Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 01:42:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Access Violation when fighting 2 Y-Defenders  (Read 1113 times)

karlnp

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
  • autosurgery enthusiast
    • View Profile
Access Violation when fighting 2 Y-Defenders
« on: December 15, 2015, 03:19:09 AM »

Crash Log
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Playing in ASCII Keyboard mode while listening to music in VLC.

It happened while I was juking and trying to survive facing 2 Y-Defenders in a small, maybe 5x5 room. They were shooting me, I had just picked up a Heavy EM Pulse gun and used it for a couple rounds before it got shot off. Then I tried to equip a weapon using Ctrl-3 (I think it was a Particle Gun) and immediately crashed to desktop.

Doesn't look like the most useful stack trace, but I figured I'd post it anyway. Have fun!

Here's my CFG if it helps.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Access Violation when fighting 2 Y-Defenders
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 03:27:59 AM »

Thanks, karlnp! I fixed this one for Alpha 5 already. I notice you had activated crash log uploading and were already hit by this the other day. The trace is actually perfect, it just required the debugging symbols I have here to turn it into a regular-looking stack trace.

There was a problem with the UI trying to show recoil values for weapons in a volley that had just been destroyed. Interestingly, although I've never made any adjustments to this system and the bug's been there for a while, no one else seems to have encountered it besides you and another newer player in Alpha 4. I think it might have something to do with system timing. Not quite sure since I couldn't repeat it, but I see where the violation was taking place and it should at least be resolved now!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

karlnp

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
  • autosurgery enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:33:55 AM »

I continue to be impressed by how on-the-ball you are! Last time I encountered this bug I assumed I'd just fatfingered alt-f4 or something, since you make pretty active use of all the modifier keys in keyboard mode.

I do have a weird setup in that I just upgraded my GPU and RAM but have an old processor chipset & motherboard - I recently found out I can't run After Effects, for example, and IDEs are chugging more now that I've started doing C++ dev. Timing sounds like a likely contributor as a result.

Anyway, glad I could help, even indirectly.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:40:26 AM »

:D Cool, yeah I already attributed the report to you since you activated the crash uploads and I caught it there :). Thanks for that. Crashes are pretty rare, and I was surprised at this one because it looks like it should be happening all the time and would've reared its head sooner, yet it's gone unnoticed for a long while. Does sound like it's specific to slower systems.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon