-features, and (most importantly) adding different optional routes through the world, and the lore and encounters that go with that.

So yeah there's already plenty to do as is if you're thinking about joining up.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

underthemilkyway

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »

Nah only been asked once or twice so far that I can remember :)

Ever since the first release last year the game has had a complete beginning-to-end route. You can make it all the way to the surface and win (though the current post-win ending itself is a placeholder). Development since then has focused on tweaking the mechanics, adding side-features, and (most importantly) adding different optional routes through the world, and the lore and encounters that go with that.

So yeah there's already plenty to do as is if you're thinking about joining up.

I actually already have the game! I just was trying to make my mind up on if this is a good time for me to start playing.

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:11:48 PM »

I actually already have the game! I just was trying to make my mind up on if this is a good time for me to start playing.

Ohh it's a good time to start playing ;)

There's a ton of content as it stands, and you can technically "win" the game.  Try this the week's "weekly seed" found in the competitions forum and join in the discussion.  The community is great and it's always fun to discuss runs.

Games can vary in length, but your first ones will be short, so you can make your decision to keep playing rather quickly.

underthemilkyway

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

Ohh it's a good time to start playing ;)

There's a ton of content as it stands, and you can technically "win" the game.  Try this the week's "weekly seed" found in the competitions forum and join in the discussion.  The community is great and it's always fun to discuss runs.

Games can vary in length, but your first ones will be short, so you can make your decision to keep playing rather quickly.

Do you have any spoiler free tips?

Draco18s

• Cyborg
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 05:47:23 PM »

Get hover movement thingies.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 08:18:16 PM »

Ah okay, it sounded like you might be one of those who was just thinking about it and I didn't see a badge (I couldn't assign your badge when you first registered last year since you weren't on the forums--I've just found your name in the records and rectified that :)).

Sherlockkat put together a good list of mostly spoiler-free beginner's tips here. (There are a couple tiny spoilers, but only early-game stuff you'd quickly learn anyway.)

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:23:47 PM »

Man. I should clean that list up a little bit. It is mostly good. Will get to it tomorrow.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »

I like Crawl analogies.  Currently, a 3 rune win is possible in Cogmind.  Eventually, we'll get extended game content for people who want to try 15 runes.  We'll also get some more branches soon.

It remains to be seen if we get elves.  I, for one, see lots of room in Cogmind for roboelves. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:58:07 PM by Happylisk »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »

A good way to put it. And yep, every release from here on out is branches branches branches, which means options options options!

It'll take a while to get to them all, but once in place we'll have the 15-runer, albeit generally more flexible than DCSS because you won't usually have to visit every specific location, but will instead choose which ones you want or think you need in order to achieve your intended goal (once there's more than one goal of just surviving to the surface!).

And of course you can also opt to make your way through as many difficult regions as possible, which will be rewarding in terms of score and we'll make sure it's no easy feat.

It remains to be seen if we get elves.  I, for one, see lots of room in Cogmind for roboelves. 
Haha, I can't think of any elf analogies, but more robot classes are on the way.

...there might be some fantasy analogies in there somewhere ::)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 05:34:33 AM »

...there might be some fantasy analogies in there somewhere ::)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 06:40:25 AM »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)