Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 11:08:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Showing the depth identified exits lead to  (Read 308 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
Showing the depth identified exits lead to
« on: April 10, 2024, 03:14:19 AM »

The suggestion is for identified exits to also show the depth of the area they lead to. I feel like that would be fairly logical, at least with Signal Interpreters.

Before Subcaves were added, the fact that there's no indication as to the depth of where an exit leads to was only relevant when exiting Garrisons.
Now that the Subcaves exist and can lead to Recycling, no matter the depth of Recycling, that becomes a bit more of an issue.

Maybe it's by design, but the fact is that it isn't reliably possible to figure out the depth of Recyling while going to the Subcaves is fairly annoying to me.
I want to go to the Subcaves for what i can find in there, and i also want to go to Recycling for the same reason, but only if it isn't at -9. However, since Subcaves always lead to -8, the only way i can ever go to both in the same run is by either :
-Finding out Recycling's depth thanks to tunnelling, which, with two tunnelling opportunities, would only work out ~20,526315789% of the time, assuming tunnelling can't reveal Mines. And only about a third of that would have Recycling at -9.
-Taking a gamble that recycling will be at -9. If the gamble fails, which it will most of the time, then i miss out on one or both Lower Caves branches. That gamble is not worth it to me.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Showing the depth identified exits lead to
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 04:03:13 AM »

The lack of that information is indeed by design, and will not be added. You will have to gamble!

But, be aware that you're talking about new branch areas that haven't even been completed yet, so it's still early to be weighing what is and isn't worth it in the bigger picture. You'll be seeing more.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 10:17:09 AM »

Yeah, the way the Scrap Engine is just laying on the ground clearly implies that it isn't its final place in the game world.
I am never taking that gamble again, though. My first experience with it was bad enough. I didn't imagine i would skip a total of four depths to end up in -5.
I was also (and still am) unfamiliar with the Scam Engine (as you might have guesses by the surname i'm giving it), so attempting to make it work alongside with desperately trying to find any infowar went pretty horribly. I ended up getting my first Sensor Array in -3, at which point i discarded the Scam Engine to transition to flight and now the run is going much better.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 12:30:40 AM »

Scrap Engine is actually one of the most powerful items in the game when used properly :) (people have put together flying builds with massive integrity and weapons that can one-shot any bot in the game--any bot)

lyrabold

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 03:07:41 AM »

Yeah, the way the Scrap Engine is just laying on the ground clearly implies that it isn't its final place in the game world.
I am never taking that gamble again, though. My first experience with it was bad enough. I didn't imagine i would skip a total of four depths to end up in -5.
I was also (and still am) unfamiliar with the Scam Engine (as you might have guesses by the surname i'm giving it), so attempting to make it work alongside with desperately trying to find any infowar went pretty horribly. I ended up getting my first Sensor Array in -3, at which point i discarded the Scam Engine to transition to flight and now the run is going much better.

Recently a guide was created by some on the Discord about the scrap engine.
https://noemica.github.io/cog-minder/wiki.html#Scrap%20Engine

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 02:47:57 AM »

Thanks! It isn't as informative as i hoped, but still very useful.

Scrap Engine is actually one of the most powerful items in the game when used properly :) (people have put together flying builds with massive integrity and weapons that can one-shot any bot in the game--any bot)
I don't doubt its power when used well (and with sensors to avoid constant fights), though i wasn't expecting the "one-shot any bot" part.
After reading the guide lyrabold linked to, i think i can see how to create those "one-shot" weapons, which i think would need to be multi-shot?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 02:55:42 AM »

Multi-shot would help increase total damage output, for sure. It's more likely to spread, but if you can overcome that while at the same time having a large multislot weapon, it punches through anything, not to mention imagine creating such a thing that not even any damage resists can block ;)

Multislot constructs, and maximizing your total number of constructs for even more compounding bonuses, are where it's at. We've seen some insane construct builds before.

lyrabold

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 10:23:45 AM »

Thanks! It isn't as informative as i hoped, but still very useful.

What information were you hoping for?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 07:04:42 PM »

Indeed it seems like quite a comprehensive guide...

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 02:58:15 AM »

What information were you hoping for?
How it interacts with multi-slot parts, weapons with special effects and AAs.

I seriously doubt that the Scrap Engine would be compatible with AAs (and i know that it isn't with special weapons like Flamers), but the article makes no mention of that.

By "weapon with special effects", i mean stuff like AWS which fires automatically, YOLO Cannon, PS and PC, which create explosions on the point of impact, and so on. Effects that aren't part of of regular stats, unlike overloading, waypoints, and so on. Even if their effects can't be applied (i don't actually know but assume not), some things like the AWS/Autocannon have extremely good statistics. Can weapons with such special effects still be given to the Scrap Engine?

Multi-slot parts, especially weapons, tend to have better stats that their one-slot counterparts. Do those count as multiple parts? Do they get some kind of negative modifier? Or are they simply that good?

I also noticed some stuff missing and some errors :
-I think the "Broken/Faulty parts" segment title should also mention low-integrity parts in its title, and should also mention corrupted parts in both its title and segment, as those also don't do any.
-The "list of special stats/abilities applicable to constructs mention"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but says that this is never lost on type change, which definitely isn't right.
-There's no mention of the weapon constructs being immune to misfires (or at least, when you're not attempting to shoot something).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 03:01:20 AM by R-26 Lightspeed »