Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 12:10:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: A "take from container on floor" command  (Read 2023 times)

Star Weaver

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
A "take from container on floor" command
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »

I can't find it again, but somewhere around here someone was asking for more detail in moving matter and energy around between containers. I believe the response was something along the lines of "that wouldn't work well with the UI", but after running around a little more I'm thinking of one additional function that would help:

A button that adds matter/energy from the container/battery you're standing on, analogous to doomRL's "take ammo out of weapon on floor" command. Or possibly even make it the default when you step on a filled container, maybe.

Along with this, let us see if the containers on the floor have anything in them before picking them up, at least when adjacent to them. (Long distance could be an added perk of one of the scan tools?). Since they do seem to be spawned with contents frequently, and having to pick them all up to check is a little unwieldy.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: A "take from container on floor" command
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:11:54 PM »

I can't find it again, but somewhere around here someone was asking for more detail in moving matter and energy around between containers. I believe the response was something along the lines of "that wouldn't work well with the UI", but after running around a little more I'm thinking of one additional function that would help:

A button that adds matter/energy from the container/battery you're standing on, analogous to doomRL's "take ammo out of weapon on floor" command. Or possibly even make it the default when you step on a filled container, maybe.
I don't see a huge problem with allowing you to automatically pick up the contents, although this would enable you to forgo the attachment cost. Anyone else have an opinion on this? It might be bothersome if you're trying to keep a full container on the ground for some reason and accidentally step on it, but I imagine that would be quite rare.

(I definitely wouldn't add a dedicated command for it--too specific--but if automatic we wouldn't need one, anyway.)

Along with this, let us see if the containers on the floor have anything in them before picking them up, at least when adjacent to them. (Long distance could be an added perk of one of the scan tools?). Since they do seem to be spawned with contents frequently, and having to pick them all up to check is a little unwieldy.
You can already do this, from any range. Open the info window for the part and it will display the contained amount next to its name.

Since it was convenient while looking into this, I've also just now added that same information to appropriate the map labels themselves, so expect to see it in Alpha 4 :)

Theoretically it will also display in the Scan window as well, but their names are often too long to fit, so it will get cut off since it's at the end.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:05:54 PM »

I've added this as automatic behavior for Alpha 4, by the way. You can now collect matter/energy from containers you're standing on, or even collect and transfer it directly to containers held in your inventory. There's room for some pretty interesting tactics here...

In all Alpha 4 adds a range of improvements to storage mechanics; it's just about perfect now :)

Star Weaver

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:38:52 PM »

Cool. By the way, could we maybe get an extra featurelet for a particular edge case that might prevent some people from throwing the book... matter container... whatever at the wall?

If you have <10 matter, and you're trying to attach a matter container that has enough matter to put you over 10, let it take the matter to attach as part of the same action as attaching?

I actually ran into this yesterday, having 9 matter on hand and a full compact matter unit (one of the 150 ones) in my bag... sort of a "I don't have enough water in my body to drink" syndrome. (I managed to find a goon to shoot with an equipped energy weapon, at least).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 09:39:27 PM »

Sorry but no, that would be taking it a little too far, I think--things have already gone pretty far in the name of convenience (even more so in Alpha 4!), but allowing you to use matter from a container in inventory opens up a whole new can of worms that really shouldn't be open. Like why should it or any other resource container need to be attached to use the contents in the first place? If it comes down to having less than 10 matter, that's poor planning, and the punishment isn't all that severe any more--note that even without a weapon equipped you can ram any robot to slam off the bit of scrap matter you'd need to attach something. (Did you know about this mechanic?)

(Reminds me of the 7DRL days where the punishment was pretty much DEATH! :P)

Star Weaver

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »

Ah, I was thinking about it after I posted and thinking that it didn't make a lot of sense for the feel and so.

I know about ramming enemies but I didn't know it had anything specific to do with matter... are you just talking about killing weak robots with your head to get matter or is there another mechanic there I've missed?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:20:53 AM »

Any time you ram any robot it knocks off a little bit of matter, which you'll automatically collect if you're not already full. So in that case of yours, bumping a robot once would push you over what you need.