Grid Sage Forums

• April 30, 2024, 05:42:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Corrupted Save?  (Read 1601 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Corrupted Save?
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:30:18 AM »

I opened Cogmind to continue my game, and alt tabbed to read some posts on this forum. Then I promptly forgot that I had Cogmind open and opened it again, so I had two games running. I opened task manager and killed one of them, and hibernated the other, and reopened the game. Problem is, this is what I keep getting in my save:

No items showing on the right side, despite it showing my carrying capacity correctly.

My save file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4132185/ShareX/2015/09/save.bin

Did I just corrupt my own save? Nothing I do seems to fix it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Corrupted Save?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »

Wow, I didn't even know this was possible :). I'm really surprised it doesn't even give any warnings, or outright crash (I just loaded it to see, too--same here).

A save isn't corruptible from within the game itself, but apparently it's possible that something happened at exactly the right (=bad) time when the OS was accessing the files. Also sounds like the way you dealt with it should have avoided any problem as I see it, though.

I'll have to look more into this after the 3c release, though I'll be really busy for the next couple days with that plus the event to begin hopefully the day after. The best solution would be to simply prevent multiple instances, since there's no reason for them.

I'm assuming nothing can save this particular game now, sorry :(

If it's any consolation, you'll get a new version in 12 hours, with some good tweaks for the latter half of the game...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Corrupted Save?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:28:38 AM »

Oh well. This particular Cogmind shouldn't be alive anyway. I was quite literally trying to get him killed, but he stayed alive and even got stronger. I'll stash this save away and look to winning a combat game in Alpha 3c :)

Maybe if there can be some way to prevent multiple instances of Cogmind running? Or detect that a save is loaded on another instance and prevent it from being accessed again? If I'm the first to do this then perhaps it's not a major issue, but I can definitely see myself making this exact same mistake again in the future  :P

Edit: Turns out I can't even read your post properly. I am rapidly losing cognitive function at this time of the night it seems.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:31:12 AM by zxc »