Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 03:27:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #24 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Particle Ghost]  (Read 5027 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #24 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Particle Ghost]
« on: January 19, 2016, 12:32:58 AM »

Enjoy the starting position!

This week's seed: Particle Ghost

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Particle Ghost] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #24 [Alpha 6] [Seed: Particle Ghost]
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:40:30 AM »

Yay, time to play the new build! Gotta love that welcoming entrance :D (Actually, it's perfect for a hacking start if you can chase him down and take him out...)

I'm definitely streaming this one tomorrow at the usual time: Tuesday 1/19, 10:30 PM EST. I'll be trying for a hybrid hacking build.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:27:46 AM »

Well, CRUSHED that one :P. First stream in which I've won the game. I was trying to go for a hacking run, and couldn't quite get it up and running. I found hackware a little late (only started around -7, and didn't find much overall), and was having too much trouble hunting down Operators to take it :/. I'll try harder next time...

So I ended up playing a hybrid build for much of the game, doing a little bit of hacking and also fighting, though the latter at a disadvantage since several utility slots were occupied.

Mostly stuck to the main complex except for the one garrison I took out. That one garrison actually provided me with the means to kick some serious butt later, without dying. Only half-way through the game at that point, I found a hidden cache with two Nanoswords and three Exp. Force Fields :D

Here I am shortly after entering Research with my, um, cannon-based "hacker":
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then towards the end since I wasn't a good enough hacker I dropped the hacking utilities in place of defensive gear and went full combat.

Probably the most surprising thing was the sheer number and variety of launchers I was finding. By the end I had four different late-game awesome prototype launchers.

The lift to the surface I managed to access using the new method added in Alpha 6, though I know I had enough firepower to blast through the front door as well if I had to.

Overall a very good (okay, sorta easy) seed that was a lot of fun! (But hopefully next time the hacking is better.)

Spoiler: Score: 21459 (click to show/hide)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:43:34 AM »

Nice one! I slept through it and then some :P my silly sleeping pattern

I noticed that new method of ascending in the changelog. Curious to try things and to find what it might be.

scaresnake

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »

First competition post, meagre start:

Rather lousy 1274 points in this run.
Died on -9/Materials, due to some patrols/investigation squads welcoming me.
Got out of that encouter with 7 core integrity, got sniped right after that.

Squidraider

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »

Well that went pretty horribly... Got my guns blown off and then spent the rest of the floor running around away from a squad.

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »

Died on -2, standard alert build up, though only to level 3.

This was a rather unlucky run. I found an experimental hacking suite + standard hacking suite. I lost the standard hacking suite right away. That was all the hackware I found for this run.

I couldn't find a good terrain scanner + processor or hackware so I was running around blindly. I entered a garrison on -2. It didn't gain me anything. I did pull an Index(Terminals) hack, but no terminal afterward was useful. I lost hope and kinda let myself be killed after dispatching many ARCs, figuring it was just a matter of time at this point.

I need to experiment more, but I'm wary of hackware. It's hard to find, brittle, consume slots, most terminals don't have good choices and/or are high-level, and with the removal of trace resets you don't get much out of a terminal. That said, it's better than nothing if you can't find good terrain scanner / processor. Given the choice, though, I think I'll hoard terrain scanners / processors over hackware.

Interestingly, the terrain scanner is not a processor, so you can swap it constantly, saving a slot.

Score:

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 08:50:23 AM »

...congrats kyzrati  :)

nothing special to say about my run...maybe
right after the beginning of -7 my log looks like this:
LOCATION=UNKNOWN
GOAL=ESCAPE
ALERT: Infestation compromised Garrison Access F004, dispatching
  Demolisher response squad.
Knocked back.
Heat Sink destroyed.
Knocked back. <x2>
Carbon-fiber Leg destroyed.
Knocked back.
Core Shielding destroyed.
Deuterium Engine destroyed.
Knocked back.
Destroyed Asb. Hover Unit.
as-21970 destroyed.
Knocked back.
Imp. Heat Sink destroyed.
Beam Rifle destroyed.
Destroyed Asb. Hover Unit.
as-10956 destroyed.
Aluminum Leg destroyed.
as-47645 destroyed.
Lgt. Nuclear Core destroyed.
Acquired 20 matter.
as-80750 destroyed.
as-68760 destroyed.
as-84406 destroyed.
U-05 Engineer lays Concrete.
C-30 ARC bursts open, deploying its payload.
U-05 Engineer lays Concrete.
U-05 Engineer builds a Wall.
as-26450 destroyed.
as-08986 destroyed.
as-15132 destroyed.
as-02131 destroyed.
as-24310 destroyed.
U-05 Engineer builds a Wall.
Imp. Assault Rifle destroyed.
The unstable cave ceiling collapses.
Enh. Autogun destroyed.
D-53 Grenadier destroyed.
Aluminum Leg destroyed.
Destroyed Aluminum Leg.
Imp. Grenade Launcher destroyed.
Aluminum Leg destroyed.
D-53 Grenadier destroyed.
Hvy. Assault Rifle severed.
as-38328 destroyed.
as-99304 destroyed.
Power Conduit explodes. <x2>
Adv. Beam Rifle destroyed.
K-01 Serf collects debris. <x4>
Lrg. Storage Unit destroyed.
K-01 Serf collects debris.
Acquired Gauss Cannon.
K-01 Serf collects debris.
as-52876 suffers critical hit.
Destroyed Asb. Heavy Rifle.
R-06 Scavenger collects Hvy. Assault Rifle.
K-01 Serf collects debris. <x2>
EXIT=FOUND

...means, no time for sight-seeing there^^
and than i died in -6 but wit some heatissues too..

Spoiler: scoresheet (click to show/hide)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »

After a bit of a break, I'm back to blowing up robots!

What a tragic game - my first Access death that was 100% my fault due to insane stupidity in what should have been a winning run.  It was a pretty standard game, running 5 weapon slots, 2 propulsion, 4 engines since I found some early force fields, and the rest on utilities.  I reset the security level around -6 and focused mainly on kinetics.

I found a terrain scanner and breezed through Research.  I entered Access in perfect shape, with force fields up, improved powered armor, and everything a combat build could want.  Right at the stairs on -2, I found 2 prototype launchers.  One was new to me - a tactical quantum warhead launcher.  It was also my undoing.

I begin taking Access apart, using my terrain scanner for mapsense and blowing holes through walls with my cannons when I hit dead ends.  All of a sudden, I see 3 programmers in a large haul way.  I think - fuck these guys.  I pull out the quantum launcher and take aim.  Turns out it has a huge blast radius, so I'm trying these funky shots to avoid blowing myself up.  What I fail to notice is that this beast costs 70 matter a shot.  4-5 volleys later, I'm out.  I only have kinetic weapons so I can't fire anything.  I strip naked, run around praying for the exit yakety sax style, die horribly. 

Cause of death: shiny new toy.  That's about as roguelike as it gets. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 08:39:44 PM »

Haha, nice log, Enno :)

To our new participants, pretty much everyone starts out that way--you'll be crushing your way to the mid-game before long :D. Overall I think that for brand new players Cogmind does suffer from an overly difficult early game, though this has the advantage of keeping it interesting even for experienced players.

Good run, Happylisk. Looks like it went really smoothly for the most part. I found that Tactical Quantum Warhead, too--I think that's the first time I've ever actually seen it in game. Funny that it cost you the win :P. With most high-tier launchers you can (and should) literally count the handful of times you'll be able to use it, or even carry supplementary matter stores. I found myself dangerously low on matter in Access as well!

(There is another weapon, not yet added to the game, which will probably have similarly self-destructive results for different reasons. I can't wait until Cogminds can find that one ;).)

The Warhead is probably less impressive than it seems at first, with that massive radius. More effective for taking out huge groups of weaker enemies like Swarmers; yeah it can be difficult to fire while remaining unscathed, but then you're also more resilient than they are.

@Decker: One of the main new sources of Hackware is Operators, if you need to build up, but hacking is still not intended to be a consistently reliable approach for combat builds, especially considering all the other benefits they've gotten across each alpha release. Still more tweaks and features to come to hacking, though.

Interestingly, the terrain scanner is not a processor, so you can swap it constantly, saving a slot.
Yep, its associated scan processor is a processor, but the scanner itself is a device (as with all scanners). It doesn't do much without a processor, but if you don't mind waiting around you can find a safe area in which wait to build an image, then swap it out and move to a new spot.

I personally don't like letting time pass, since it's always working against you, so I'll even think twice before expending the time required to cross a room to grab a part, much less wait around for anything to happen :)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »

Congrats for the win, Kyzrati!

Yep, its associated scan processor is a processor, but the scanner itself is a device (as with all scanners). It doesn't do much without a processor, but if you don't mind waiting around you can find a safe area in which wait to build an image, then swap it out and move to a new spot.

I personally don't like letting time pass, since it's always working against you, so I'll even think twice before expending the time required to cross a room to grab a part, much less wait around for anything to happen.

I agree, that would be a bad idea. I keep it on at all times, except when I'm fighting (swap with heat sink). I don't want it equipped during fighting as I'll lose it soon enough (I tested -- that's how I lost my initial scanner this game).

One of the main new sources of Hackware is Operators, if you need to build up, but hacking is still not intended to be a consistently reliable approach for combat builds, especially considering all the other benefits they've gotten across each alpha release. Still more tweaks and features to come to hacking, though.

I killed a few but I probably didn't try hard enough to avoid damaging their parts. I wasn't playing well.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »

Congrats for the win, Kyzrati!
;D Thanks, overall it was a pretty mediocre run, but I got lucky finding the Research exits so that upped my chances of survival.

I killed a few but I probably didn't try hard enough to avoid damaging their parts. I wasn't playing well.
I had the same issue in this seed, though I fared much better in my hacking-centric pre-release test run, so we'll see what it feels like after more plays. I'm wary of making hackware too easy to acquire, but if it's not relatively consistently acquirable then changes will be made. This week I'll try harder!

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 11:02:32 AM »

Congrats K!

I am happy to report that I honoured my favourite track of the HL2 soundtrack with a smooth stealth/flight win.

Code: [Select]
Cogmind - Alpha 6

Name: zzxc

---[ ESCAPED! ]---

Performance
-------------
Evolutions (9)             4500
Robots Destroyed (32)      160
Value Destroyed (807)      807
Prototype IDs (3)          60
Alien Tech Identified (0)  0
Bonus (9837)               9837
              TOTAL SCORE: 15364

Cogmind
---------
Core Integrity             1600/1600
Matter                     191/300
Energy                     340/375
System Corruption          0%
Temperature                Cool (72)
Location                   Surface

Parts
-------
Power (3)
  Light Anti-Matter Reactor
  Improved Ion Engine
  Light Quantum Reactor
Propulsion (6)
  Flight Unit
  Improved Cesium-ion Thruster
  Improved Nuclear Pulse Thruster
  Field Propulsion Drive
  Diametric Drive
  Diametric Drive
Utility (14)
  Hardened Light Armor Plating
  Hacking Suite
  Reflective Light Armor
  Advanced Signal Interpreter
  System Shield
  Advanced Transmission Jammer
  Advanced Weight Redist. System
  Experimental Cooling System
  Advanced Sensor Array
  Hacking Suite
  Hacking Suite
  Power Amplifier
  Long-range Terrain Scanner
  System Shield
Weapon (2)
  Improved Datajack
  Micro-nuke Launcher

Inventory
-----------
High-capacity Matter Storage Unit
Long-range Missile Launcher
Scythe

Peak State
------------
Power
  Light Anti-Matter Reactor
  Improved Ion Engine
  Light Quantum Reactor
Propulsion
  Flight Unit
  Field Propulsion Drive
  Diametric Drive
  Diametric Drive
Utility
  Hardened Light Armor Plating
  Hacking Suite
  Reflective Light Armor
  Advanced Signal Interpreter
  System Shield
  Advanced Transmission Jammer
  Advanced Sensor Array
  Hacking Suite
  Hacking Suite
  Power Amplifier
  Long-range Terrain Scanner
  System Shield
Weapon
  Improved Datajack
  Micro-nuke Launcher
[Rating: 114]

Favorites
-----------
Power                      Light Ion Engine
  Engine                   Light Ion Engine
  Reactor                  Light Anti-Matter Reactor
Propulsion                 Flight Unit
  Leg                      Aluminum Leg
  Flight Unit              Flight Unit
Utility                    Hardened Light Armor Plating
  Device                   Heat Sink
  Processor                Advanced Signal Interpreter
  Hackware                 Hacking Suite
  Protection               Hardened Light Armor Plating
Weapon                     Scythe
  Energy Gun               Medium Laser
  Ballistic Gun            Light Assault Rifle
  Launcher                 Long-range Missile Launcher
  Slashing Weapon          Scythe
  Special Melee Weapon     Improved Datajack

Stats
-------
Bonus Breakdown            9837
  Win                      3000
  Fast Win                 6837
Classes Destroyed          8
  Worker                   6
  Builder                  1
  Hauler                   3
  Recycler                 4
  Operator                 1
  Watcher                  5
  Swarmer                  9
  Grunt                    3
NPCs Destroyed             0
Best Kill Streak           6
  Combat Bots Only         5
Matter Collected           1155
  Salvage Created          1226
Parts Attached             68
  Power                    10
  Propulsion               19
  Utility                  23
  Weapon                   16
Parts Lost                 12
  Power                    1
  Propulsion               5
  Utility                  3
  Weapon                   3
Average Slot Usage (%)     90
  Naked Turns              2
Spaces Moved               4102
  Fastest Speed (%)        833
  Average Speed (%)        432
  Slowest Speed (%)        71
  Overloaded Moves         1
  Propulsion Burnouts      0
  Targets Rammed           0
  Cave-ins Triggered       0
  Teleports                0
Heaviest Build             59
  Greatest Overweight (x)  11
  Average Overweight (x)   1
Largest Inventory          4
  Most Items Carried       4
  Average Items Carried    3
Core Damage Taken          208
Average Core Remaining (%) 95
  Depth 10 Exit            75
  Depth 9 Exit             88
  Depth 8 Exit             93
  Depth 7 Exit             100
  Depth 6 Exit             98
  Depth 5 Exit             100
  Depth 4 Exit             98
  Depth 3 Exit             98
  Depth 2 Exit             100
  Depth 1 Exit             100
Volleys Fired              38
  Largest                  2
  Hottest                  70
Shots Fired                68
  Gun                      62
  Cannon                   0
  Launcher                 6
  Special                  0
  Kinetic                  30
  Thermal                  32
  Explosive                6
  Electromagnetic          0
Shots Hit Robots           110
  Core Hits                42
Overload Shots             0
  Energy Bleed             0
  Heat Surge               0
  Short Circuit            0
  Meltdown                 0
Melee Attacks              138
  Impact                   0
  Slashing                 63
  Piercing                 0
Damage Inflicted           2414
  Projectiles              322
  Explosions               684
  Melee                    1408
  Ramming                  0
  Kinetic                  158
  Thermal                  164
  Explosive                684
  Electromagnetic          0
  Impact                   0
  Slashing                 1408
  Piercing                 0
Self-Inflicted Damage      20
  Shots                    2
  Rammed                   0
Highest Temperature        318
  Average Temperature      72
  Shutdowns                0
  Energy Bleed             1
  Interference             1
  Matter Decay             0
  Short Circuit            0
  Damage (minor)           0
  Damage (major)           0
  Damage (core)            0
Highest Corruption         0
  Average Corruption       0
  Message Errors           0
  Parts Rejected           0
  Data loss (map)          0
  Data loss (database)     0
  Misfires                 0
  Misdirections            0
  Targeting Errors         0
  Weapon Failures          0
Haulers Intercepted        3
Robots Corrupted           0
Robots Melted              0
Power Chain Reactions      0
Tactical Retreats          10
Communications Jammed      65
Parts Field Recycled       0
  Retrieved Matter         0
Parts Merge Repaired       0
Drone Launches             0
  Drone Recoveries         0
Derelicts Assembled        0
Traps Triggered            0
  Indirectly               0
Trap Hack Attempts         0
  Triggered                0
  Disarmed                 0
  Reprogrammed             0
  Reused                   0
Machines Hacked            24
  Terminals                24
  Fabricators              0
  Repair Stations          0
  Recycling Units          0
  Scanalyzers              0
  Garrison Access          0
Total Hacks                52
  Successful               12
  Failed                   40
  Catastrophic             15
  Database Lockouts        0
  Manual                   15
  Unauthorized             40
  Terminals                52
  Fabricators              0
  Repair Stations          0
  Recycling Units          0
  Scanalyzers              0
  Garrison Access          0
Terminal Hacks             12
  Record                   0
  Part Schematic           0
  Robot Schematic          0
  Robot Analysis           0
  Prototype ID Bank        0
  Open Door                0
  Level Access Points      3
  Branch Access Points     0
  Emergency Access Points  0
  Machine Index            0
  Terminal Index           2
  Fabricator Index         0
  Repair Station Index     0
  Recycling Unit Index     0
  Scanalyzer Index         0
  Garrison Index           0
  Alert Level              1
  Unreport Threat          0
  Locate Traps             2
  Disarm Traps             0
  Reprogram Traps          0
  Dispatch Records         0
  Maintenance Status       0
  Security Status          0
  Surveillance Status      0
  Patrol Status            0
  Transport Status         0
  Investigation Status     0
  Extermination Status     0
  Reinforcement Status     0
  Assault Status           0
  Recall Investigation     0
  Recall Extermination     0
  Recall Reinforcements    0
  Recall Assault           0
  Hauler Manifests         0
  Registered Components    0
  Registered Prototypes    0
  Zone Layout              0
  Sector Layout            1
  Machine Controls         0
Hacking Detections         27
  Full Trace Events        8
  Feedback Events          0
  Feedback Corruption      0
  Feedback Part Disabled   0
  Feedback Blocked         0
Garrisons Disabled         0
Garrisons Compromised      0
Robot Schematics Acquired  0
  Robots Built             0
  Total Robot Build Rating 0
  Robot Fabrication Matter 0
  Robot Fabrication Time   0
Part Schematics Acquired   0
  Parts Built              0
  Total Part Build Rating  0
  Part Fabrication Matter  0
  Part Fabrication Time    0
Parts Repaired             0
  Part Repair Time         0
Parts Recycled             0
  Recycled Matter          0
  Retrieved Matter         0
Parts Scanalyzed           0
  Part Schematics Acquired 0
  Parts Damaged            0
Robot Analysis Total       0
Robots Rewired             0
Robots Hacked              1
  Non-combat               14
  Combat                   0
  Parse                    0
  Link                     0
  Rebooted                 8
  Overloaded               5
  Assimilated              0
  Manual                   0
  Secondary                1
Robot Hack Failures        6
Allies Hacked              0
Hacks Repelled             0
Total Allies               0
  Largest Group            0
  Highest-Rated Group      0
  Highest-Rated Ally       0
Total Orders               0
  STAY                     0
  GOTO                     0
  ROAM                     0
  FOLLOW                   0
  GUARD                    0
  AID                      0
  BUILD                    0
  TUNNEL                   0
  DROP                     0
  PICKUP                   0
  COLLECT                  0
  EXPLORE                  0
  RETURN                   0
Terraforming Orders        0
  Walls Built              0
  Walls Tunneled           0
Ally Attacks               0
  Total Damage             0
  Kills                    0
Allies Corrupted           0
Allies Melted              0
Peak Influence             183
  Average Influence        15
  Final Influence          183
Maximum Alert Level        0
  Low Security (%)         100
  Level 1                  0
  Level 2                  0
  Level 3                  0
  Level 4                  0
  Level 5                  0
Squads Dispatched          15
  Investigation            8
  Extermination            2
  Reinforcement            5
  Assault                  0
  Garrison                 0
Exploration Rate (%)       14
  Regions Visited          13
Garrisons Visited          0
  Relays Disabled          0
  Generators Disabled      0
Network Hubs Disabled      0
Turns Passed               2720
  Depth 11                 68
  Depth 10                 288
  Depth 9                  205
  Depth 8                  297
  Depth 7                  162
  Depth 6                  194
  Depth 5                  106
  Depth 4                  744
  Depth 3                  372
  Depth 2                  132
  Depth 1                  152
  Scrapyard                68
  Materials                675
  Factory                  1206
  Research                 504
  Access                   152
  Mines                    115

Prototype IDs
---------------

Alien Tech Recovered
----------------------
None

Game
------
Seed: Particle Ghost
^Manual?: 1
Play Time: 90 min
Sessions: 1
Mod: N/A
Game No.: 41
ASCII: 1
Keyboard: 1
Movement: Numpad
Fullscreen: 1
Font: 18/Terminus
Map View: 76x50

X=9444548026318730848666668039

• Looks like I got a lot of points for the turncount, although I actually wasted heaps of turns in factory waiting out patrols and wasn't trying to be particularly fast.
  • Hacking is definitely a lot sweeter now.
  • I was annoyed that my sensors (which I only got at -4) were blown off soon after.
  • I learnt that datajack reboot + bash enemy with a melee weapon is a good combo to make sure they die.
  • Early game was hard. I took flight units off the first swarmers, then dove into mines twice. Turns out flying in mines is quite good.
  • Terrain scanners aren't that great without the processors that enhance them. Unfortunately I didn't find any of those, as I was keen to try them since Decker can't stop talking about them. However, without the processors, they did help to find a couple of terminals and sometimes to work out the flow of the map.

A few screenshots for items at various points of the game:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:21:33 AM by zxc »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 11:09:47 AM »

Nice strategies, zxc! Congratulations we both won this one--and Happylisk came really really close :P

Good to see a flight win, too--was wondering how that would play out in Alpha 6.

That's a pretty fast run there, even with the wasted time. You do get a good bonus on the turn count when fast enough as it's likely you really know what you're doing ;). It's hard not to waste time in at least some areas when trying to avoid confrontations...

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »

What often happened was that I would see a distant group of enemies like swarmers, and needed to pass near them so I would wait in a room for ages (a few hundred turns - or at least it felt like that. I held 5 until I lost patience). Then I'd pop out to see if they moved on. Honestly it doesn't work too well. Playing without sensors is hard.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:14:40 AM by zxc »