Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 03:38:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #1 [Alpha 1b] [Seed: WeeklySeedRuns]  (Read 9289 times)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #1 [Alpha 1b] [Seed: WeeklySeedRuns]
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:26:47 AM »

G'day and welcome to the first ever Cogmind Weekly Seed!

This week's seed: WeeklySeedRuns

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone.  High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics of how we approach the seed.  Some super secret achievements will be selected with some RNG at the end of each week from my steadily growing list.  Please leave suggestions for the naming of next seed or other achievements to include to my list once you have finished your run!

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts exactly seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed (note: [Manual seed applied: WeeklySeedRuns] should display in the log window).
  • Play through the game once.  This is a friendly competition, we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this weeks seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: WeeklySeedRuns] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now go kill some robots!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:52:49 AM by jimmijamjams »

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #1 [Alpha 1b] [Seed: WeeklySeedRuns]
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 01:39:03 AM »

We are all winners, but for those who care about numbers:

• Kyzrati: 10708
  • jimmijamjams: 5797
  • SquigglyJ: 5696
  • biomatter: 2256
  • Phuket: 211
  • AlanWithTea: 193

This week's super secret achievement winners:

"Who needs weapons?"
Most targets rammed
SquigglyJ

"Under the radar"
Lowest average Influence
Phuket
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:26:40 AM by jimmijamjams »

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

Phuket

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015 (Advanced Tier!!!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 05:22:51 AM »

Here's my run! Remember don't peek unless you've done your run or you don't intend to participate  ;) Enjoy!  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scoresheet!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:04:54 AM by Phuket »
I play and commentate games with a heavy emphasis on 4x, Strategy, Tycoon, and Roguelikes.
http://www.youtube.com/Saboutsplays

My Cogmind Series:
https://youtu.be/eMhPC_hVxk4

Kasaris

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »

I'm in !

AlanWithTea

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Ocean
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »

Here's the entire thing from the score file. It's not pretty.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »

I made the same mistake Phuket - I also ended up in the Mines. There was no real indication it was a Mine entrance :( I was lucky enough to find the stairs, though... I died in Storage though >_<

Phuket

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015 (Advanced Tier!!!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:07:46 PM »

Ya it sucked biomatter. You must've hit the same stairs I did because I couldn't find any indication at all that it was a mine.  :(
I play and commentate games with a heavy emphasis on 4x, Strategy, Tycoon, and Roguelikes.

My Cogmind Series:

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »

I ended up with a pretty fun run!  I've recorded the game play and will post links as they are uploaded (my upload speeds are infuriatingly slow).  I'll leave the videos unlisted on YouTube until this seed is over so as not to spoil it for anyone accidentally.  I highly recommend watching them with the sound muted and at double speed, I'm really out of practice...

Not much to see on this video, usual early-game stuff and me familiarising myself after a long break. Tried to lower my Threat Level where I could and destroyed robots.  I didn't bother with the Scanalyzers/Fabricators as I was trying to go through the run a bit quicker than usual.  On Level -9 I found a cache of Improved Targeting Computers. Video ends a little into Level -9.

I lose all my weapons early on, but manage to find a very conveniently placed Heavy Assault Rifle, I blow up some reactors, make it to Level -8, and then head straight to Storage.  Things get a bit crazy in Storage, came across several squads at once and got cornered at several points.  Luckily the weapons all held out long enough to cut a path through.  Video ends on Level -8/Storage.

Just when I thought things weren't crazy enough I found a cache of deactivated troopers followed shortly by a cache of drone bays, then it was straight to -7/Factory.  I sent all my minions everywhere and had an opportunity to convert to Flight Units.  After getting cornered stray lasers destroyed some nearby reactors and created a new pathway.  I destroy some more Neutrino Reactors :), kill my first Programmer for the seed, and rewire a deactivated Grunt.  Video ends on Level -7/Factory.

I find the stairs to Level -6/Factory around the next corner.  I destroy some more reactors, but this time it reveals a squad of grunts and an ARC full of Swarmers so I bravely run away from several different encounters.  I get obliterated by another squad who destroy some more reactors which creates another escape path, but only delays my death by a small margin.

Final score:

Edit: Added some more info about the videos for people who can't be bothered watching them. Final video link has been added.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:16:13 PM by jimmijamjams »

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:22:19 AM »

Oh dear...  Did you end up in the mines too?

I made the same mistake Phuket - I also ended up in the Mines. There was no real indication it was a Mine entrance :( I was lucky enough to find the stairs, though... I died in Storage though >_<

Ya it sucked biomatter. You must've hit the same stairs I did because I couldn't find any indication at all that it was a mine.  :(

Eesh... Sounds like that Mine entrance put a spanner in the works.  Maybe the next seed should be AvoidTheMines...

Also, great post, Phuket.  It was good to see where you went and where things went wrong :P  Make sure to upload your scoresheet file so I can work out if you win any of the super secret achievements at the end of the week :)

AlanWithTea

• Unaware
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Ocean
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:57:24 AM »

Oh dear...  Did you end up in the mines too?

I have no idea. I'm not sure I ended up anywhere. ;D

Phuket

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 08:05:57 AM »

Thanks jimmijamjams! I went through and edited my post to include the scoresheet in a spoiler at  the bottom. I sorta just copied and pasted it. Let me know if it's ok. If not I can figure out a better way to post it up!  ;D

My Cogmind Series:

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 11:05:54 PM »

Thanks jimmijamjams! I went through and edited my post to include the scoresheet in a spoiler at  the bottom. I sorta just copied and pasted it. Let me know if it's ok. If not I can figure out a better way to post it up!  ;D

Perfect!  I'm just keeping a folder of the scoresheets to compare them later.  I'm in the process of uploading the last video, but for those who are are time-poor I've just added a summary of the videos to my original post.  The start of the third video is something to behold :)

Edit: Err... Originally stated that the start of the first video was worth a look.  It was not... Apologies to the people who wasted their time watching it wondering what was going to happen.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:12:01 AM by jimmijamjams »

SquigglyJ

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »

Summary

Score file

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 10:59:07 PM »

Summary

Score file

Good run!  I felt pretty powerful all the way up to Level -6 and then things went downhill very quickly.  I found the right stuff to upgrade to flying in Level -7, but never found what I needed to convert to stealth.  Another factor was that my Alert Level became unmanagebly high (my Peak Influence got to 1053) and at the end when I had the opportunity to run away I fought, lost some key gear, and then it was pretty much over.

Did you find any stealth gear on this seed?  I think I only found an ECM Suite early on.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 02:08:18 AM »

And my run is finally complete! I didn't get to it until late last night after finishing Alpha 2. I haven't played for more than two months, but this run went pretty well. I went with a gung-ho route, my favorite, and was a bit disappointed I didn't win, because it was looking really good for so long. I blame the fact that I was still blasting robots at 1 AM--really should have stopped earlier, but it was so much fun ;D

I identified but intentionally avoided all the branches, instead sticking to the main complex, mostly because I already had a continually good loadout and was confident I could locate the complex exits quickly.

Here's the story:

Spoiler: SCORESHEET (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 03:02:34 AM »

Looking through the other runs now to see what you guys did...

Wow Phuket, that was pretty damn unlucky--one reason I generally avoid the Mines, at least for serious play, since they're not predictable. Seems you were trying to avoid them but the entrance didn't look like a Mine? Even the ones that aren't super obvious can still almost always be differentiated from normal stairs based on placement and surroundings. I passed that one up ;)

Looks like both AlanWithTea and biomatter both ended up in the Mines, too! Ouch. Good seed there, jjj =p

SquigglyJ that's a really nice run, and sounds like the exciting type with comebacks :D. In the Mines did you encounter and escape the infestation that the others ran into?

Did you find any stealth gear on this seed?  I think I only found an ECM Suite early on.
I don't recall passing any at all. That's one purpose behind the whole schematics/fabrication concept--if you really really really want something and you can't find it, hack for the schematic and build it. Of course for stealth gear there's also taking Cloaking Devices from Hunters, but that's rather dangerous and unpredictable ;)

As for your run, I think that strategy coming out of Storage will work better come Alpha 2, where the AI is more reasonable about lowering the threat level as it kills off your friends. As is it gets dangerously high when you have an army at your back, and then it's tough to get it back down again!

SquigglyJ

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 03:01:08 PM »

SquigglyJ that's a really nice run, and sounds like the exciting type with comebacks :D. In the Mines did you encounter and escape the infestation that the others ran into?

I did not see the infestation directly, although I recall that a squad was deployed to exterminate them. I did have to fight normal robots though.

Phuket

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 09:29:01 PM »

Ya Kyzrati! I was so excited to find the stairs I didn't stop to really take in the area around it. Although I was used to the mines having mining lasers or the such around them. They generally always stood out to me. Most undoubtedly the worst run I've had haha!

My Cogmind Series:

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »

Oh that is a neat use for terrain scanners. Here I was thinking they weren't very good, but spotting stairs is a big deal. Too bad they led to the mines. :P

Some splendid runs guys! I would have participated but I had stuff to do for uni all week. When I had spare moment, I had to finish off my promising game in progress. Then, when I was finally about to start, Alpha 2 was released! Doesn't matter, I enjoyed reading through this thread.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »

I'm sure there will be more coming soon, this time with Alpha 2 :D. These seed runs are great since you can compare what you did to everyone else in a similar position. Thanks jimmi!

Imagine having the best-range scanners with a high density... you'll be much more likely to find stairs.