Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 05:42:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Compelling reasons for visiting branches  (Read 3812 times)

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Compelling reasons for visiting branches
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »

I like the idea of reward mechanics in Garrisons and the new Hub_04(d).  I'd like to see more of them ;)

What I'd really be interested in are concrete ways to boost your score or pimp your Cogmind. 

Some examples:
  • find a special item +pts.
  • blow up a specific robot +pts
  • blow up a specific structure +pts
  • make it through a branch without being seen +pts
  • liberate a robot for an awesome NPC ally (a little of this already here)
  • find a one shot item/hack that permanently boosts a stat (permanent +25 energy for example)
  • Find a unique item (alien artifact?  HCP storage unit ;))

I really enjoy having to look or do something on a level other than book for the stairs.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Compelling reasons for visiting branches
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »

The design of ALL branches already takes this into consideration. Aside from developing the story, from a gameplay point of view it's the main reason branches exist in the first place :)

Points, however, are a very secondary concern that aren't always rewarded. Bonus points are only given for major content (some of which has yet to be discovered).

The main complex is mostly done in terms of content, while for months to come all I'll be doing is adding more branches with very good reasons to visit them. There are also more benefits to the current branches than anyone's discovered yet ;)

By the way, there already is an area in which you get benefits for making it through unseen! But you don't get points for it--doing so just significantly lowers the difficulty, among another big advantage. Actually, your entire list is either already in the game or coming at some point.

Hcp. Storage Unit, ha! I never thought to bring it back as a unique item. That's a pretty good idea :D. I should give it a special name and even improve its stats, then bring it back with alternative art!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »

I should add that from a design standpoint, when starting a new branch map the first thing I do is make a list of reasons why the player would even want to visit that map, and whether it's worth it compared to all the other available routes. The answer must be yes, otherwise in my opinion there's no reason for it to be in the game :P

Sometimes the reasons might not be entirely apparent at first*, but that's where one of the new branches I'm adding in Alpha 7 comes in: It will help you learn what advantages you can earn/find/get in the other branches. *That said, in most cases I do try to make at least some of the advantages apparent when you first explore it.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »

Spoiler: Mines talk (click to show/hide)

I should also say the Mines are partially incomplete. I'd like to add more to them before 1.0, unlike many of the other added branches which are essentially complete. The Mines and Storage in particular were rushed to be completed before Alpha 1 because I didn't want to release the game without any branches (and of course many beginners would only be seeing the early game for a while, anyway :P).

Spoiler: beacon talk (click to show/hide)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 09:21:51 AM »

Flash back to point and click adventure games like Loom or Monkey island where there was always one item that did nothing and you carried it around for the entire friggin game just in case. 

Draco18s

• Cyborg
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »

Hcp. Storage Unit, ha! I never thought to bring it back as a unique item. That's a pretty good idea :D. I should give it a special name and even improve its stats, then bring it back with alternative art!

Dwarven Quantum Stockpiler

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »

Actually, one mechanic that I would like to see is the ability to stack delay modifiers. I believe there are no utilities which directly modify the time to fire. This kind of item can lead to a whole new kind of playstyle. Think glass cannons. The reason we don't see a lot of fast moving combat builds is because the "time to fire" stat is a equalizer. Fast moving builds can get into an enemy's line of sight with a good chance of not taking fire due to its high speed. But, the moment the first volley goes off, any initiative gained by moving into their field of view without them spotting you dissipates. Now, imagine a utility which does percentage reduction to time to fire. The ability to unload a volley of 5 rail guns at the cost of 2 would be amaaaaazzziinng. Then you can have builds which can forego defense coz their damage output is that of a machine god. Something to think about....

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 07:22:44 PM »

@Happylisk: This! (and thanks for the SA gift, didn't want to post about it yet again on the thread over there--I guessed it was you :D)

@Draco18s: Heh, funny that my first reaction is to always put the word Quantum in there, too :P. That exact name would even be pretty cool for the DF reference as long as it were an incredibly rare almost easter eggy find, but I'd rather it be not quite that rare so I'll have to go with something 100% in theme ;)

@Sherlockkat: Yep, it's been in the cards! (It just happens to be pretty far down on the todo list.)

One of the problems I see is that such a utility would be extremely powerful, though at least it would be less advantageous than when the idea first came to me, back when multi-weapon volleys were much slower than they are now. (Honestly if you stack lots of weapon slots you already can be a machine god :D.)

It would probably be a rather costly utility to use, either that or be one of the special rare utilities that you have to go somewhere specific to retrieve and will probably only ever get one, in which case it wouldn't really be a standard part of your strategy. Also I was thinking that such an item might work better (mechanics-wise) the fewer weapons you are firing, although from a logic standpoint it would seem that the reverse should be true. I'll have to examine the numbers when the time comes.

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 07:46:28 PM »

It would probably be a rather costly utility to use, either that or be one of the special rare utilities that you have to go somewhere specific to retrieve and will probably only ever get one, in which case it wouldn't really be a standard part of your strategy.

I think it would be ok-ish if its upkeep is about the same level as ECM suites. I don't know why I feel that way :D. I just do. (edit: Thought about it a bit more. It seems like this utility should let the cogmind pull ahead in short encounters while punishing longer ones. That's why I was thinking really high energy upkeep would balance out its ability. Given how expensive it is to run ECMs, a similar energy upkeep should make this utility hard to stack)

Also I was thinking that such an item might work better (mechanics-wise) the fewer weapons you are firing, although from a logic standpoint it would seem that the reverse should be true.

You are absolutely correct. I had the exact same thought after I posted that. Firing 2 weapons at 100 time is better, coz you can get 2 full volleys off before taking return fire than say firing 4 at 200 time where you will take return fire and a 4-wide volley might overkill anyway. It would also fit the romantic view of an alpha-striking cogmind which is more lean and mean than a lumbering tank :D.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:51:02 PM by Sherlockkat »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 07:53:36 PM »

I think it would be ok-ish if its upkeep is about the same level as ECM suites. I don't know why I feel that way :D. I just do.
Heh, well ECMs are one of the highest upkeep utilities in the game, and they were designed to generally require their own dedicated power source (or alternative energy equivalent) to operate, so maybe that's it :)

You are absolutely correct. I had the exact same thought after I posted that. Firing 2 weapons at 100 time is better, coz you can get 2 full volleys off before taking return fire than say firing 4 at 200 time where you will take return fire and a 4-wide volley might overkill anyway. It would also fit the romantic view of an alpha-striking cogmind which is more lean and mean than a lumbering tank :D.
Good way to put it. I'd probably end up going with that. Strategically it does open up truly new options rather than simply improving on an already effective existing one.