Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 07:30:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Add a terminal to Waste  (Read 3003 times)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Add a terminal to Waste
« on: December 07, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »

Spoilers ahead, beware. 

There are numerous reasons to go to Waste.  There are also numerous ways to survive Waste (speed, luck with certain pre-fabbed events, serious firepower).  A combat cogmind who goes into waste without enough speed, without any of the more favorable events occurring, and without big enough guns is very likely to end up naked, or at the very least severely mauled.

I suggest adding one more way: a terminal close to where you land.  Give it a single command to turn off the trash compactors, and give the hack a low success chance and the terminal a high lockout chance.   

As precedent for this addition, I submit the following: 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Add a terminal to Waste
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »

I knew what the video was before even opening it :P

Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:33:45 AM »

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 11:36:28 PM »

I cleared the wastes on the weekly seed Recycling Vacation with srs firepower 8). Side point but I think it is very satisfying destroying large enemies like crushers and behemoths!

I'm not sure the wastes need a terminal. If it has a low chance to work, then only serious hackers will benefit from it most of the time, and they usually have the speed to avoid hurt anyway. It would only truly benefit the heavy packrats also carrying a large number of hacking utilities.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 11:45:20 PM »

Yeah, I don't plan to put a terminal in Waste.

I think it is very satisfying destroying large enemies like crushers and behemoths!
That was my impression, too. For the first time when playing Alpha 5 and loaded with firepower I was no longer worried about facing off against Behemoths--it wasn't a question of whether to take them down, just a question of where best to stand when I do it :P

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:29:18 AM »

I plan to ditch my hover units permanently if those propulsion changes are as good as they seem. Yet I don't want to lose the benefit of the wastes. I came up with a cheesy method (untested).

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »

I plan to ditch my hover units permanently if those propulsion changes are as good as they seem. Yet I don't want to lose the benefit of the wastes. I came up with a cheesy method (untested).

I make use of this in the regular complex and other branches. Good idea to try it in Wastes, as they are melee and large. If this works then no doubt the walls should be upgraded to be impenetrable as it would be optimal.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »

♫ Oh the problems with designing a fully-destructible world... ♫

(Edit: On a more serious note, I'll be putting a stop to this cheesing in Alpha 6.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:28:15 PM by Kyzrati »

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 10:54:07 PM »

♫ Oh the problems with designing a fully-destructible world... ♫

(Edit: On a more serious note, I'll be putting a stop to this cheesing in Alpha 6.)

:D

I hope you'll make it so that crushers can just walk through the walls thereby destroying the walls. That would be a lot cooler than just making the walls impenetrable.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 11:17:20 PM »

I wanted to do wall smashing very early on in Cogmind (I have that mechanic in X@COM and it's really fun!) but I couldn't get it to work elegantly and decided to drop the feature. After reading this thread I did add it back to the list, though, and we'll see :).

That said, it's not the only solution here (but definitely the coolest). And I'm not going to make the walls impenetrable.