Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 01:29:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #10 [Alpha 3c] [Seed: Evil Stasis]  (Read 3838 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #10 [Alpha 3c] [Seed: Evil Stasis]
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:18:07 PM »

The initial start looks oddly similar to the previous seed. But they're not the same!

This week's seed: Evil Stasis

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone.  High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts exactly seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once.  This is a friendly competition, we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Evil Stasis] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

zill

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #10 [Alpha 3c] [Seed: Evil Stasis]
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 03:33:28 AM »

My best ever run.  On -4 I managed to find the exit despite losing all my components and being a couple of hits away from destruction.  On -3 I immediately found a squadron of Plagues, and whilst trying to get away from them an Arc released another squadron of Plagues.  The game finished not long after that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

fernsauce

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:19:07 AM »

mines: not even once

I got vaguely unlucky with several malfunctioning prototypes in a row on -9. Screenshot attached depicts Cogmind's last futile moments of life before he tries to blow himself up with a grenade launcher in despair.

bluemoo

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »

Grabbed legs from the start, picked up a Grenade Launcher on -10 and headed to -9 in the hopes of finding some Imp. Flight Unit prototypes and a stealth run. Instead, I walked out of a room to a Katana to the face, backed up into a nuclear reactor which someone shot and blew up, was stripped to nothing when I got caught by a Stasis Trap in a room full of enemies, but survived long enough to run off naked. The ensuing chase was short, brutal, and fun. I'm going to have to try a combat build sometime.

Tuttu

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »

This one was better but I was not well stuffed for this level I think.
Also, felt in some kind of non-planned trap generated by the game. I used a trap door to descend a level and there was a committee waiting for me.
Still, I had some fun with a Grenade-Launcher which prove useful against that three Defenders !

kumo

• Unaware
  • Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:38:58 AM »

It was going quite well until I lost my axe and then I died 4 spaces away from the staircase  :-\ I did do better then last time (got to -5) but I think I was just lucky!

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »

Bit of a dumb run from me that ended in -8. I was pretty set up on -9 but ignored exits because I found out some haulers on the floor had Imp. Flight Units. I ended up getting myself into trouble trying to get them and eventually left with barely anything left. Good lesson in that staying on a floor longer than necessary is very rarely worth it. Maybe next seed I'll snap out of this screwing-around phase and actually go back to winning some games.

Side note: I am pretty sure there is just about nothing better to have in your inventory than a spare explosive launcher or two (EM launchers won't cut it either).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:12:28 AM by zxc »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »

Very nice run, zill! I just reset the scores and you were second only to fernsauce's winning run this period :)

Screenshot attached depicts Cogmind's last futile moments of life before he tries to blow himself up with a grenade launcher in despair.
Hitting yourself with a grenade can be a great strategy sometimes :D. That situation there doesn't look all that bad to me! If it were me I'd deactivate the EM Shotgun and fire the grenade itself at the wall to the immediate southwest of the lower Grunt.

It was going quite well until I lost my axe and then I died 4 spaces away from the staircase  :-\ I did do better then last time (got to -5) but I think I was just lucky!
Ooh, those close runs are nerve wracking. I've made it to exits with 1 integrity before--it gets scary trying to optimize everything to ensure you can reach that exit. Before that point it's easier to not pay so much attention to integrity.

Side note: I am pretty sure there is just about nothing better to have in your inventory than a spare explosive launcher or two (EM launchers won't cut it either).
This is what I do. I don't like to keep it equipped for fear it suddenly be blown off, but I certainly play differently if I'm not already carrying one in inventory.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »

Screenshot attached depicts Cogmind's last futile moments of life before he tries to blow himself up with a grenade launcher in despair.
Hitting yourself with a grenade can be a great strategy sometimes :D. That situation there doesn't look all that bad to me! If it were me I'd deactivate the EM Shotgun and fire the grenade itself at the wall to the immediate southwest of the lower Grunt.
You quoted fernsauce but the situation you're referring to was Tuttu's. :) fernsauce's screenshot is lost because of having only 29 core integrity.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »

Oh whoops. Opened a separate window to look at the screenshot and apparently skipped up to the wrong one... well then, good advice for Tuttu ;). fernsauce had escaped into the Mines with just a little too little integrity, otherwise a point-blank grenade might've done the trick there.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon