Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 05:12:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Closing panels annoyance  (Read 2026 times)

Bjartr

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Closing panels annoyance
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »

I've noticed that I'll often right-click, expecting a details panel to close (e.g. on containing the info of an item I have equipped) but because I didn't click on the panel itself, it sticks around with no feedback as to why nothing happened. I think that one of two things should change, either right-clicking anywhere should be consistent and always close whatever you're looking at  (or most recently triggered in the case of an item-selection sub-panel off of a machine, a similar annoyance) or the panel you need to click on should flash or glitch or do something to indicate "this is the thing you need to do that on".

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Closing panels annoyance
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:23:13 AM »

This is becoming one of the more commonly requested features. It would require some new workaround/hack in the engine, but I think for mouse users this is definitely an important change to make. I developed mostly using keyboard or kb-mouse hybrid, so tended to use ESC; this is something it's good to have feedback on to see what other types of users prefer.

That's an interesting (and pretty cool!) second solution you pose, though it might make more sense for everyone if I just figured out a way to enable clicks anywhere. It might take longer to implement though because it doesn't fit into the existing architecture (which is why it doesn't do that already), and there are so many different UI window configurations that we'd have to make sure it didn't break something, or make something else less intuitive...

It's in the near-term TODO list!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon