Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 04:26:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #23 [Alpha 5c] [Seed: Sneaky Beaky]  (Read 1931 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #23 [Alpha 5c] [Seed: Sneaky Beaky]
« on: January 09, 2016, 04:03:40 AM »

I am losing track of the days due to my unusual sleeping pattern. Oops! Sorry about that.

This week's seed: Sneaky Beaky

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Sneaky Beaky] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #23 [Alpha 5c] [Seed: Sneaky Beaky]
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:47:14 AM »

Hm, well, I ran out of time for the last seed, but this one I'll be streaming, so I definitely won't miss it. The time will be Tuesday, January 12th, 10:30 PM EST.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #23 [Alpha 5c] [Seed: Sneaky Beaky]
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:19:57 PM »

I was tempted to do a dev build run this week for something different, but decided to wait until Alpha 6 is actually released next week. It's more fun to go along with the same seed that others (might) play, anyway, and this was the last opportunity to play around with the way the game "used to be."

Today's stream ended up being a record short one, only an hour and a half, because I died on -6 :'(. It was definitely a lot of fun, though, and having not streamed for a couple weeks (and having linked to my account a couple times in other places since) there were quite a few viewers around.

Unlike the latest Alpha 5 runs, this time around I tried a combat build with a medium-sized weapon count and more utilities. Generally balanced overall.

We crushed a garrison early on (-7), but then in the Factory got caught in the open by a Behemoth after already having lost almost all our propulsion (hopping on one leg). It's quite easy to pinpoint the exact reason I died: a terrible decision made in the middle of setting up a defense to take out that Behemoth and another Sentry closing in from the opposite direction. I'd lodged myself between a Fusion Modulator and a Fabricator for cover, and planned to overload the Fabricator once both of them closed on my position. The Behemoth is slowly closing from outside my view, and I really want to see if I can take out the Sentry while he approaches, so I take a step forward to do that... *BOOM* Behemoth fires at me and obliterates the Modulator, which also takes out the neighboring Fabricator and completely removes all my cover. So I'm sitting out in the open... I head past the Behemoth to grab some treads, but just barely don't make it before he shoots my leg off. I absentmindedly slowly crawl one space forward (weight=40/3!) and an ARC bursts in, unloads, and everyone is shooting me to pieces at this point :/. No choice but to go naked...

The run still dragged on afterward, with a couple of almost-saves while running and fighting, but surviving at that point would've required some luck (which I didn't have...)--or I could've kept running and hoped for the best, but I was trying to make a stand since there weren't very many pursuers.

The VOD is here. We also talked strategy and a bit about Alpha 6.

Really if I'd just patiently waited for the Behemoth to approach (or retreated instead of charging past it to get more parts), everything would've been fine! Argh!

Spoiler: Score: 6,982 (click to show/hide)

(zxc: Might as well extend this seed and wait until Tuesday for the next one, with Alpha 6!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon