Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 01:10:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Strategy: getting past the Beast  (Read 312 times)

Baxter

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Strategy: getting past the Beast
« on: March 01, 2024, 10:34:07 PM »

Hello all!

I'm a recent player of Cogmind. (Thanks, Kyzrati, for a fantastic game!)

I'm in an interesting predicament in the Lower Caves, just off Level 7. Check out the included screenshot. There's only one path forward, but unluckily for me, it's guarded by a Beast. I've looked around for other paths, even dug to see if I might tunnel to a side path, but no such luck.

I'd love to hear some advice for getting by the Beast. I have a couple ideas:
  • I could remove my delicate bits, throw on the Reactive Plating and Hard Heavy Armour Plating, grit my teeth, and rush past him.
  • Another option is to shoot him, attract his attention, and hope he busts through and chases me, which may allow me retreat, circle around, and rush past him (See the other screenshot highlighting the east part of the map.)
Any other suggestions? Thanks kindly!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Strategy: getting past the Beast
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 01:17:09 AM »

Welcome, Baxter! And you're very welcome :)

Circumventing Behemoths in the caves is super common, the most common method being digging, yep.

You pretty much never have to face them head on, it's just a question of how you're going to get by either without being noticed, or taking minimal damage. (Unless you've got lots of friends, or serious firepower and aren't afraid of them, but unless there's no choice or they've got something you want, may as well skip the unnecessary attrition!)

With respect to digging, I would strongly suggest going further! It's very likely you can get around that way here, though in some cases you may have to rush through a 4~5-cell deep tunnel you dig out.

Ideally in the caves you've brought along something that can safely dig from a distance (like a cannon! preferably a thermal one), though I can't see the bottom of your inventory where such a thing would be if you had one. Clearly digging your way through with an Axe is going to be a bit more dangerous :P. If you had some terrain intel you could also better tell whether it's worth it--Terrain Scanners and Structural Scanners are both very useful.

I can't quite see the greater layout of the map to help make a determination here, but either way I'd definitely get closer to that Behemoth down the main corridor there to see what's off to it's other side. You won't attract its attention if you hug the wall, though yeah at some point they're gonna spot you ;)

Luring and going around is also a common tactic if you have to get shot at (as is just running past at top speed, but you're not super fast and we can't see how many obstacles there are on the other side), but unfortunately there is no good lure path here.

You could probably do okay by removing your sensors and plating and slapping on your heavy armor (which would keep you underweight and fast enough) and just run by for cover on the other side--it's only going to get so many shots off and your armor will eat it, though I'd worry you lose a couple legs and that might become a problem. The other danger there is if there is something else dangerous beyond the Behemoth, because then you'd be really in trouble! Such is the danger of fleeing into the unknown in roguelikes ;)

Also I can't tell if you have explosives down in your inventory (hopefully you carry a launcher at all time if possible!), but if you do, totally use that to do more digging around above the Behemoth, or maybe other directions I can't tell from the image.

Anyway, there is my thesis on this particular Behemoth xD
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Baxter

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 11:29:35 AM »

I ended up dying several minutes later because I wasn't tracking my matter close enough and was overrun by Sages and Soldiers -- a good learning experience.  ;D

Thank you, Kyzrati, for the detailed response -- very kind!

I took your advice: I used my rocket launcher to blow a path through the cave. The Behemoth noticed this and started moving towards me. Luckily, I was able to back off and, using my scanners, I was able to track his movement towards me. I led him to a circular structure of the cave, waited for him to follow me in one direction, then I rushed around the other side and passed where he was initially guarding. Only lost one leg. :P

Thank you, again, for your detailed help and input!

I'm now at L5. If you don't mind, and if it doesn't take too much time, I'd love some advice on how to proceed. Right now, I'm on legs, but I'm not particularly fast. I'm leaning heavily into propulsion and utilities (infowar), and I'm considering a transition to a smaller storage unit and flight build. (I've attached my current-game dump stats.) I'm currently at a fabricator with some nice schematics from the Data Miner, plus one for Biomechanics wings. I suspect I may be in a decent position to fabricate some additional flight units and go for that.... But I'd love some feedback.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 06:54:37 PM by Baxter »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 10:08:07 PM »

Excellent, so you did have a launcher and use that to create a loop to lure the Behemoth around. Good job :)

Saw your sheet, overall a pretty good job for having started only recently!

Switching to flight requires a pretty different mentality, but actually it does look like you were pretty ready to do so! Certainly the easiest way to get your first win. Fighting to the top in a slower build is generally more challenging.

Matter is very important to keep an eye on, pay attention to those warnings. Or better yet, plan in advance and have lots of extra or methods to acquire more. Your status in the sheet does show at that point you were basically running on empty :)

Fortunately you had a Proton cannon though, so could just shoot up some green bots, and in particular lure in some Recyclers and blast those to get back to full, hopefully before any other encounters. (You having just dropped into the map there, that would've been a good start, since as a non-branch the area would be safe so "summon" some Recyclers to top up) :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 10:10:03 PM »

By the way you tend to be playing/posting when I'm asleep, so I can't really give any timely responses here, but around that time there are plenty of pros on the Discord server who love to look at screenshots and give realtime advice!

Baxter

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 12:26:46 AM »

No worries at all about timely responses. I know you must have lots going on with development, responding to others, and so on, not to mention the time difference. I'm just grateful for the responses, so thank you for taking the time! I've also joined the Discord.

Re: matter collection by luring Recyclers -- this is a great idea! I'll definitely use this in the future.

Managed to get to -4 Armory today. Switched from wheels (to carry a Huge Storage Unit) and treads (recoil reduction) to hover at -7. The speed makes a massive difference, but managing the heat, energy, and relative delicacy of flight/hover becomes its own interesting challenge. And there's definitely more to learn about hacking, schematics, and item-building (for the flight-hacker build, for example).

Those scoresheets are a thing of beauty, btw. Very helpful.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 12:43:36 AM by Baxter »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 12:39:14 AM »

I've also joined the Discord.
Yeah I saw your name pop up there on the list and figured that was you :) (you'll have to read the rules FAQ when you get a chance to enter the code for access, tons of people and lots of roguelikes plus Cogmind stuff inside :D)

Those scoresheets are a thing of beauty, btw. Very helpful.
\o/

Dataminer is very cool, too, with links to graphs of a lot of the scoresheet data etc, and comparisons to community stats as well.

Baxter

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 10:51:57 AM »

you'll have to read the rules FAQ when you get a chance to enter the code for access

Done!

Dataminer is very cool, too, with links to graphs of a lot of the scoresheet data etc, and comparisons to community stats as well.

Just checked this out. Wow -- I'll definitely use this. Thank you for sharing!

Next step: go for a full-on FarCom Flight-Hacker build and get a first victory!  8)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 06:08:28 PM »

Heh, that indeed is the easiest way to go for your first win :)

Just don't create the potential for Cutters on the way and you're golden!